Thread: SONY takes PSP UK importers to the high courts

Thanks

SONY takes PSP UK importers to the high courts

Yep, Sony have brought out the legal big guns in an attempt to stem the flow of PSPs into the UK.

However, they're only targeting the small guys... and their grounds for the case are... a little muzzy, shall we say?

Sony Computer Entertainment today took its fight to stop UK and European gamers gaining access to its new Playstation Portable console (PSP) to the High Court. The games industry behemoth has chosen to take legal action against small, independent online retailers selling imported PSPs to UK gamers citing loss of revenue and trademark infringement.

This follows on from the recent Cease and Desist orders issued to UK businesses selling imported PSP consoles to UK and European gamers desperate to get their hands on the product in light of a six month product launch delay.
    Considering AMD are actually contesting one of the trademarks and Sony themselves have lost a court battle over certain infringements they comitted...

Your thoughts people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    What are AMD contesting?

Thanks
    From the looks of the press release, I'd say its challenging 'UMD'...
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Madness, pure madness.

Smacks of the same flimsy arguments that used to be used to stem the flow of Region 1 DVD's into the UK prior to there release on Region 2. Flimsy and corporate centered to the core.

I find it hard to see that Sony could really loose from the unit being pushed to market early over here. They have a captive audience of very vocal techies/gamers and are alomost assured cult status by the time it hits the shelves at retail. Are they not so sure of there silver bullet as they care to make out .

I for one would love a PSP to poke about with and port some of my apps over to it when homebrew gets more settled but it's out of my price range on import.
    "John Willis is a toaster that talks! - It knows your name.".

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Appaling, global market economy, what do they expect?. Can i sue sony for not allowing me to buy a UK based PSP?

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    This isn't the first time that this has happened. Nintendo are (in)famous for threatening importers with legal action to force them to stop selling their products. What this actually proves is that Nintendo & Sony don't care enough about the European gamer and treats them with dis-respect. If the games companies bothered to release new consoles into europe quicker and give better value for money (£180 for UK PSP Vs £150 for US PSP) then they wouldn't have a problem with the importers.

I'm off to play Wipeout Pure on my imported PSP

Thanks
    Can I ask, with the imported psp's can you play all the uk games when they come out or is it like the ps2 with pal and ntsc

Thanks
    All games on PSP are region free... its just the movies on UMD are region locked, so yes, you can play any game you like on a PSP from anywhere.

Thanks
    Well, I for one will respect Sony's decision, by not buying a PSP. Ever!
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D; AMD64 3500+ Winchester ;
    2x XFX 6600GT ; Corsair XMS3200XLPRO TWINX 1GB;
    Dell 2405FPW TFT.

Thanks
    But you're affecting profits by doing that! That's one of the reasons they cited in the courts!

But seriously, given that Sony have said that imported PSPs are damaging their profits, one can only come to the conclusion that Sony are going to sell the PSP at a larger profit margin than in the US or Japan. Why would they claim a loss of profit if it were otherwise?

So can we assume that Sony were/are setting the UK up for fleecing by pulling a larger profit margin rather than sticking to the same margin they earn elsewhere and giving us a cheaper unit?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    So can we assume that Sony were/are setting the UK up for fleecing by pulling a larger profit margin rather than sticking to the same margin they earn elsewhere and giving us a cheaper unit?
    That is also the only logical conclusion i can come up with as well. The whole thing stinks of blatent profiteering if you ask me. How else can they possibly claim a "loss of revenue".

And can anyone enlighten me as to how any "trademark infringement" has taken place?

Hopefully the courts will do exactly what courts in some countries did regarding the mod chipping; Tell Sony that they can have thier cake and eat it.

I hope it blows up in thier face
    Last edited by autopilot; 21-06-2005 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thats so sad of Sony

I wonder what the father of the PlayStation would do if he had complete control of SCE

Thread Information