Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23

Thread: Best graphics card for £175?

  1. #1
    Team HEXUS.net
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked
    363 times in 203 posts

    Best graphics card for £175?

    Best graphics card for £175?
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7255

    Whaddya think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    535
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    Agreed. I want one!

    But I think I'll wait until the mid-priced next G80 or R600s come out in a few months. Pointless getting a dx9 card when I will be wanting to play Crysis!
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming. i5-6500. 16gig Ripjaw 2400. Samsung 950pro NMVe 250gig+ 1tb Intel 660p. GTX Titan. Corsair TX650M.



    939 3800 X2 | 2gig corsairXMS 3200C2
    1950XT | 500gig,320,200,160
    Plextor DVD burner | Yamaha CRW-F1 CD-drive
    Thermaltake Xaser 3 w 480W FSP | X-fi fatal1ty

    Things have moved on since I first joined...

  3. #3
    A shadowy flight. MSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London/Herts
    Posts
    3,413
    Thanks
    394
    Thanked
    229 times in 168 posts
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC
    Be careful Hexus.
    I like (and use) Scan as much as the next, but you run a serious risk of becoming one big advert, and losing all credibility.
    Reviewing something you've been sent - fair enough.
    Simply saying "oh what a good price" cheapens you.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

    System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

  4. #4
    Team HEXUS.net
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked
    363 times in 203 posts
    MSIC,

    I've purposely not alluded to Scan by name or made any overt references to them in the short article. It's a hyperlink that you can choose to click on to. The purpose of the piece was to highlight the value for money offered by the competitve pricing of that SKU.

    You're absolutely free to shop wherever you'd like to. The same SKU is available from other online vendors for roughly the same price, so it's no 'special' or time-limited (other than finite supply by ATI/AMD) offer from Scan.

    We're planning on getting a sample in, so this, effectively, was a precursor to that.

  5. #5
    Rys
    Rys is offline
    Tiled
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Abbots Langley
    Posts
    1,479
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post
    Further, it was a well-judged price/perf statement based on understood and already available performance data, from R580 SKUs we've looked at in extreme depth already. Pointing out a price/perf bargain for our readers if we know what we're talking about is probably a good thing on balance, right?
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

  6. #6
    Senior Member ExceededGoku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    1,578
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    Quote Originally Posted by MSIC View Post
    Be careful Hexus.
    I like (and use) Scan as much as the next, but you run a serious risk of becoming one big advert, and losing all credibility.
    Reviewing something you've been sent - fair enough.
    Simply saying "oh what a good price" cheapens you.
    lol... who wouldn't want to advertise a good price like that? Would you prefer not to be told?
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v real) | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | HD2900XT 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 720W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | BenQ FP241WZ
    3dmark05 - 13140 | 3dmark06 - 6698 | SuperPi 1M - 15s

  7. #7
    A shadowy flight. MSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London/Herts
    Posts
    3,413
    Thanks
    394
    Thanked
    229 times in 168 posts
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Pointing out a price/perf bargain for our readers if we know what we're talking about is probably a good thing on balance, right?
    Yes it is, but i think there is a more correct time and place to do this.
    For example, Hexus Bargains is a suitable arena.
    In my opinion, front page of a news site is not.
    I accept that you didnt mention Scan by name, but the link is there.

    Sorry, maybe i'm over-reacting about this, but your lack of bias and journalistic integrity mean alot to me, and I don't want that to be soiled either in fact or by implication/suggestion.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

    System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    Hopefully they will bring a single slot version out
    They come from the dark and slice your head off

  9. #9
    780 nanometres redlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    East Herts
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    26 times in 19 posts
    • redlight's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad 6600@3.1
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Geil PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB Samsung 400GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 580w
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Aurora
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens 22" + 42" plasma
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Tiscali
    I thought I was reading an article on a graphics card until I hovered over the link and it was to Scan. Ruined the article as now it just a hidden advert for Scan which of course the the average joe will click on and think this the only place to get them from. Now that is just wrong.

  10. #10
    Hello jackvdbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    2,513
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked
    112 times in 95 posts
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)
    if it was 'average person' they wouldnt be buyign a gfx card costing that much and they will be in pc world buying a brand new pc.. bit silly dotn ya think?

  11. #11
    780 nanometres redlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    East Herts
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    26 times in 19 posts
    • redlight's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad 6600@3.1
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Geil PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB Samsung 400GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 580w
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Aurora
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens 22" + 42" plasma
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Tiscali
    Quote Originally Posted by jackvdbuk View Post
    if it was 'average person' they wouldnt be buyign a gfx card costing that much and they will be in pc world buying a brand new pc.. bit silly dotn ya think?
    No Hexus was silly linking to Scan maybe their not so unbiased after all and even sillier is knocking Pc World again and again when most of us have been there for the bargains that they occasionally have.. I use Scan a fair bit but I do not expect to be pushed in that direction.

  12. #12
    not posting kempez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    3,204
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    MSIC is right, especially after the debacle that was made over Alienware
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

  13. #13
    Team HEXUS.net
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked
    363 times in 203 posts
    So linking to an etailer and thus showing that the SKU isn't just vapourware is a bad idea?

    North American readers are linked in to newegg.

    The fact remains that this is an excellent value for money card this side of &#163;200, no matter where you buy it from.

  14. #14
    Rys
    Rys is offline
    Tiled
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Abbots Langley
    Posts
    1,479
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post
    Quote Originally Posted by redlight View Post
    I thought I was reading an article on a graphics card until I hovered over the link and it was to Scan. Ruined the article as now it just a hidden advert for Scan which of course the the average joe will click on and think this the only place to get them from. Now that is just wrong.
    We've prefixed review pieces on the front page with "HEXUS.reviews" for over a year now and probably closer to 2, precisely to let people know what is and what isn't an official HEXUS review. This piece wasn't (because it's not), so we didn't

    The fact remains we have an active and open relationship with all of our partners, including Scan and many others, so if we link to one of them every now and again to try and get you folks educated about a good deal, then we will. It just so happens that in this case Scan, because of scan2hexus, is the best place to pick up what's already pretty bargain happy. Our bad for trying to help you guys out, which is all we ever do and is the reason we've put our lives into the place since day 1!
    Last edited by Rys; 17-11-2006 at 10:53 AM.
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

  15. #15
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,959
    Thanks
    1,631
    Thanked
    3,069 times in 2,488 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    I have this card

    It's nice, though I don't think it really threatens the X1900XTX - the 256mb ram is a limitation compared to the latter. For whatever reason (different thread dispatcher?) the 256mb ATI cards are slower than their 512mb brethren.

    However, this is a very nice card - especially when you play Oblivion with HDR at 4xAA and 8x High quality (angle independent) AF.

    Cooler isn't all that bad at all either - it's never got to full speed on anything yet and ramps up pretty slowly (without changing speed too often either - changes of speed are actually more noisy than a constant speed it seems.)

    CD comes with cat 6.10, but the card doesn't seem to be supported by the new 6.11s for some reason. Might need to play with the drivers a bit more.

  16. #16
    A shadowy flight. MSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London/Herts
    Posts
    3,413
    Thanks
    394
    Thanked
    229 times in 168 posts
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    We've prefixed review pieces on the front page with "HEXUS.reviews" for over a year now and probably closer to 2, precisely to let people know what is and what isn't an official HEXUS review. This piece wasn't (because it's not), so we didn't

    The fact remains we have an active and open relationship with all of our partners, including Scan and many others, so if we link to one of them every now and again to try and get you folks educated about a good deal, then we will. It just so happens that in this case Scan, because of scan2hexus, is the best place to pick up what's already pretty bargain happy. Our bad for trying to help you guys out, which is all we ever do and is the reason we've put our lives into the place since day 1!
    I can see your point here. And I also accept that your intentions were honourable, pointing out a bargain from a good etailer.

    I suppose that i made an assumption of Hexus being an independant and un-biased editorial news/review website, however I have just checked out your 'About Us' page, and you do not claim to be either of those, so fair enough.

    In my profession we have to be not only impartial but at all times seen to be so.

    Again, I genuinely am only interested in the ongoing development and betterment of Hexus, and this is not a 'let's have a go' argument.

    Sorry for any bad feeling.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

    System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wrong Graphics Card
    By 360bhp in forum SCAN.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-06-2006, 09:29 AM
  2. AGP Graphics Card Upgrade
    By Palhil in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 16-05-2006, 12:23 PM
  3. Graphics Card Quandry
    By muddyfox470 in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-04-2006, 08:03 PM
  4. Cooling Graphics Card
    By mike_w in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24-04-2006, 05:38 PM
  5. [Desperate] New GRAPHICS CARD - Monitor
    By LTP in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27-02-2006, 02:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •