Thread: More harsh words on Sony's PS3

Thanks

More harsh words on Sony's PS3

The queue of Sony haters is growing with Valve's Gabe Newell being the latest person to slate the console. Bill Gates doesn't pull any punches either!

Check out the Headline

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sony
    Sony has dismissed the claim that the PS3 is failing to sell in the US claiming that the high stock figures are due to the 'successful supply chain'. "It isn't because demand has weakened, it is because we have kept the supply pipeline moving, "said Sony's Dave Karraker.
    Yeah right...
    Tom Scott,
    Scancom.co.uk/HEXUS Liason

Registered+
    Thanks
    It's almost like Sony is saying they wanted their console to be a year late, use more power, use a Blu-ray player as standard, giving the developers the opportunity to develop large complicated games.

We as customers only care about gameplay and graphics. So even if Sony says the PS3 is way more powerfull, then why aren't the games any fancier? Sure, it's more difficult to develop, but the large performance difference (according to Sony) has to give developers an advantage. Even in these early days.
    Furthermore, Microsoft at least gives you the option wether or not to buy the HD-DVD player. Some people don't want to spend extra just for the Blu-ray player. Then again, Sony says it's necessary in order to provide enough disc space for all HD game content. But again: why is it that Microsoft and the Xbox360 developers use a DVD with about 20% of BD's capacity, while still being able to match PS3's graphics and content?

Last but not least, I heard the PlayStation 3's power usage tops at 380 Watts. I haven't seen any real-life tests or confirmation of this value, but where smoke is, is fire.

I don't own a console at the moment and I'm not planning on getting one. If I would, it would be either the Xbox 360 for it's stunning graphics and large amount of games available. Or the Wii for it's gameplay, great design and innovativness. Without kidding, I can't name one advantage of the PlayStation 3 over the other consoles. Even if I take away the price, the only nice feature seems the Blu-ray player. But why would you want it with the HD-war not being to an end yet. As long as both formats exist, it's very tricky to choose either of them, especially at these prices.
    Careful what you wish for, you might receive it...

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    "Microsfot"

First line

Thanks
    • chrism's system
      • CPU:
      • Pentium M 770
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung HD501LJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 9600GT 512MB
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SD11G5
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung XL20
    The console may be difficult to develop for, I can still see PS3 being a success as it's still got the support of a lot of Japanese developers, and the franchises that made PS popular in the first place (the Final Fantasys, Tekkens, Metal Gear Solids, Gran Turismos, Dragon Quests, etc).

Xbox just doesn't seem like it'll catch on in Japan.

Thanks
    Xbox 360 is technically the leader at the moment in both Europe and North America. They got the right taste of games for European and Norht American gamers.

But they still haven't find a way to attract more Japanese gamers. Japanese gamers like simple cuty mini games. Violent games are not selling well. If Microsoft can work on games using some of the Popular Japanese comic, make more simple games like what nintendo is doing.

And i think if they can specialize a japanese only xbox 360 with smaller design and fancier look, which only takes 64mb or bigger memory card. They may attract more japanese attention. Japanese people love small gadgets. That's a reason why ds lite and ipods are so popular.

Thanks
    If ps3 want to fight back, the only way is to launch a killer game like Gran Turismo HD or 5. Or hevanly sword.

I remember Gran turismo 3 was the game that made me buy the ps2 back in 2001. Exclusive titles will make gamers think ps3 is worth a buy for $600. Or they can go after nintendo's step that develop some revolutional games that use a good control of their new sixes controllers.

Registered+
    Thanks
    You're totally right, chrism. Though you must not forget Japan is just a small part of the total market for Sony's PS3. Important, but small. I think Japan only has a share of 10-15% in the worldwide market.

The same applies to Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii ofcourse. But I think the Xbox 360 will be the final winner, with the Wii breathing down it's neck. And the PS3 being for the Sony PlayStation fanboys or people who choose their console based on one or two games.

Look at it this way: technologically the PS3 is superior, but that alone doesn't win you anything. Don't forget Sony has a long, very long list of semi-failures. Almost no complete failures, but always products that were technologically innovative, just not good enough in one way or another. Sure, Sony has also introduced some very good and eventually popular products or standards, but most of today's standards were direct competitors to Sony's own inventions:
    MiniDisc -> CD and later MP3 players
    Betamax -> VHS
    SACD -> still CD
    MMCD -> DVD
    ATRAC -> MP3
    SDDS -> Dolby Digital and DTS

Don't get me wrong, I won't mind at all when Sony wins this console war. It's just that I see too many disadvantages.

@ madmobile: Grant Turismo HD is basically GT4 with HD quality images. Sony itself said GT HD won't contain much new features or improvements other than graphics and some audio. GT5 is the game you should be looking after.

But Like I said before, would you really buy a $600 console over a $400 or $250 console just for one or two games? It will ofcourse depend on your own likings, but Xbox 360 and Wii also have some killer games.
    Careful what you wish for, you might receive it...

Thanks
    That said, I'm sure Gabe will having nothing but praise for the PS3 once the Half Life 2 Orange set gets released on the system. Particularly if it ships enough copies.

Synergy leverager
    Thanks
    • Mutley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel QX9650 (OC'd to 3.8Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR2-1066 8500CL5D
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD & Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • 60MB Cable (Virgin)
    And I'm sure Gabe's history with Microsoft has nothing to do with it either....;-)

Thread Information