Thread: Canon EOS 400D digital SLR - world's first hands-on shots

Thanks

Canon EOS 400D digital SLR - world's first hands-on shots

Yesterday's revelations on the Canon China web site about the launch of a new EOS digital SLR camera were correct. It is called the EOS 400D and does have a 10.1 megapixel, APS-C size (22.2 x 14.8mm) CMOS image sensor; an ultrasonic dust-removal system; and a 2.5in LCD panel.

UK recommended will be £720 (inc VAT) for a kit that includes the camera body and an 18-55mm auto-focus zoom lens, while the body alone will have an RRP of £650.

Lots more pics and info in this HEXUS.lifestyle.headline.

Thanks
    is their statement ""Canon is the only D-SLR brand to own and manufacture the sensor, processor and lenses in house" still true with Sony in the game having bought Minolta's camera division?
    They certainly manufacture their own sensor & lenses I would be surprised if they don't do their own processor too (the A100 has a "Bionz" processor which afaik is a Sony).

Will be interesting to see how noise compares at high ISO on the Canon 10Mp sensor as opposed to the Sony/Nikon one (particularly given previous Canon comments about Mp size & noise). Also how many fps it does & what if any effect this will also have on the 30D.

Interestingly Canon's market share in Japan dropped from over 50% the previous month to 33% last month with the Sony Alpha taking 20%.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a1tNArNUlcUU
    Last edited by BUFF; 24-08-2006 at 04:54 PM.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    ah, but the lcd is a sony in the canon...

only sony is capable of fronting up with the two big companies ,they already make a large chunk of the nikon internals so a sony dslr merely needed the backing of a quality glass maker - and now they have that too! throw in some IS and anti-dust gizmos and you're laughing...oh they are!

imo the 400D price tag is too high, I suspect you'll see it drop massively like the 30D did (much to canon's annoyance) to a realistic price in a short space of time following its release
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF

Will be interesting to see how noise compares at high ISO on the Canon 10Mp sensor as opposed to the Sony/Nikon one (particularly given previous Canon comments about Mp size & noise). Also how many fps it does & what if any effect this will also have on the 30D.
    I've now updated the article to include the full specs.

The only way I could do that - cos the list is so long - was to create a PDF, so you can view that or download it.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Very nice specs indeed.

I might buy a more advanced camera like this one in a few (at least 2) years once I've learnt to use them properly and thats if I'm still snapping. It's all good fun for me at the moment, but with any new toy I'll have to see if it's "fun" factor still appeals in 12 months

It's also nice to see a solution to the age old dust problem - but have they said on how much this solution uses and is it detrimental to the batteries life?

ayembee
    canon were nastily broadsided by the 200D and the imminent 80D -- it's hardly been any time at all since the release of the 350D! deciding to give those two cameras an 8MP sensor was a major blunder...

further, the semi-pro body (the 30D) is now outclassed on the sensor front by the cheaper model, and that is not something that has ever happened before, and is no doubt something they would really want to have avoided -- i mean, playing catchup at the higher end to your lower end models?? youch...

i have an EOS D60, and wasn't tempted by an upgrade to 10D, 20D, or 30D -- now if they come out with a 12MP D40 in a few months, i might start thinking about it...

Thread Information