Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever RMA'd a tech product?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Have you ever RMA'd a tech product?

And if so, how do you rate your experience?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Euphonium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 2x16Gb Corsair DDR4-3200
      • Storage:
      • Saberent Rocket PCIe4 1TB, Crucial MX500 2TB. SanDisk 960GB SATA SSD, 6x4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus GX 750W, 80Plus Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • Win10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x24" (1910x1080), 2x23" (1920x1080), 1x19" (1440x900)

Re: Have you ever RMA'd a tech product?

I had a 3yo Seasomic PSU fail early this year, and were good about it. It took them two working days from receiving the failed unit to getting the e-mail saying they'd dispatched a replacement.

OCZ were similarly good back in the day, when my first SSD died after a few months.

I've had to return a few HDDs, but that was always dealt with by the retailer, and while they could be slow, they never really argued.

My worst experience with returning something was with Amazon, when they sent me the wrong case for my new build last year. First they tried to claim that it was what I had ordered, then they tried persuade me to keep the case even though it was unsuitable, then they said that they'd replace it, but it would take 3-4 months before they had stock, then they offered to take it back and refund me in Amazon vouchers. I told them that wasn't good enough, and that I wanted a cash refund so I could buy the correct case from another retailer, I suddenly found myself dealing with a more senior customer service person who had started trying to fob me off with vouchers again until I threatened to file a complaint with Trading Standards since they were still advertising the case I wanted as "in stock" while telling me that they couldn't deliver the one I'd already paid for. After that, all of a sudden they found that they had one in stock after all and it would be shipped to me immediately.

When it arrived three days later, I found from the consighment note inside the package that they had shipped in from Germant.

Old Geezer
    Thanks

Have sent a few things back to Amazon but, have never had to go through an RMA process.
    Last edited by Friesiansam; 22-10-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yes, a GPU. It was a MSI GTX 780.

It burned on its own. I RMA'd it under warranty and after 2 months MSI sent it back to me completely scratched and bent on several parts. Even the shipping box was damaged but it was "repaired".
    So I told the e-shop where I bought it that I didn't want it because it was in a worst shape than when I sent it to them(they handled the RMA with MSI) and they offered me a brand new EVGA GTX 970 FTW as a replacement(in exchange for the RMA'd GTX 780 upon verification).

I took it and never bought any MSI product since.

Edit #1

I also RMA'd a Corsair K70 Rapidfire.
    It had a known issue with RGB leds not displaying the good colors(a circuit problem if I recall correctly). A lot of people had this problem.
    I went through the RMA process through their site pretty smoothly until they told me that they accepted it but I would have to pay for shipping my "broken" keyboard to them for them to send the new keyboard to me. (Other customers from different countries didn't have to, Corsair sent them a shipping label to print out but me, nah....from France, in EU!)
    A relative convinced me to accept the offer after a week, so I did reluctantly.
    Finally I went the route of custom keyboards and never bought any Corsair product since and don't plan to. Garbage company selling garbage products anyway. The keyboard is in its box somewhere.
    Last edited by LeSWiS; 22-10-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

A Gainward GTX7700 GPU (which landed up not working as well) and a Logitech mouse.
    JABULANI NONKE

Registered+
    Thanks
    • AndyM2012's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime Z390-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-9600K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair DDR4 2*8GB 3200 MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX 1060 6 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-9N
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG248
      • Internet:
      • 200 Mb/s

I had a be quiet! PSU that wasn't: it had coil whine. After I confirmed with be quiet! that it wasn't meant to sound like that, Scan swapped it for another one with no fuss.

It replaced a Corsair PSU that had started running the fan at full speed all the time, but Corsair wanted me to send it to the Netherlands (from the U.K.) before sending a replacement. I suppose I should have gone to the seller instead.

I couldn't return disk drives in work that had failed, because of the data on them, and of course you can't erase data on a drive that isn't working, so RMA'ing those was simply not possible.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

I had a faulty AmpliFi Router that decided it wanted to burn itself, Scan handled the RMA for that (very well and with minimal fuss). Aside from that, just the old spinning disks of rust (Maxtor / Hitachi drives) years ago, which was decidedly a much more painful process.

Thanks
    • Namor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E/Rampage Bios
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q9650
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Ballistix PC 8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD + samsung HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 480
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ07
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 24WMGX3
      • Internet:
      • 10 meg Broadband VM

I have had to RMA Crucial Ballistix memory twice on different occasions. Crucial sent out new Ballistic memory to me instantly on both occasions without question.

Just to add on one of the occasions the memory was well past a year old when it started to fail.

Edd
    Thanks

Logitech are great tell them it's gone wrong provide the serial number and BOOM new mouse.

Iiyama are not (this is in the UK where they contract to a third party), bought a monitor with an on-site warranty and then was told I had to send it back for repairs. I had to phone their EU office in Germany to get my on-site warranty honoured, I was not impressed. The replacement was also defective (the remote doesn't work) but I couldn't be arsed to fight them for another replacement so I put up with it.

Moral of the story: never ever buy an Iiyama product.

Thanks
    • EasterEEL's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58-OC
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 930 @ 3.85GHz
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 3x4GB Ripjaws RLF3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung - SSD830 256GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX680 Core1058MHz
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X 760W 80+ Gold
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HZ27 IPS 2560x1440

Over the years I have had to RMA a few items.

Best experience was Sandisk where I had to RMA an SSD two years into a three years warranty. Very good process with good comms.

OK experience was an Antec PSU but it had to go back to Holland as I remember and returning a unit to Scan as although they refunded postage they refused to include cost of insuring £300 item.

Worst experience was Gigabyte who refused to accept an expensive 980ti graphics card which failed two weeks outside warranty for repair under the £50 out-of-warranty £50 offer advertised on the box, stating no parts available. The graphics card was barely released three years earlier and the hardware fault was well documented on the internet.

Thanks

Literally just done one with my Dell Monitor, did it all online describing and showing photos of issue. Received an email back to say a replacement being sent, which arrived today and is an upgraded version of my 2-3 year old one, so very happy with the latest. Most of My RMA's have been pretty good with various items/manufacturers, maybe I'm lucky?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Namor View Post
    I have had to RMA Crucial Ballistix memory twice on different occasions. Crucial sent out new Ballistic memory to me instantly on both occasions without question.

Just to add on one of the occasions the memory was well past a year old when it started to fail.
    Same here. Crucial Ballistix really honour their lifetime warranty. Stick went bad (which in itself was crazy hard to debug), but they replaced it really quickly no questions asked.

Similar experience with Seasonic, though not as quick. They replace with refurb, whereas Crucial appear to do brand new (I appreciate the components are quite different).

And a Garmin Vivoactive HR. Same as everyone else I know, it failed right around the one year mark (just after in my case). Replaced quickly and easily. Replacement still going strong.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by LeSWiS View Post
    I also RMA'd a Corsair K70 Rapidfire.
    It had a known issue with RGB leds not displaying the good colors(a circuit problem if I recall correctly). A lot of people had this problem.
    I went through the RMA process through their site pretty smoothly until they told me that they accepted it but I would have to pay for shipping my "broken" keyboard to them for them to send the new keyboard to me. (Other customers from different countries didn't have to, Corsair sent them a shipping label to print out but me, nah....from France, in EU!)
    A relative convinced me to accept the offer after a week, so I did reluctantly.
    Finally I went the route of custom keyboards and never bought any Corsair product since and don't plan to. Garbage company selling garbage products anyway. The keyboard is in its box somewhere.
    My experience with Corsair was the opposite. They sent me parts for free out for a case that was long out of warranty and they had no obligation to. I'd only asked for a service manual to plan my repair without dismantling my PC more than once.

I do have experience with the method you describe. I am in the UK and bought some bespoke, high security locks built to my specifications for my house. They're put together by hand and I paid a decent amount. One of them came not rotating freely and so I asked to return it.

I was told I had to re-order another lock to the same bitting and other specs, they'd build that to order and dispatch it. Separately, I'd have to send back my faulty lock and they'd assess it and refund all associated costs if appropriate. It made me a little nervous but these are expensive, low volume items and having the faulty one back means they can take it apart, fix it (it just needed an edge de-burring properly) and use most of the components in other locks, minimising the loss. I expect there's a percentage of people who would not return the broken lock and this way, they guarantee a return and also that people aren't just returning something because the customer got the order wrong.

Those locks are very different to a mass produced keyboard as they are built by hand, should be tested properly and are low volume niche items. With a keyboard they will expect a percentage of those to be faulty and a return / replace procedure to minimise inconvenience.

Thanks
    • alpha channel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (16GBx4) 3200MHz Corsair Vengance
      • Storage:
      • 6.25TB (Seagate x2+1TBx2 Sabrent Rocket nVME PCIe 4+3, 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD as cache)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster SL600M black
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w, Samsung 215tw & Samsung 941BW
      • Internet:
      • 32Mb/s

About half the DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM in my old 3930k system (so 32GB of the 64GB) over two failure periods. This was the better part of five or six years after buying it as well. A quick run through with memtest86 individually to identify the dicky sticks an RMA explaining the test methodology and a fairly rapid exchange later new RAM.

A DVR from Amazon, no issues and a quick turn around.

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

only replacement thing i can remember was an asus motherboard back in 2008 ish.
    wouldnt boot up, so took it back to Scan with the CPU and ram and gpu all plugged in, plonked it on their test bench they had at the time (was just a big bench with a bunch of random computer bits on it) sad to staff 'this aint workin mate'. they poked it a bit, said 'oh yeah so it isn't' then he wandered off to the back and got another board, plugged the cpu and stuff into that, it turned on.
    did a bit of paperwork and off we went, all in 10 minutes. not including the 2x40 minute drives there and back.
    so 2 hours to pop to scan compared to days wating for posties and not knowing what time theyll arrive.

its handy being able to do that face to face, because its a lot easier explaining what's wrong with it and being told 'that doesnt plug in there, you need press that' and so on.
    also avoided the bent pins scenario, because they unplugged the cpu from one to the other. so it would've been their fault

Grumpy Welshman

Over the last 30 years I have returned a number of devices from a number of suppliers. Mostly DOA items a day or two after delivery and returned to the retailer. Have had good experiences from the likes of Scan, eBuyer and Amazon (of the still trading sites).

However by far the worse experience was with Aria Computers who were obstructive and unhelpful at every stage. As a result I have not used them for the last 9 years and will not use them again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information