Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Savastore owner Watford Electronics hits the financial skids?

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    From the Savastore front page.

"Dear Savastore Customer,

At 3.30pm, February 7th 2007, Globally Ltd purchased the business of Watford Electronics Ltd.

As a result of this purchase, Savastore.com is temporarily closed for business. The site will reopen as soon as possible following a full review of both business and technological processes.

It is Globally Ltd’s intention to invest heavily in the underlying technology behind Savastore.com, and to provide a platform that will enable it to resume and expand upon Watford Electronics’ existing business.

Wherever possible Globally Ltd will assist and support all existing Savastore.com customers whose goods are not already covered by a manufacturer’s warranty.

Globally Ltd will endeavour to fulfil all unshipped Savastore.com orders. In line with Watford Electronics’ existing policy, Globally Ltd will not charge Savastore.com customers until orders have been despatched.

Globally Ltd would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by the temporary closure of Savastore.com.

Yours sincerely,

Globally Ltd

Information relating to warranty and returns procedures for existing Savastore.com customers whose products are not covered by a manufacturer’s warranty will be provided within the next 48 hours."

Thanks
    I have to say that I am caught between 2 chairs over the sale of SavaStore. I live within 15 miles of their store and was for the most part convenient. However, even though I have been a customer of theirs for the last 4 year, I would buy not anything from them that may require returning because their customer service was still in the ice age.

“We've been unable to get Watford to confirm or deny these rumours - but have been told that the Financial Director Ricki Raqeeb will call us back.”

Join the queue of many customers that are probably still waiting for their calls to be returned. Unfortunately there has been to many unhappy customers at Savstore as I found out from Trading Standards when I have been forced to contact them to find out where I stood legally after hitting many brick walls there.

I agree that the customer experience can only be improved at management level but for this to have happened, it would have needed the management to have been replaced.

One thing that Savastore always seemed to have had was, some of the best prices on the internet and also some of the best counter staff I have ever met. I for one hope that will never change.

On that note, I would like to wish all the Counter staff at SavaStore all the very best and I hope that their future will now be secure for them all.
    Last edited by Andy Capp; 09-02-2007 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks
    Sorry, I don't agree with that.

The bottom line can only be that it was management's fault...

So, it's my view that we shouldn't be blaming the foot-soldiers...

Its always easy to blame the management, its seems to have become fashionable to do this lately.

How do we know that the management at Watford weren't fantastic but it was the workers in the call centres/shop counter/store rooms that weren't pulling their weight and complying with request from management resulting in poor customer service experienced by many? We don't - unless you know otherwise. That is why I said the staff and didn't blame any particular department or groups of people because I can't single out particular individuals.

Unfortunatly there will always be a few bad apples that spoil it for the rest (be it managers or foot soldiers). I don't know who is to blame in the case of bad customer service, so I've tarred the whole staff with the same brush - sounds silly but thats part of life and we ALL do it.

"Get real and show some humanity."

Perhaps thats what Watford SHOULD HAVE done before getting my back up. If they had dealt with my complaint swiftly and without fuss, I wouldn't be angry and therefore might have more sympathy for the company as a WHOLE if that had been the case.

Look, I had a local business close down near me which I had used for many years. They closed because they were squeezed out by the 'big boys'. Now I'd used that shop for many years and always got along well with the owners (who were also the shop staff). Anytime I had a problem (damaged goods...) they always handled it without fuss and it was resolved quickly with minimal effort and time. Therefore when they closed I was sorry to see them go as they had served me and the community really well.

HOWEVER, if I buy from a company and have a problem and I try and phone and nobody picks up, I leave countless messages and nobody replies, I sent emails to the MD, Customer services and nobody emails back. Then when I get through I am lied to and pushed from pillar to post and given an array of excuses you don't really expect me to feel sympathetic do you?

I'm guessing nor would you if I messed you around, wasted your time, lied to you and ignored your calls, I very much doubt you would be showing me some 'humanity' if I were arrested by the police or went bankrupt.

So 'get real.'
    Last edited by dfisher1; 08-02-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Ody
    Thanks
    Watford have just pulled a "Granville special". The new company and owners, Globally Ltd, have the Jessa's registered as directors. The same owners of Watford.

They have pulled a fast one and exploited a legal loophole that allows this to happen. So while the Jessa's are driving hoe in the Mercs tonight to their million pound homes I hope they can live with themselves when they think about the companies they have ruined and the individuals they have put out of work.

I know somebody who worked in Purchasing at Watford. There was one company the did business with who was a sole trader. Somebody like you and me who worked hard to set up his own business. He was owed £90k by Watford that he isn't insured for and that guy will now be ruined. He'll be bankrupt while the Jessa's get away scott free.

You might think he was silly not to be insured but it would have cost him £1000's a year just to cover Watford and he only dealt with companies with strong credit ratings as they did until it was too late.
    Last edited by Ody; 08-02-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks

Smile Mr McTowlie

I think that after reading your articel one thing is painfully clear, you seem to hold a grudge??? I have investigated and found out that you yourself used to work for Watford, aka Mr Ebay John!!! Quite funny how now you curse the company who employed you to sell goods, which you did at inflated costs to the public to line your own pocket!!! Suddenly developed a conscience??? Also, how is ure new job at that strip club going??? Times must be hard...

Splash
    MrBig - not sure who that's aimed at in all honesty...

DFisher - I'm going to side with Bob on this one. The people at the bottom of the food chain rarely (if ever) get to make business decisions - that's what management get paid for. If you disagree with the service then I'm pretty certain that it can be traced to a management decision not to employ enough staff to deal with CS, or not to employ the relevant checks to ensure that customer service IS a business priority.

I ordered from Watford 3 or 4 times over the last 5 years. I probably wouldn't again.

Thanks
    There was exactly one member of counter staff who was any good at all - he was very good, too bad for him - the rest were useless and deserve no sympathy. That's an interesting point about their cynical bankrupting of suppliers too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    DFisher - I'm going to side with Bob on this one. The people at the bottom of the food chain rarely (if ever) get to make business decisions - that's what management get paid for. If you disagree with the service then I'm pretty certain that it can be traced to a management decision not to employ enough staff to deal with CS, or not to employ the relevant checks to ensure that customer service IS a business priority.
    Yet again management is being blamed. "It takes two to..." ...have good customer service. The management have to manage the foot soldiers well (come up with plans of action, manage staff levels) and the foot soldiers have to take up the ideas and put them into action. Now, which of the two is currently failing (if both) I and everyone else doesn't know. Unless someone from Watford can point fingers at specific departments or people, then we cannot blame management as we have no insider evidence that management are guilty.

So, it's my view that we shouldn't be blaming the foot-soldiers. - from Bob Crabtree

Who's blaming the foot soldiers? I certainly am not, I'm blaming the company as a whole for poor customer service.

As for the 'get real...humanity' bit, I'm still fuming from this comment. I think I have a right to be bitter and twisted, and its justified by my experience. I didn't set out to be 'bitter and twisted' with Watford, they made me that way - they only have themselves to blame and no one else. Otherwise, I've dealt with people like Dabs and Amazon... which have been exemplery in their service, so if either were to ever close down I would be genuinely sorry and sympathetic for the staff.
    Last edited by dfisher1; 08-02-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Splash
    The management take responsibility. It's what they do - staff on the shop floor may be apathetic but if the management were up to scratch they'd either motivate them or find new staff. That's what management is all about

Do you blame the guys on the frontline that we're still in Iraq, or the guys sat in the cushy offices?

Thanks
    For what it's worth, I've always found Savastore to be pretty good. Over the last couple of years I've bought an HP2840, laser toner, mp3 player/gear etc from them and they've always delivered it within a couple of days no problem. I've just taken delivery of a Skype phone and a couple of SD cards from them, so it's a bit of a shock to see they've had to make an 'administrative arrangement'. I suppose if they're trading on very tight margins then they're susceptible to cashflow issues and of course their customer service is always going to be a bit skimpy.

I believe this January has been particularly slow for a lot of office equipment/supplies retailers and it's making a number of them dig into their reserves.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Extract from my earlier post "For dodgy suppliers-read Grumbletext" in Hexus Smart Shoppers.

"There is a common thread of:
    1) second-hand/used components being supplied on occasion
    2) parts imported from Japan (ie non-UK market items). See Sony UK's reaction to this.
    3) premium-rate number for customer service
    4) naturally, allied to 3) are waiting times of an hour or more
    5) difficulty in obtaining an RMA number
    6) terrible customer service
    7) a huge file at Luton Borough Trading Standards Department
    8) numerous proceedings in Small Claims Court against Savastore
    9) outstanding County Court Judgements
    10) lots of very irate customers who have been treated very shabbily"

Hands up all those who think that Globally Ltd ( a company set up 3 days ago by the current owners, the Jessas) will act any differently towards their customers and suppliers in the future.

Thanks
    Last edited by DanBrown5; 08-02-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanBrown5 View Post
    A Very fair and unbiased opinion of you there.... Your talking about peoples jobs and livelihoods here.... Nice.

.... No wonder we live in a world like we do.......

Maybe if the people charged with customer facing roles thought to pull their weight once in a while the business wouldn't have failed.

If you want to point the finger and blame someone for Watford going under, blame your management and useless colleagues before complaining that it's the fault of disgruntled ex-customers who stopped supporting the business (as though it were a charitable enterprise and we somehow reneged on our civic duties).

As others have pointed out our sympathies should lie with the small suppliers facing bankrupcy as a result of this cynical ploy by the Jessas to avoid paying Watford's creditors. And the customers stung over the last week or so's trading when it was known for a fact what was going to happen. And the one competent member of counter staff. There was a guy with a long beard too a few years ago, maybe he'd left though.

On behalf of all these parties let's wish the Jessas best of luck in their totally new business venture shall we? Whatever they change the name to

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Has it been confirmed that people have lost jobs then Bob? Not picking fault with your statement, just wondering.
    Not yet - and my wording was indeed sloppy - so has been changed.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Thanks
    My mate lost his job in a mass redundancy last week. While we were still being promised a statement from the FD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfisher1 View Post
    Sorry, I don't agree with that.

The bottom line can only be that it was management's fault...

So, it's my view that we shouldn't be blaming the foot-soldiers...

Its always easy to blame the management, its seems to have become fashionable to do this lately.

How do we know that the management at Watford weren't fantastic but it was the workers in the call centres/shop counter/store rooms that weren't pulling their weight and complying with request from management resulting in poor customer service experienced by many? We don't - unless you know otherwise. That is why I said the staff and didn't blame any particular department or groups of people because I can't single out particular individuals.
    I'm trying to think how much of a grip you can possibly have of the real world of work. And I'm coming up with the likelihood that it's very little.

Of course there are crap workers but the very fact that they remain in work is management's fault - how could that possibly NOT be so??

The alternative scenario is this:

Worker realises that he's letting down himself, his employer, his colleagues and the members of the public.

As a result, he has a good talking with himself, explains that he needs to get his act together but promises to help himself with training, advice and addressing any other necessary issues.

Over the next month, he monitors himself for progress but notices no improvements so sits himself down for a little chat.

I won't bore you with all the rest of the twaddle through the first-stage, second-stage and third-stage warnings but will zoom forward to the time when having failed to pull his socks up or accept all the help and support he has been offering himself, he decides he has no other option but to give himself the sack.

Unfortunatly there will always be a few bad apples that spoil it for the rest (be it managers or foot soldiers). I don't know who is to blame in the case of bad customer service, so I've tarred the whole staff with the same brush - sounds silly but thats part of life and we ALL do it.
    Perhaps some of us do - but, hopefully, most of us won't seek to make excuses when it's pointed out.

"Get real and show some humanity."

Perhaps thats what Watford SHOULD HAVE done before getting my back up. If they had dealt with my complaint swiftly and without fuss, I wouldn't be angry and therefore might have more sympathy for the company as a WHOLE if that had been the case.
    You are perfectly entitled to be hacked off with a company that has let you down.

But to be filled with spite and bile for the foot-solders? No.

Look, I had a local business close down near me which I had used for many years. They closed because they were squeezed out by the 'big boys'. Now I'd used that shop for many years and always got along well with the owners (who were also the shop staff). Anytime I had a problem (damaged goods...) they always handled it without fuss and it was resolved quickly with minimal effort and time. Therefore when they closed I was sorry to see them go as they had served me and the community really well.
    And, consequently, if they sold something that you could get a lot cheaper elsewhere at one of the "big boys", you always bought locally?

If we all did that, the big boys would go out of business themselves, but we don't - we do what's good for our pocket in the short-term.

HOWEVER, if I buy from a company and have a problem and I try and phone and nobody picks up, I leave countless messages and nobody replies, I sent emails to the MD, Customer services and nobody emails back. Then when I get through I am lied to and pushed from pillar to post and given an array of excuses you don't really expect me to feel sympathetic do you?
    Clearly, quite mistakenly, yes I do.

I'm guessing nor would you if I messed you around, wasted your time, lied to you and ignored your calls, I very much doubt you would be showing me some 'humanity' if I were arrested by the police or went bankrupt.

So 'get real.'
    If anybody knows my history, they know I've personally gone into bat in the past over readers problems and so will have genuine sympathy with your suffering.

But, nothing you've said so far convinces me that the sins against you are so great as to entitle you to discard your humanity.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information