Thread: Microsoft to work with Novell on Windows/Linux interoperability

Thanks

Microsoft to work with Novell on Windows/Linux interoperability

Yeah, weird one, isn't it!?

Seeing as we're heading full speed into a world of virtualised server platforms, it's important that multiple Operating Systems can play nice with each other, so Microsoft and Novell have announced that they'll be working together.
    Microsoft Corp. and Novell Inc. today announced a set of broad business and technical collaboration agreements to build, market and support a series of new solutions to make Novell and Microsoft® products work better together. The two companies also announced an agreement to provide each other’s customers with patent coverage for their respective products. These agreements will be in place until at least 2012. Under this new model, customers will realize unprecedented choice and flexibility through improved interoperability and manageability between Windows® and Linux.
    [Microsoft press release]

Cheers to UKMuFFiN for spotting this'un.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Yeah, weird one, isn't it!?
    Or is it, as some people have suggested, just two companies ganging up on poor old Red Hat?
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

UKMuFFiN
    I think I read Somewhere else that Microsoft are worried about Apple comming up the rear so this could be trying to combat that somehow.

Reading the press release makes you think "hey, this sounds cool" but in reality I think it may sound to good to be true...

UKMuFFiN
    Bump, no one else find this interesting then? I thought it was...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMuFFiN View Post
    Bump, no one else find this interesting then? I thought it was...
    I find it rather interesting, but it remains to be seen how it will pan out. What's particularly interesting is whether Novell being granted special permission to use certain patents is illegal due to the terms of the GPL.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Here's an interesting article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...vell_analysis/

Under the Microsoft-Novell deal, Novell agrees to recognize Microsoft's intellectual property claims. Novell in returns receives a "Covenant Not To Sue".

This is something that Free Software developers have been fastidiously careful not to do - and this insistence formed the basis of the FSF's successful arguments in the European Courts. Free software supporters argued that the techniques were prior art - (the patent is invalid) - or reverse engineered without reference to the original (the patent doesn't apply). Microsoft had argued that F/OSS developers could, and should, license its MCPP protocols. GNU supporters argued that they couldn't. Novell has succeeded in driving a wedge in the movement where previous attempts have failed.

Redmond can now return the the European Commission and point out that Linux can co-exist with Microsoft IP quite happily - it's only those cranks and communists who disagree. And even more importantly, Microsoft can argue that a major Linux company has implicitly recognized its IP claims.

UKMuFFiN
    hmmmm indeed.

Have Novell sold out or are they planning somthing? - Is it another case of Microsoft “Embrace, Extend and Extinguish” Or will it actually backfire for Microsoft?

Heres a link to a podcast thing where you can submit questions to the guest (not specified yet)
    http://reverendted.wordpress.com/200...ll-open-audio/

Thanks
    • magneticman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.5ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3x2gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB F1 + 2TB F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750W
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V2110
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Microsoft are worried about Apple comming up the rear
    they've gotton very chummy!

UKMuFFiN
    Theres money flying around (obviously). Im not very good with all this legal mumbo jumbo but get the basic gist of it.

Novell has an FAQ here

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    For me in a support environment sounds good, its about time that you can have multiple OSs on a network without too much fiddling, but will it really happen? That one we have to leave to them.

As for Apple and MS being chummy, keep your friends close and your enemies closer, but to be honest I haven't seen much to show they are working together?

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMuFFiN View Post
    I think I read Somewhere else that Microsoft are worried about Apple comming up the rear so this could be trying to combat that somehow.

Reading the press release makes you think "hey, this sounds cool" but in reality I think it may sound to good to be true...

seriously, apple don't have anything on the virtualisation scene that can begin to compete with the goings on of MS, RedHat and others.

This is about MS posistioning themself in a stronger place, where they can hook people on their technology. In the server area only. Apple aren't worth anything there, its mostly red hat as others have stated, mabye even suse!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thread Information