Thread: Sony President emphasises the power of the PS3

Thanks

Sony President emphasises the power of the PS3

Sony President, Kaz Hirai, emphasises the gap in technology between the PS3 and their competitors' consoles.

Check out the Headline

Thanks
    The only gap I can see is in the release dates tbh...
    If we cant get it then it doesnt matter if it'll make fat people thin, ugly people attractive and poor people rich...

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    SO it's more powerful because it's got a high capacity optical drive? Anyone remember the Amiga CD32?

Oh deary me.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Indeed, sounds like someones missing the point tbh...

Thanks
    • Blademrk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I5
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • onboard Intel Graphics (for now)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell & 20" DELL 2005w
      • Internet:
      • 32mb/sec Sky BB
    [Yoda] Storage space does not a (more) powerful console make [/Yoda]

Does anyone else get the impresion that the "without using multiple discs." bit was meant to be said under his breath?
    Feel Free to add me to your Raptr, XFire, XBL or PSN Friend List
    My Steam Profile - Hexus Steam Community

Thanks
    what a muppet, so its more powerful because it has a higher capacity storage medium. Oh dear. I really believe Sony have well and truly crapped up the PS3. I admit to a bit of fanboyism here (as I am an xbox owner) but what is there that is so great about PS3?

- Its online mode sucks at the moment
    - It has an oudated graphics card
    - A motion sensor control pad (without rumble facility as they couldnt get it to work, funny how Ninty did) - blatantly a last minute addition after the Wiimote was unveiled
    - It has Blu-Ray, but really who cares?
    - Also there is some problem with it displaying images at low res (or so I think I have read, I'm not so sure on this so apologies if i am wrong)
    - PS2 backwards compatibility is crap as the games look worse on the PS3 than they do on the PS2

I'm sure there are more, but you guys get the gist!
    Well, I can cut it in half!

www.theeraserheads.com

Thanks
    Ah Sony, when are you going to learn to shut your high-level execs away from the world in a sterile basement with foam walls and a rubix cube?
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    well after playing resistance: fall of man on a PS3 on a 32" Samsung HDTV (via HDMI I think) at my local CEX I really wasnt impressed.

Graphics were nice but imo not as good as Gears or R6:Vegas and the gameplay was pretty generic.

and as others have said, lol @ the fact an excessively large game being a reason for buying the console.

Plus it is false:

the game weighs in at about 16GB, (becuase they cut out the PAL cut scenes so we can have to put up with converted NTSC) and a dual layer double sided DVD can hold just under 16gb. Im sure that they could fit it onto a dual layer double sided DVD if they wanted to - not practical to have a double sided DVD I know, but all the same.

The blu-ray thing/size of game thing sounds false anyway, as apparently Ted Price if Insomniac (who make it) has said that they had to reduce the size from 22gb to 16gb to shorten burning times of the disc - so what happens when they get 25 or 50gb games?

Plus the fact removing PAL movies reduced the size of the game by 6gb, take out all the FMV and you get 10gb of game? Its like when CDs came out all over again - you make a game that would fit onto 5 floppies and then chuck in 300mb of FMV??

Please Until a game comes out that actually has content that shows it NEEDS a HD disc (not fills it up with FMV) then keep your cakehole shut about Blu-ray and games. At the moment it just promotes lazy, bloated programming as well.

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by greektony View Post
    what a muppet, so its more powerful because it has a higher capacity storage medium. Oh dear. I really believe Sony have well and truly crapped up the PS3. I admit to a bit of fanboyism here (as I am an xbox owner) but what is there that is so great about PS3?

- Its online mode sucks at the moment
    - It has an oudated graphics card
    - A motion sensor control pad (without rumble facility as they couldnt get it to work, funny how Ninty did) - blatantly a last minute addition after the Wiimote was unveiled
    - It has Blu-Ray, but really who cares?
    - Also there is some problem with it displaying images at low res (or so I think I have read, I'm not so sure on this so apologies if i am wrong)
    - PS2 backwards compatibility is crap as the games look worse on the PS3 than they do on the PS2

I'm sure there are more, but you guys get the gist!
    Too much fanboyism really.. , lets see things in abit more light here..

About the Blu-Ray bit, you might not care.. but alot of other do...

PS2 backwards compatibility, well, its a give or take thing, xbox didn't do too well either, they have their problems with their handful of titles being backwards compatible.. and if xbox can get better, so can PS3.. try to give them time buddy..

Kaz Hirai is a rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish, simple as that, but lets not condemn a properly good and powerful console jsut because their makers are rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish. Blue-Ray and their capacity may not make PS3 a super console, but Blue-Ray on its own is a tech marvel I tell you. You can carry an external HDD anywhere you want, but you cant really beat carrying just one simple BD disc with everything in there.

Motion sensor, yes I admit thats just sad, but if we look past the controversy, sixaxis is a very good controller. I tried it on CEX last week and its very very comfortable and useable.. i.e. its light, handy, and u virtually forget you're actually holding a controller...

So unless you've actually tried the controller, lets leave all the condemnation till everyone actually used one..
    Last edited by sawyen; 09-01-2007 at 04:25 PM.
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    i really hate getting involved in discussions about hardware. hardware isn't interesting. one box might be powered by pixie dust, and another by unicorn farts, and i really don't care - it's the games that concern me

and the ps3 concerns me

not because it's expensive (it is), not because it's a pig to set up (it is), not because the online service is crap (it is), but because the games so far are uninspiring, and interacting with the console via SIXAXIS sucks

consider launch titles like mario 64 or tetris. timeless classics. now consider resistance: it looks massively inferior to older pc titles like doom 3, and plays pretty much the same too. it's the poster child for the new system, and it's not very good.

i'm sure eventually there will be enough titles for the system to make me want one (just as has now happened with the 360), but it won't help ancillary issues like the crap joypad (dual shock is uncomfortable and hard to play with, so make it featherweight, remove the rumble, and give it vague motion features? feck off)

there is simply no question that the playstation 3 hardware is theoretically the most powerful and capable of all the current-gen systems, but that potential hasn't even come close to being used by a competent developer, and i'm really bugged by the poor control and irritating UI

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    You do have to admit that SIXAXIS is pretty poor show its like a poor man's Wii remote, and they took away the vibration and don't have the speaker like the Wii Remote.

Its a pretty odd situation because the Sony PS3 is I would have thought on paper at least the most powerful console but they seem to have concentrated on that so much that it has affected the product line-up and other features like as above the Wii Remote. This was supposed the be all end all but so soon after the release the hype has died down and most people I know can't decide between Xbox 360 or Wii, PS3 is already dismissed.

Its a shame really but statements like this headline just don't cut the mustard, after its been release in most territory (thanks for leaving good old EU till last, Sony!). I'm sure it will be successful but really I can't see a PS2 style success since everyone about my age I know had one and most sill have.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YorkieBen View Post
    well after playing resistance: fall of man on a PS3 on a 32" Samsung HDTV (via HDMI I think) at my local CEX I really wasnt impressed.

Graphics were nice but imo not as good as Gears or R6:Vegas and the gameplay was pretty generic.
    Really, some websites gave it 100% ratings saying its the best FPS ever.(hmmmm)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven W View Post
    it looks & plays like doom 3's poor cousin

comparing it to a game like gears of war is like comparing "redneck rampage" and "quake 2"

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Gamespot and IGN (usually trustworthy) gave Perfect Drak Zero 9/10 or above

And that was dire

I have yet to play resistance...

Thanks
    what are you implying about those sites?

I only played it for about 10 minutes, the first thing when I saw it was I checked if was displaying in a HD res because I was that underwhelmed by the graphics (honestly - they are good but nothing amazing). My second impression was when I picked up the controller was that it felt like really bad cheap PS2 non-standard controller - the ones htat break in five minutes, because it is so light. I prefer something with a bit of weight in my hand tbh. After playing around I was just a bit underwhelmed, maybe I've been lucky recently Ive been hammering CoD3, Gow and R6:Vegas but in comparison Resistance seemed dull and nothing new

Thread Information