Microsoft Windows software now available for desktop Linux users with debut of CrossOver Office for Linspire

Dozens of PC applications accessible on Linspire desktop Linux - including Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop

ST. PAUL, Minn., and SAN DIEGO, February 8, 2006 - CodeWeavers, Inc., the leading Windows-to-Linux software developer, and Linspire, Inc., maker of the easy-to-use desktop Linux operating system, today announced the release of CrossOver Office 5.0 for Linspire. Linspire users who purchase CrossOver Office can run dozens of Windows applications, including Microsoft Office 2003, Adobe Photoshop and Intuit's Quicken and Quickbooks, natively from their Linspire desktop Linux operating system.
The release is here.

Okay, lots of Linux users will realise this is largely a marketing thing - CodeWeavers has been selling CrossOver Office for a long while (though V5 is the latest iteration) and the product should run on a whole bunch of different Linux x86 distributions, not just Linspire.

But, truth is, it was all new to me - and I'm intrigued by this sort of clever stuff - so I thought others who've dabble with Linux of whatever flavour, might find it of interest.

Oh, and here's the list of x86 distributions V5 is said to have been tested on:

Red Hat 9
Fedora Core 4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 and 4
SuSE 10.0
Novell Linux Desktop
Mandriva 10.X
Debian Stable
Ubuntu 5.04
Ubuntu 5.10 had C