Thread: Microsoft continues to tease with Zune media player revelations

Thanks

Microsoft continues to tease with Zune media player revelations

Microsoft continues to tease, revealing more details about its Zune portable media player, an iPod rival being launched in the USA for Christmas. It's also confirmed that there will be an accompanying online store - the Zune Marketplace - to challenge Apple's iTunes store.

The company gave no clues about pricing but, according to ABC news, a mistake by Wal-Mart's web site (which we reckon could just be another well-orchestrated leak) shows that the first Zune might sell for US$284.

Key features of the first Zune are its 30GB hard disk, built in wireless capability (for Zune-to-Zune file-sharing), integral FM radio and "bright" 3in screen - suitable for video as well as stills. The player will come in three colors. Black and white are offered, of course, but so also, rather unusually, is brown.

More in this HEXUS.lifestyle.headline.

Thanks
    If it costs more than an iPod (which the above piece suggests) then it's going to fail, simple as that.

The wireless connection is only of value if other people own Zunes (in the same way it's almost impossible to launch another instant messaging service because all your current friends are on AIM/MSN and won't change), so therefore it has no feature advantage over a 30GB iPod. The iPod has the advantage of being cheaper, having a proven track record, and one of the best online music stores in the world behind it.

Also it looks pretty chunky.
    Last edited by Jonny M; 19-09-2006 at 02:30 PM.

awm
    Thanks
    You missed the nauseating brown color. I must agree with what you said. Though the latest problems with iTunes and feature bumps being toted as new models is not going the help the iPod.

Thanks
    The nano and shuffle were genuine new models, but I'll agree the 5th gen sort of isn't. I don't mind really, it's not like they used it as an excuse to bump the price up, the new ones are the cheapest they've ever been.

Behind the scenes they are all new models, as far as I know they all use SigmaTel chipsets now rather than the old PortalPlayer ones. The Karma has returned

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KBeee View Post
    Good spotting!

However, Charlie Demerjian's editorial takes its lead from the EFF and needs to be read in the context of the EFF's original - Microsoft's Zune Won't Play Protected Windows Media.

I've reference that editorial and Charlie's in an update I've just added to the original HEXUS.lifestyle news story.

However, I reckon it's still worth including here the opening few paras of the EFF's editorial.

In yesterday's announcement of the new Zune media player and Zune Marketplace, Microsoft (and many press reports) glossed over a remarkable misfeature that should demonstrate once and for all how DRM and the DMCA harm legitimate customers.

Microsoft's Zune will not play protected Windows Media Audio and Video purchased or "rented" from Napster 2.0, Rhapsody, Yahoo! Unlimited, Movielink, Cinemanow, or any other online media service. That's right -- the media that Microsoft promised would Play For Sure doesn't even play on Microsoft's own device. Buried in footnote 4 of its press release, Microsoft clearly states that "Zune software can import audio files in unprotected WMA, MP3, AAC; photos in JPEG; and videos in WMV, MPEG-4, H.264" -- protected WMA and WMV (not to mention iTunes DRMed AAC) are conspicuously absent.

This is a stark example of DRM under the DMCA giving customers a raw deal. Buying DRMed media means you're locked into the limited array of devices that vendors say you can use. You have to rebuy your preexisting DRMed media collection if you want to use it on the Zune. And you'll have to do that over and over again whenever a new, incompatible device with innovative features blows existing players out of the water. Access to MP3s and non-DRMed formats creates the only bridge between these isolated islands of limited devices.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    MMmmmm the inquirer.. Trustworthy.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Yes they do have a certain way of spinning things, but it's a complete joke that Microsoft's own player won't play songs protected through their own DRM scheme that they've been pushing for years.

How as a company can they be this retarded? You'd have thought that all that money could buy marketing departments that don't insist on naming every single product "Windows [something]" or every online service "Windows Live [something]". They had good names in Hotmail and Passport, and now they've been changed to the generic "Windows Live Mail" and "Windows Live Account".

Microsoft just don't Get It. Are they too big, or has all creativity died at Redmond?

Thread Information