Thread: Lite-On SHM-165H6S burn-everything LightScribe E-IDE writer

Thanks

Lite-On SHM-165H6S burn-everything LightScribe E-IDE writer

Lite-On is now selling across Europe a burn-everything internal E-IDE DVD-writer, the SHM-165H6S, that's able to create labels directly to disc using the LightScribe system.

The unit is said to write to DVD-RAM at 5x, burn to both types of dual-layer media - at 8x for DVD+R9 and 4x for DVD-R9 - and create labels on LightScribe CDs and DVDs at 1.6x.

It also features Super AllWrite - a technology that should increase the likelihood of successfully writes to poor-quality discs.

More in this HEXUS.lifestyle.headline.

Thanks
    All these nice features and it's an IDE drive.
    Doh!

Number of IDE ports available as standard on Intel 965 chipsets? Zero.
    Number of optical drive manufacturers with a clue who make SATA drives? Two (Plextor and Samsung).

Thanks
    ive got a gigabyte DS4 that has an ide port?

Thanks
    All the 965 boards available now have IDE available through an add-on chip. That chip cost you money, not to mention that there's only 1 IDE channel. So if you want to bring over an IDE HD from your old system it'll be running with reduced throughput if you put in an IDE optical drive as well.

[Edit] In fact I'm unable to find any new MB for Intel CPUs that has 2 IDE channels.

Thanks
    I thought about kicking Lite-On to death about this when I wrote the piece but didn't.

Why?

Well, first off, I knew that you good people wouldn't let this pass without comment.

But the main reason was because of the very odd situation that I know exists between Lite-On's retail division and its factories.

The retail side of things - certainly in Europe - seems to be last in the pecking order.

So it seems only to get product once all the factories' orders from OEM customers have been met.

So, my suspicion is that the poor bleeders were just grateful to get what they could, whether it's E-IDE/PATA or SATA!

I also think that a lot of the production of this product will have been destined for use in external drive housings - probably USB 2.0 - and that E-IDE versions of such housing are still probably considerably cheaper than SATA. And that leads me to another thought...

...I can only speak for myself but every PC I own has a DVD burner in it, so I'm always placed in an awkward position if a new DVD technology comes along that I'd like to be able to use with all my machines.

One way would be to buy a new burner for the two main PCs and shuffle the various writers around so that there's a trickle-down improvement in the specs of the burners in all PCs.

But I'm a cheapskate and don't want to buy two burners at a stretch and, anyway, that would only let me use the new-gen stuff on two machines.

So, my very best burner always sits in an external caddy - a FireWire/USB 2.0 unit - so I can use it if needs be on any of the five PCs in the house that are always set up.

When I buy into a new generation of DVD burner, the old one comes out and replaces the one in the PC on which I do most burning - and then the trickle-down effect proper kicks in - but I can still use the new-gen burner on any machine.

Okay, I agree that SATA is the only sensible option if you're going to put it within a modern PC - so really, Lite-On should have offered SATA and PATA versions (at the same price) - but I'm guessing that all the production of SATA versions is currently being directed to OEM customers and the retail side will only get its nose in the trough some time later.

But anyone who, like me, wants to burn the latest disc types on multiple PCs might consider SATA problemmatic - until they buy a SATA>USB/FireWire external drive bay.

Bottom line though - I must be going soft!

Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 16-08-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    • Bull Dog's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M3A32-MVP
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 940 @3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x2GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1x1TB Hitachi, 2x400GB Seagate, 1x250GB Hitachi (all SATA)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5870
      • PSU:
      • Enermal Liberty 500w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion 590
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23in Phillips 230WP7NS
      • Internet:
      • 10.0mbs down, 1mbs up
    (I'm US based for what that's worth)

I just purchased one of these drives a couple of weeks ago. So far I haven't had any problems it. While I haven't burnt any DVDs yet, Lightscribe has been flawless and the CD burn quality has been excellent.

Bob are you planning on doing a review of one of these soon?

SATA drive availablilty in the U.S. is dismal as well, at last check NewEgg only carried three SATA drives: a LightOn DVD Rom/CD-RW drive ($28) and two Plexar DVD Burners ($90-$110).
    See System Specs.

Thanks
    I asked today for one of them to be sent for review.

Thanks
    Hi! I Just Bought Lite-ON SHM-165H6S Writer. Everything is o.k., but when I try to "LightScribe" to DVD, From NERO Cover Designer, My writer is not recognized, (Under Help->About LightScribe). I'm lost, I did update LightScribe driver 1.4.124.1, I also read every available help I could get, My system configuration is o.k., but I'm steel unable to make a cover. Please, if anyone had the same problem, HELP...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeskarMG View Post
    Hi! I Just Bought Lite-ON SHM-165H6S Writer. Everything is o.k., but when I try to "LightScribe" to DVD, From NERO Cover Designer, My writer is not recognized, (Under Help->About LightScribe). I'm lost, I did update LightScribe driver 1.4.124.1, I also read every available help I could get, My system configuration is o.k., but I'm steel unable to make a cover. Please, if anyone had the same problem, HELP...
    Just an idea - have you checked to see if there is an updater available for NERO Cover Designer?

These links might help:

Link 1 - for V7 of NERO

Link 2 - for V7 of NERO

Also, do you know for SURE whether, when you installed NERO, the burner was connected and working?

Not sure what the score is with internal drives but with external drives, if the drive isn't connected while the software is installed, then there's a chance the LightScribe side won't get properly installed.

Any one else had this problem?

ncd
    Thanks

Try a firmware upgrade

You may need to update the firmware. Here is a link to H07 version: drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Lite-On/LiteON-SHM-165H6S-HS07.shtml

I have the same problem with LiteScribe

Thread Information