Thread: Asus GeForce 8800 GTX-based board details leak

Thanks

Asus GeForce 8800 GTX-based board details leak

The specifications of an upcoming Asus graphics card, the EN8800GTX, have been posted online to give a pretty good idea what Nvidia's upcoming GeForce 8800 GTX chip - aka 'G80' - will offer, including DirectX 10 Shader Model 4.0 support and Nvidia's Quantum Effects Technology.
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7088
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    768Mb on board

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    I'm guessing 512 for Graphics and 256 reserved for physics?

Thanks
    Maybe Im wrong, but I was under the impression that nVidia has other ideas for its physics processing. ATI as well...

Sure, Ive seen reports on the web saying that nVidia's new cards are coming out and there may be physics involved, but the wording of those posts leads me to believe no-ones too sure about how.

Im thinking that its less likely about having integrated physics processing on the GPUs and more about a similar approach to SLI/Crossfire setups with a seperate card in another PCIe slot. Hear me out.

Where the idea behind the ATI approach is rumored to be to take your old GPU and demote it to physics handling and get a new card for your graphics - or two for crossfire - which dont have to be the same as your old card [but will probably still have to be the same as each other] and use them as your graphics processors.

The idea behind the nVidia approach would be similar but you would have to use two identical GPUs (or two with two chips for Quad) and nVidias custom physics processing card that they are working on. There has been mobos spied on the web featuring 3 cards in SLI. Even articles on Hexus seem to support this: go to hexus and type in Asus P5N32 SLI Premium into search. One of the articles tells us that an ASUS motherboard supports (by way of a third PCIe slot) a specific physics processing card being made my nVidia...

If this is true than it would seem as though both ATI(/AMD) and nVidia are trying to block Ageia (who currently have a standard PCI physX card out) from posing much competiton.

This benefits ATI and nVidia, and dosnt matter to AMD since its bought ATI and dosnt matter to Intel cause it can use the PhysX card or ATI/Intel cards.

Now that ATI has fused with AMD though, Im not sure where they would be going with this. The Fusion may be talking about office applications and not gaming because intel is currently the world leader in onboard graphics and AMD/ATI may be looking for a piece of that pie. As for gaming/high end applications I can still see ATI working on standalone GPUs. Ive also heard rumours suggesting that nVidia may be looking to make MoBos, I see this as them trying to get a piece of that integrated chipset market as well, but still see them making standalone GPUs aswell.

But then again, who knows, maybe Intel and nVidia will join forces as well or maybe integrated graphics gets pushed to such a high level of quality that we see the end of seperate graphics cards and the start of 3 core motherboard designers: AMD/ATI, nVidia and thirdly Intel. It makes less points of failure but, dang, that will be some expensive upgrades...

Thanks
    I don't think 8800 series will be a good buy before windows vista launches. Even with vista launches, you won't get it for a sensible price before R600 comes out.
    Just like 7800gtx and 7800gt. Nvidia can make a great flagship graphics card, but not the best. When R600 comes out, nvidia maybe will make a 8900gtx or something else to get rip off r600.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madmobile View Post
    I don't think 8800 series will be a good buy before windows vista launches. Even with vista launches, you won't get it for a sensible price before R600 comes out.
    Just like 7800gtx and 7800gt. Nvidia can make a great flagship graphics card, but not the best. When R600 comes out, nvidia maybe will make a 8900gtx or something else to get rip off r600.
    To be honest you managed to say everything that I think and believe , but also I have to say that if nvidia didn't release their cards soo early they would get no slice of the pie... also the fact that they released the card means that ATi can obtain a sample and make sure that their card trumps it in every which way (albeit OpenGl which is the thorn in ATis side). Nvidia make some good cards, but I lost respect for them when they released the 7950GX2 (aka 7900GX2 v2) and advertised it as a single card solution, and this card just looks to be one of their gimmicks to be the first to the show. Ah well, I look forward to benchies and eagerly await R600 benchies
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v real) | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | HD2900XT 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 720W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | BenQ FP241WZ
    3dmark05 - 13140 | 3dmark06 - 6698 | SuperPi 1M - 15s

Small Form Factor Addict! Breezey's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Breezey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Commell LV-67B
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo T9400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Kingston HyperX 1066MHZ DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Seagate 7200.12
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4670
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 220w 1U
      • Case:
      • Lian Li Q07
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • 10MB O2
    nice specs but going to be to darn pricy for me

Thanks
    I hope with the Nvidia G80, we can get HDR+AA. Otherwise, i'll get a ati card in the future.

Thread Information