Thread: Uni lectures on your iPod? That'll do nicely

Thanks

Uni lectures on your iPod? That'll do nicely

Apple USA is now running a free hosting service for universities and colleges allowing them to make educational content available for download 24/7.

The new iTunes U service has been trialled for a while but is now live and being used by, among others, Stanford University and the place where it all all looks to have started - the University of Michigan School of Dentistry.

Stanford currently has available over 400 tracks and these can be downloaded by anyone, not just students or academic staff - which doesn't seem to be the case with UMSD.

Check out this HEXUS.headline.

Of course, even if this does become the norm in all colleges and universities, it still doesn't solve the age-old student dilemma - "How am I going to find time for ANY serious stuff when I'm so busy getting pissed, stoned or laid; playing pool, table-football or poker; watching telly, DVDs or downloaded videos; going to gigs, the movies or just out to have a good time; or just sleeping?".
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 26-01-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks
    "How am I going to find time for ANY serious stuff when I'm so busy getting pissed, playing pool, watching telly, going to gigs, chilling out or just sleeping it all off?

At the moment for me it's more a case of "how am I going to find the time to be getting pissed, playing pool, watching telly, going to gigs, chilling out, when I have this bloody big program to write?"
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

smtkr
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    At the moment for me it's more a case of "how am I going to find the time to be getting pissed, playing pool, watching telly, going to gigs, chilling out, when I have this bloody big program to write?"
    ditto

Thanks
    I was, of course, talking purely from witnessing what went on around me when I was on my degree course - many years ago.

That meant I was forgetting that today's students are far more worthy than most of the people who went to uni in my time.

Thus, like me, they are all boring rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish.

I should have realised all this, of course, because I have one son presently studying at LSE and one daughter who graduated - relatively speaking - only a few years back; and they, like all their friends and current or former course-mates, are paragons of hard work and virtue.

Humble apologies for my foolishly taking such major advantage of the cliched view of students just for the sake of getting some cheap laughs.

Oh, and what did I major in?

Well, in theory, psychology but it was really table football of course!

Trouble is - and here's a life lesson for you young 'uns - anyone who's seen me play in the last few years will be able to testify that I've forgotten virtually everything I once knew about my major subject (as will happen to most of you).

Currently, I have the foosing capabilities of a first-year undergraduate in his/her starting term; though without the benefit of their reflexes (I've still kept my good looks, though, or so the cat tells me).
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 26-01-2006 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Oh and Steve, please stop hanging around forums and get on with some work!

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    interesting anyone can download some of them, might be worth a listen. Although having said that, video downloads might be better, audio is usually only have the content in a lot of lectures.

On the subject of students today. Iæm constantly surprised how much work my cousin and her friends *actually* do for their classes, i hardly did any work at uni........ although that might explain why i didn't complete my CompSci course.... hmmm.... anywho, if i had graduated, it would have been for 'how to fill a rucksack full of zip disks with P2P content in class without being noticed". This was when Gnuttella first appeared

Thanks
    I just mentioned to No.1 son about this, and his likkle face lit up - until that is, I had to explain that, "no, it's not video, it's just audio" where upon he totally lost interest, cos as he put it - "The lecturers add so much more to what they're saying with their visuals". They're all using computers and computerised display, apparently, and this really does enhance the vocals.

The other thing - if I'm correctly remembering my psycho stuff - is that retention is massively enhanced by combing sound and vision, rather than just by reading alone or hearing alone.

Oh, well, I guess video downloads will come but that Apple isn't going to be willing to host those since they'll be a whole lot bigger to store and allow to be downloaded.
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 26-01-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):