Thread: Microsoft Surface Pro 8, Pro X, and Go 3 revealed

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft Surface Pro 8, Pro X, and Go 3 revealed

And the highly anticipated Surface Duo 2 Android smartphone is indeed a major upgrade.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft Surface Pro 8, Pro X, and Go 3 revealed

The end of the Surface Book?

Thanks

I was considering the SP8 but lost interest entirely with their last W11 announcement.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Any AMD based products? Don't fancy a hot intel chip

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I was considering the SP8 but lost interest entirely with their last W11 announcement.
    You could possibly install Windows 10.

P.s. One day, you'll install Windows 11. People say the same, tired rubbish upon each NEW OS release.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    You could possibly install Windows 10.

Perhaps. But will it be supported on an MS product that came with 11?

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post

P.s. One day, you'll install Windows 11. People say the same, tired rubbish upon each NEW OS release.
    I'm sure they do, but no, I won't.

I went to W10 very reluctantly only because a couple of packages I wanted don't run happily, or at all, on W7 and because I got a too-good-to-refuse offer on the Surface Pro. But I now have those packages runing on 10, and don't plan on upgrading the packages. Most of my stuff is either running on Linux, or in some cases, still running on W7 but on machines that are air-gapped from the internet.

So, for current machines with W10, they will stay on W10 while it's supported (until 2025). At that point, the W10 systems will go behind the air-gap. In truth, I could do that now, but don't need to.

For the few things, like web-browsing or email, that do still require a web connection I will use a Linux machine, because most of what I want to do already does. It won't exactly be hard, having migrated from 25 years to MS Office (and Wordstar, WordPerfect, Lotus 123 etc before it) to Libre on Windows to migrate from that to Libre on Linux.

There's not much I need W10 for (deliberately) and nothing that I need on W10 that requires W11. Even the packages that I have that are on W10 do, currently, everything I need of them, like my genealogy software. If future upgrades of that will run on W10, I may upgrade them but if they require W11 (I doubt it, any time soon) then the current versions do everything I need or want. So I'll stick with current versions of those.

I can't see any circumstances now that will necessitate either W11 features, or other software that does anything I need either, so why bother to go to W11? I regard W10 and W11 as being like screwdrivers ... if my Mk.1 screwdriver still works, why buy a Mk.2?

So no, I won't.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Perhaps. But will it be supported on an MS product that came with 11?

I'm sure they do, but no, I won't.

I went to W10 very reluctantly only because a couple of packages I wanted don't run happily, or at all, on W7 and because I got a too-good-to-refuse offer on the Surface Pro. But I now have those packages runing on 10, and don't plan on upgrading the packages. Most of my stuff is either running on Linux, or in some cases, still running on W7 but on machines that are air-gapped from the internet.

So, for current machines with W10, they will stay on W10 while it's supported (until 2025). At that point, the W10 systems will go behind the air-gap. In truth, I could do that now, but don't need to.

For the few things, like web-browsing or email, that do still require a web connection I will use a Linux machine, because most of what I want to do already does. It won't exactly be hard, having migrated from 25 years to MS Office (and Wordstar, WordPerfect, Lotus 123 etc before it) to Libre on Windows to migrate from that to Libre on Linux.

There's not much I need W10 for (deliberately) and nothing that I need on W10 that requires W11. Even the packages that I have that are on W10 do, currently, everything I need of them, like my genealogy software. If future upgrades of that will run on W10, I may upgrade them but if they require W11 (I doubt it, any time soon) then the current versions do everything I need or want. So I'll stick with current versions of those.

I can't see any circumstances now that will necessitate either W11 features, or other software that does anything I need either, so why bother to go to W11? I regard W10 and W11 as being like screwdrivers ... if my Mk.1 screwdriver still works, why buy a Mk.2?

So no, I won't.
    Those packages? Chances are they only ran on W10 as a result of things added to W10. Will be exactly the same for W11 a year or two in.

For me W11 reminds me a lot of MacOS - lots of the more complex settings purposely hidden from the user. Can understand why they've done that, but it's annoying still as a power user. I'll probably work on W11 about 30% of the time to start, but gradually up the percentage as I uncover where they've moved stuff to and the platform matures (they'll shuffle stuff around as they did W8->W8.1 and over the past few years on W10).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    Those packages? Chances are they only ran on W10 as a result of things added to W10. Will be exactly the same for W11 a year or two in.

That's certainly possible but, and this is a personal thing for me, the dynamic has changed. I really wanted/needed the capabilities of certain packages, and some hardware support, and it seemed W10 was the only way to get it. But now, I have the packages currently working happily, and on W10, doing what I wanted/needed. I'm not even looking to upgrade those packages. Maybe the best analogy is that they are tools, means to an end, and as they're currently working just fine, I'm happy with the status quo.

Ah, but what if new features come out, etc? They no doubt will, but the thing is, what they do now does what I need. I'm quite happy to manage without new features, so don't plan on upgrading anythingOne package i use, AVDSee Photo Studio Ultimate, already does have a new version. Do I need the new features? Need? No. Want? Not enough to pay the upgrade fee. The current version does what I need.

Also, I'm now effectively 100% retired and there isn't much I need to be online for. A bit of web browsing, the occasional online order, books for the kindle and a YT video or two. And, of course, these forums. Add the occasional email and thats about it. Nothing much I do needs more than a web browser, so it's no great problem to move everything else off any internet-facing machine, and if they're air-gapped and just work, I don't really even need MS support for W10 until 2025. For an online machine, a very basic machine with Linux, or even an Apple tablet, would do.

No, it's not a solution for most people but it's why I don't much care about W11 - I don't actually need it. The notion of spending loads of time trying to sort out what does or does not, or might or might not, work if I upgrade either the OS or the software I use doesn't appeal at all. I can do what I need right now, and still can years into the future just by unplugging from the internet, thereby removing the risk of un-updated OS ... and, by the way, a shedload of other risks too. I can't be hacked or get ransomware, or whatever, if the machines I rely on have no link to the big, bad net.

Most of whatI use PCs for is on Linux now anyway. I did spend loads of time back in the W7 to W8 days, and did the painful bit then. Now, whatever MS does with Windows doesn't really bother me. If it appealed (and it's very bleh! for me) and it would run, I'd move but as it won't run on most of my hardware and I'm neither willing to replace it all for W11 nor run unsupported, so be it.

Which I why when Excalibur said I'd eventually upgrade, I said no, I won't. I just don't need to. W11 is more trouble to me that it's worth, given the decisions by MS to date. If they revisit that apparent decision to support machines that don't match their current criteria, I might change my mind but otherwise, there's just no need to, and good reason not to.

Thread Information