Thread: ATI Radeon X1800 XT Evaluation

Thanks

ATI Radeon X1800 XT Evaluation

Hardocp have been evaluating (they don't do benchmarks, apparently) a Radeon X1800 XT.
    Velocity Micro is back in the saddle with a mainstream gaming unit that's billed as "the perfect gaming system designed for serious gamers on a $1500 budget." We'll see if Velocity Micro took our past criticisms to heart and delivered a killer gaming rig.
    [Hardocp]
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    That site is far too odd for me :S

Thye are putting 2 cards against eachother and comparing their performance.. at different quality levels...

How are you meant to compare 2 things like that??

And things like this:
    We know that some other “benchmarks” on other sites are showing that -- with a recorded timedemo -- the Radeon X1800 XT is providing faster frame rates than a GeForce 7800 GTX with this new OpenGL fix driver. This just shows that there are more differences starting to crop up now in games where a recorded timedemo is not accurately reflecting the actual, real-world game play experience. Remember, timedemos are recorded events that may not play back AI and Physics in the same way as when you actually get inside the game and play it like a gamer. Our results fully reflect playing the game.
    What are they trying to say? Two Graphics cards, doing the same work, cant be compared? If your comparing Graphics cards - framerate wise- as long as the two are rendering the same things, you should be able to find the better of the two..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Applecrusher
    Thye are putting 2 cards against eachother and comparing their performance.. at different quality levels...
    They're actually comparing the 'playability' of the game - I think it works very well, seeing as I bought my 7800 GT to play games with. I wish they had said something about shimmering though, because it is evident on my board at the quality setting.

What are they trying to say? Two Graphics cards, doing the same work, cant be compared? If your comparing Graphics cards - framerate wise- as long as the two are rendering the same things, you should be able to find the better of the two..
    Average frame rate means nothing to me personally, as long as it is a playable average frame rate I am a happy bunny. Things like standard deviation and minimum frame rate in conjunction with the average tell me something about the performance of a particular graphics board.

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy
    They're actually comparing the 'playability' of the game - I think it works very well, seeing as I bought my 7800 GT to play games with. I wish they had said something about shimmering though, because it is evident on my board at the quality setting.
    Ok, so... A review for a graphics card, and they test teh pplayability of a game? Ok, I can agree with that, then, why at different settings? They make comments about how the X1800 doesnt keep up, yet they dont say after that its becasue of the quality difference, they just make it seem like its the graphics card not being as good..

Average frame rate means nothing to me personally, as long as it is a playable average frame rate I am a happy bunny. Things like standard deviation and minimum frame rate in conjunction with the average tell me something about the performance of a particular graphics board.
    Yes, if they compute the min frame rate with teh way they tested, we would all EXPECT the ati card to loose, its has to load 512mb of textures every time you open a door, compared to 256mb of them...

EDIT: Welcome to the forum Smiffy
    Last edited by Applecrusher; 07-11-2005 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    HardOCP normally has these Apples to Apples section thingy.. where I can't find it anywhere in that article.. But the info there speaks pretty well TBH, I really didn't find X1800XT to be that exciting.. after being late and all.. X1800XT is still phantom for that matter..

No offence to any ATI fans..
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    I think it'll be a lot more interesting in the spring when they add more pipelines and exploit the new architecure far better. I'd agree that i'd expected more from ATI given the (huge) delays than a card that really only matches nVidia's last effort from many months ago (or at least it doesn't skyrocket away from nVidia cards enough to warrant the extra time it took/is taking to get into the shops). nVidia's refresh of the 7800 (the 512meg version) will probably keep ATI from any major leads again anyway, making it even harder to choose (as they're upping the core and memory rates significantly and still have more pipelines than ATI) this XMAS. Either way, I think both cards aren't going to disappoint and it's going to come down to pricing, noise and whether you've any (weird) loyatly to the brand.
    Last edited by dangel; 07-11-2005 at 01:22 PM.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thread Information