Thread: Wii Specs Leaked

Thanks

Wii Specs Leaked

So far Nintendo have done a very credible job in keeping information regarding the Wii to a minimum. Well all that has just changed! An anonymous Wii developer has sent to us slurry of information regarding Nintendo’s next-gen console, all that’s left now is a confirmed release date and price to complete the puzzle. Believe us when we say, this article is a MUST READ, you won’t be disappointed. Prepare to get educated…

Wii Know A Lot You Don’t... but will – Enjoy!

Anyway, we've done enough talking thus far, prepare your eyes for a textual feast on the joys to behold with the Wii.

The Wii Hardware

- Nintendo Wii’s ‘Broadway’ CPU operates at 729MHZ with a maximum bandwith of 1.9gbyte/sec.
    - Nintendo Wii’s ‘HollyWood’ GPU is clocked at 243MHZ, the internal memory of it includes 3mb of embedded graphics memory and 24megabytes of high speed main memory.
    - 64megabytes of GDDR3 (MEM2) as the external main memory. Just like the internal memory, it can be accessed from the CPU and GPU with a maximum bandwidth of 4gbytes/sec and can also store programs in the MEM2.
    - The GPU of the Wii is identical to the GC’s but it is on average 1.5X faster.

Wii's Optical Disc Drive

- Opitcal Disc Drive (ODD) supports single and dual layer Wii disks, discs eject with software or button and the maximum read speed is the equivalent of DVDx6.
    - Two main disc types supported the single sided 12cm single sided 4.7gb and the double sided 8.51 GB. Nintendo GC discs also supported. Some of the capacity of the discs are used by the system and games can not use full disc space.
    - Inserting a disc will start the Wii console, even if it was already in an off state. Pressing the eject button will change the console to an on state to take out the disc also.

General Overview

- An optional wired LAN adapter that connects to a USB port is in the pipeline for users who do not possess a wireless LAN set-up currently.
    - Internal non-removable 512MB flash memory used to storage game save data and downloadable content thus eliminating the need for a memory card.
    - Both Wii discs and Gamecube discs can be played via an intelligent mode swap. When running in GC mode, the Wii’s CPU and GPU will lower to the respective speeds of the GC and some of the MEM2 functions as ARAM.
    - Software development environment is an upgrade to the ‘Dolphin SDK’ used with the GC; the same libraries are used so developers can get up to scratch easily as well as the possibility of ports being easier.
    - The following interfaces are included with the Wii; SD card slot, Wireless controller, two USB 2.0 ports, wireless LAN, 4x GC controller ports, 2x GC memory card slots and an AV multi output jack (only an analog jack).
    - Supports Wii disks (one sided 12cm) and GC discs (one sided 8cm) and console auto switches depends on what disk is inserted
    - More than just the Nunchaku is planned as an extension. GC peripherals such as DK bongos can be used in both Wii and GC modes.
    - Three power status, on, off and unplugged. To prevent mistaken turn offs, the power button must be held for about a second.

The Wii Control System

- The Wii controller features; Direct Pointing Device, Three axis accelerometer, Wii power button (remotely turn console on/off), buttons, wireless connectivity, indicator LED’s, rumble, battery powered (two AA alkaline batteries) and ability to connect extension unit.
    - The Wii controller supports three types of operations; by itself, with a nunchuk extension or with a classic controller. Classic controllers will ship to developers during August 2006.
    - The SYNCHRO button on the Wii controller exchanges wireless ID numbers when pressed at the same time as SYNCRHO on the Wii console. Wireless communications are only possible with consoles which have been authenticated.
    - The rumble motor can be turned on and off and the intensity can be changed.
    - The Wii remote has a pointer for fine movements as well as a motion Sensor +/- 3.4G suitable for larger body movements, the nunchuk attachment has a Sensor of +/- 2G
    - The sensor bar must be placed above or below a TV set, the pointer measures coordinates between the ends of the bar which are about 20cm apart.
    - The Wii remote has four status, disconnected, communicating, establishing connection and pairing wait status.
    - The pointer can measure co-ordinates within bounds of rectangle centered upon the sensor bar, thus it can also measure points beyond the screen. It also responds to strong light sources, windows, fluorescent lamps, fireplaces, mirrors etc.
    - Due to players hands shaking while holding the controller, a ring buffer allows a precise direction to be created to hold and average accelerator samples.

Thanks 'TheGuy' for the info!

Big shoutout must go out to the 'TheGuy' for this info!
    Source: http://www.maxconsole.net?mode=news&newsid=8802

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    those look a lot like the specs that IGN made up to get page impressions

Thanks
    not blown away tbh. :/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibb0N
    not blown away tbh. :/
    so?

impressive specs and high power are not going to be the wii's selling point

nintendo are telling us they will blow us away with the gameplay and the fun element instead of the macho bollocks about specs

im pleased the specs are as they are...it means the cost will be driven down for a good console that gives you great gameplay - which is what you buy a console for in the first place i thought?

Thanks
    Specs meaning nothin, games mean everything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Pete
    so?
    nintendo are telling us they will blow us away with the gameplay and the fun element instead of the macho bollocks about specs
    Well at present this is just a promise, and the "bollocks" on specs is the only marginally solid thing we as the consumers have to go on atm. I agree with you, specs don't mean everything, but it would be reassuring to know it's got some grunt to it don't you think?

Mike Fishcake
    Yeah - we already knew the Wii was going to have lower specs than the 360 & PS3 - this is a console that can not be judged by benchmarks. It's a total deviation from the way consoles have been going in the past few years, and it's a brave step that I hope pays off for Nintendo.

Thanks
    well put mike^^ :>

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    The GPU of the Wii is identical to the GC’s but it is on average 1.5X faster.
    I think I need to look up what identical means again.

Lack of proper off button is worrying, especially for future legisation - I don't want to have to keep turning things off at the wall.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel
    Lack of proper off button is worrying, especially for future legisation - I don't want to have to keep turning things off at the wall.
    aye, lets hope they get the power features right.

Thanks
    Yeah, gameplay is the most important factor of course. But i like to have as good as graphics as i can, i just find better graphics more immersive and more fun. I want both, and accept from the bizzare control system, there is no reason why we cant have just as good gameply on the PS3 or Xbox. Physics are more important to me though, simple objects the are fully interactable are far more realisc to play with than insane hi res walls etc that you can even move with a rocket laucher.

Anyway, this is a huge gamble, one of the biggest in video gaming history IMO, but the key factor will be it's price, which is looking pretty reasonable. I am looking way more forward to trying a Wii than a PS3.

But it's ridiculous when specs like this start bouncing around the net and every fanboy starts going on about how crap or great they will be. Even if they are true, no one knows what it will run like, its a completely custom system. Even developers with years of experience will take a while to get thier heads around them. The lack of grunt may force the developers to innovate more, something sadly lacking in current PC and XBOX360 games where they simply rely on graphics to sell games IMO.
    Last edited by autopilot; 31-07-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Lets just hope that Nintendo can provide the stellar first party titles that normally grace its systems. The specs make it look like a slightly update Game Cube with a DVD drive. It may have an all singing all dancing controller, but lets face it, you could hook this type of controller up to any of the new systems. If the price is right and the games have the Nintendo gloss we are used to is should make a reasonable dent in the market.

Thread Information