Thread: PURE's MkII Bug DAB radio adds EPG recording

Thanks

PURE's MkII Bug DAB radio adds EPG recording

An electronic programme guide (EPG) and text-scroll pausing are among the new features found in the second-generation version of PURE digital's Bug DAB radio, the £100 Bug TOO, due on sale any day now.

More in this HEXUS.headline.

Thanks
    Sony XDR-S1 > Any Pure spaceship crap they bring out, even if the software on the Sony is iffy, the styling on the Bugs look like someone got a bit too trigger happy with a vacuum former

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobeman
    Sony XDR-S1 > Any Pure spaceship crap they bring out, even if the software on the Sony is iffy, the styling on the Bugs look like someone got a bit too trigger happy with a vacuum former
    Looks to me like the Sony has gone end-of-line - but specs look interesting, nonetheless.

I especially noted that, as well as DAB, it seems to have FM/MW/LW - plus remote control.

Thanks
    I did a readers review a while back on here, I'll see if I can find the URL

Thanks
    I just got the original for £70.49. And they are trying to scam people like me into this new one! They have release firmware v2.0 for the original bug which has ALL yes ALL the features of bug too! So no need to spend anymore cash!
    --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleFragX
    I just got the original for £70.49. And they are trying to scam people like me into this new one! They have release firmware v2.0 for the original bug which has ALL yes ALL the features of bug too! So no need to spend anymore cash!
    Thanks! VERY good to know that!

I've just updated the news story with your info (and given you a name-check) plus the additional stuff that I've posted below.

Of course, PURE might argue that the MkTOO has controls that are more ergonomic, plus a spiffy silver finish, so is well worth the extra in anyone's money!

And, perhaps, someone less cynical than yourself might see the availability of this updater for the original as being a rather positive thing, not a negative since, they provide this to MkI owners at no cost (so, logically, aren't expecting owners to rush out an buy a MkTOO as a replacement).

Oh, and here's the download page.

And, just for the record, the notes about this download say the following:

Upgrading the firmware gives the following changes:

Added Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) for viewing 7-day programme listings and easy recording.

Improved alarm and timer functions - now increasing to 20 events.

Improved alarm function, with the addition of "wake up to MP3 track or recorded radio", in addition to tone and DAB alarms.

Improved timed record events by allowing the continuation of recording regardless of standby state.

Scrolling DAB text can be now be paused and manually scrolled via textSCAN (TM).

Improved overall SD compatibility.

Improved overall USB compatibility.

Full directory navigation added to improve SD card file management.

Added track "Shuffle" and "Repeat" options for SD playback.

Improvements to menu access such as alarm and timer events while in standby.

This FAQ about the V2 firmware is also worth checking out.
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 26-06-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks
    Heh, cool. Thanks for that and you may call me TFX although I am known as FusionXN1 now
    --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleFragX
    Great info indeed mate. Might have to get hold of an original. Is there any difference at all in firmware? Does the original have all the same buttons etc?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    Great info indeed mate. Might have to get hold of an original. Is there any difference at all in firmware? Does the original have all the same buttons etc?
    The logo and silver color. To admit - the £70.49 price was from morgon:

Its grade a stock in white or graphite (i got the graphite and i think looks better then silver) the grade a stock usually means stock that has been returned and has been sent back and items have been replaced etc.. in my case the manual and the quickstart guide was missing but pure is sending me them out

The difference? The logo and the silver color. Thats it!
    --

Thanks
    First thing to say is that - very stupidly - I didn't notice the following line in the info that PURE makes available about Bug TOO:

Thanks to PURE's completely unique USB upgradeability, existing Bug owners won't miss out. Bug owners will be able to upgrade to take advantage of EPG, textSCAN and the new MP3 features. Users can also transfer recordings and MP3 files between a PC and Bug TOO over the USB connection.
    So, thanks again to TFX for providing info that should have been in my original piece!

Second, that info does also say,

A new button design and layout refines the ergonomics of the controls.
    So, there is some difference between Mk1 and MkTOO, apart from the colour, though how profound those changes are, I couldn't say.

PURE does claim -

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    So, there is some difference between Mk1 and MkTOO, apart from the colour, though how profound those changes are, I couldn't say.
    From squinting at the picture, the buttons are all in the same places but he functions have changed around - probaby just to confuse anyone that is already used to a bug.

The new firmware is nice, although it's a shame the EPG is only available on BBC at the moment, but it does make it a very effective PVR for DAB (I suppose that would be PAR).

J

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have the MK1 too, thanks for the heads up on the firmware, the extra alarm events will be a huge bonus!!

Do i just plug the bug into my pc and run the firmware exe to do the update?

Cheers

Thanks
    The Mk 2 looks a nice piece of kit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers
    I have the MK1 too, thanks for the heads up on the firmware, the extra alarm events will be a huge bonus!!

Do i just plug the bug into my pc and run the firmware exe to do the update?

Cheers
    My reading of the situation is that the download should include instructions.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have the original bug - bought from Morgan Computers for approx £60 6 months or so ago.

However I see they stiill have not fixed the problem with the firmware upgrade software - since it doesnt work on AMD64 systems - only Intel. I reported it when I got mine originally - having tried on 4 different AMD64 boxes (I don't own any intel systems) - which have different CPU's, Mobos, Chipsets - and even versions of Windows - all exhibit the same fault - of not completing loading the driver for "The Bug". They werent terribly interested before so I'll not even bother re-reporting the problem this time.

I had to do what I did last time and take it to a friends and load it there on his Intel box - worked 1st time.

As for instructions, you run the program and it tells you what to do - which is connect the bug into a usb port - let it detect it and load the driver USB storage device and then select the firmware upgrade option from the general options on the bugs menu - at this point a new "the bug" driver is loaded (or not ) and the upgrade takes place when you click on the "next>" button which appears on the windows app (mine doesnt) - then it reboots and its done.

M.
    Last edited by MDPlatts; 01-07-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Thread Information