Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV over the internet could revolutionise broadcasting - BBC

Thanks

TV over the internet could revolutionise broadcasting - BBC

The recently completed consumer trial of the BBC's Integrated Media Player (iMP) shows that television over the internet could revolutionise broadcasting, according to the BBC's director of new media & technology Ashley Highfield speaking last this week at the MIPTV conference in Cannes.

A panel of 5,000 iMP users were able to download BBC television and radio programmes for four months between November 2005 and February 2006 and could watch and listen to them for up to seven days after they were broadcast.

According to Highfield, the trials indicate that offering TV over internet would increase the viewing of BBC programmes, with peak-time viewing being extended by an hour later into the evening. It would also, he claimed, built loyalty to the broadcaster.

More in this HEXUS.headline.

Odc
    Thanks
    • Odc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Corsair MX100, 500Gb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • SLI Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448
      • PSU:
      • 750W Enermax
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Centurion 5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell SP2309W
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2
    What do you rekon the cost will be if they do release it? If it's not too expensive then I'll get it so that I can view HD stuff. Parents won't pay for sky cos' they think it's too expensive

Hexus Trust = Odesi

Thanks
    As someone who was lucky enough to be involved, I believe the intention is to make it freely available - I can't make any guarantees on this, however...

Matt.
    The world is a great big Onion - try to cut it, and you are likely to cry...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Odc
    What do you rekon the cost will be if they do release it? If it's not too expensive then I'll get it so that I can view HD stuff. Parents won't pay for sky cos' they think it's too expensive
    Sorry, I should have made it clear - as moby_matt has stated, this is intended to be a FREE service.

The idea is to give internet access to all programming to all UK license holders - including, as I understand it, those who might happen to be abroad, such as members of HM Forces and those who over-winter in sunnier climes.

I've now tweaked the story to put right this omission.

However, there is no suggestion, as yet, that any of the stuff you'll be able to download will be in high definition.

That said, it is a logical progression given that ADSL 2 will be along shortly with download speeds of around 20Mbps.

Again, sincere apologies - it's all too easy to forget to include crucial details when (as in this particular case) you make silly assumptions about how much readers will or won't know already about the story.
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 10-04-2006 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moby_matt
    As someone who was lucky enough to be involved, I believe the intention is to make it freely available - I can't make any guarantees on this, however...

Matt.
    Thanks for pointing that out (me stupid!)

Care to tell us your thoughts as one of the triallists?

Might also be nice if you tell us what was involved.

Can we presume also that the trial was set up as a peer-to-peer file-sharing system?

That at least is my understand and is how I'm expecting the permanent service to work.

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    Thanks for pointing that out (me stupid!)

Care to tell us your thoughts as one of the triallists?

Might also be nice if you tell us what was involved.

Can we presume also that the trial was set up as a peer-to-peer file-sharing system?

That at least is my understand and is how I'm expecting the permanent service to work.

Thanks in anticipation.
    No problem, Bob.

Of sorts... The BBC would share the original file (with added DRM), and that would then be made available to others via a Kontiki Delivery Service that all the users had as part of the software you downloaded to take part in the trial.

The software itself is intergrated with WMP, as you probably know, but you needed to open iMP itself to be able to search, download, and view programmes (though you could use WMP after getting a license for the program you wish to view).

The iMP was actually very easy to use, with a fairly intuative interface that was self-explainatory for those with even the most basic of PC knowledge. You could use either a search field option by putting in the title (or part) of the programme, or there were daily lists you could use - this is easier to see than to describe... You then had the option of setting the download for a 'one-off', or you could also set it for an entire series (if available). There were even HD versions of 'The Planets', though I never did get round to downloading one.

The file sizes were fairly good, with a half-hour one coming in at around 160mb - very much the domain of ADSL users, but that was always the intention. For this size the quality was always very good and could be viewed full-screen on my 17" monitor without hassle. There were sometimes issues with the audio, where the balance seemed 'off', but this was usually made better by using the WMP instead.

There were certain criteria that had to be followed. Your files could not be shared with anyone who did not have the delivery service because of the DRM's, i.e. non-trialists, nor could you use this service if you were not in the UK - sometimes the servers used by AOL caused a fuss because they would make you appear to be outside the Uk, but this was easily solved by making the DSL restart and use another server...

All in all, I would recommend this to anyone as and when it becomes available. I missed it after it was gone because I saw programmes I would never have watched if it were not for iMP. It's ideal for those who cannot get a good TV signal, but have a nice and wide broadband!!!

Matt.

P.S. Feel free to ask anything else - if I can answer, I will.

Thanks
    Matt,

Thanks VERY much for sharing that with us!

Interesting to see what you say about HD, too. Clearly my assumption that everything was in SD initially was quite wrong.

Off the top of my head, I don't have any further questions - though I would be VERY keen to know what other triallists thought of the HD downloads - but it's good to know that you're willing to try to answer any questions that arise.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks
    You're welcome.

Matt.

Thanks
    I hope they want your license number or something in there before you can use it. Sucks to pay so much if its "free" for everyone else.

Odc
    Thanks
    • Odc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Corsair MX100, 500Gb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • SLI Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448
      • PSU:
      • 750W Enermax
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Centurion 5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell SP2309W
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2
    I would never have expected something like that to be free . I haven't re-read it so you may or may not have edited it, but does anyone know when it's expected to be released?

Hexus Trust = Odesi

Thanks
    Well to be honest.. its not free. If you have a TV you have to pay for a tv license. I would rather have the choice of the extra channels or not paying.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BeoWulf
    I hope they want your license number or something in there before you can use it. Sucks to pay so much if its "free" for everyone else.
    When I attended the last BBC R&D Open Day, they were showing a whole lot of digital rights stuff for use with internet TV and intended, in the BBC's case, to ensure that only license-paying households could receive the BBC's programmes.

Clearly, there are possibilities for selling internet-licenses for non-TV-license holders - UK and abroad - but no one was talking about them

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BeoWulf
    Well to be honest.. its not free. If you have a TV you have to pay for a tv license. I would rather have the choice of the extra channels or not paying.
    There are no extra channels. This is an additional ways of receiving existing programmes, maybe including archived programmes at some time in the future.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Odc
    anyone know when it's expected to be released?
    Matt?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    There are no extra channels. This is an additional ways of receiving existing programmes, maybe including archived programmes at some time in the future.
    so bbc three and bbc four shows will not be included on the imp?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Davos
    so bbc three and bbc four shows will not be included on the imp?
    I have no reason to think you are correct.

The channels you talk about are available to everyone now.

If, that is, they're using a Freeview digital-terrestrial receiver and live in an area where there's Freeview reception.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information