Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HEXUS.reviews :: Antec Nine Hundred Chassis

Thanks

HEXUS.reviews :: Antec Nine Hundred Chassis

Hear that? That’s the collective relief of Antec. The Nine-Hundred (900) series has finally arrived. What’s that, I hear you say? It’s been out months? Sure it has and no, we’re not going mad. This, folks, much like washing powder, is the new and improved Antec 900.
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7507
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)
    nice nice review, been waiting quite a bit for that.

it seems to be a great case but the two things i dont like at all is the idea of lots of dust inside the case making evrything look bad and slow.

im not too sure how the front bays work but i cant believe they use screws thought that was an old idea but i suppose they wont 'just fall out'

http://img.hexus.net/v2/cases/antec/900/11.s.jpg

i have no idea what this is suppsoed to be :S and what part is the inner wall?

sorry if im being a noob but ah well

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    As you look at that picture, the inner wall is behind the screw holes you seen on the left hand side. The front panels are indeed screwed to the unit, old school I know, but to be honest, as they are drive modules then its not such and inconvienience....

matt.
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Registered+
    Thanks
    This Case is exactly the sort of thing im looking for apart from 1 major problem. Its being aimed at Gamers, yet it is likely to prevent many gamers GFX cards from being installed easily. I have a Case which is over 520mm long, and with my 6 hardrives installed i have SERIOUSLY struggled with getting Hardrive and 6pin PCIe power cables plugged in, without seriously harming the cables due to the extreme bend angle needed to cram it all in.

My GFX card is a rather large 7900GTO, but all the newer generation of cards coming to market appear to be just as long.

Luckily it sounds like i could use the 5.25" to 3.5" converter caddy and ensure i have clearance about the GFX card, but its still a little frustrating.....

Still a great review which has laid out exactly the sorts of constraints that matter to me. Cheers Hexus !!
    CPU:- Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (Overclocked to 3.4Ghz - 8x425Mhz OCDB Entry Here )
    COOLING :- Tuniq Tower 120 - Idle 34-38DegsC - Load <45Degs C
    MOTHERBOARD:- ASUS P5N-E SLI - Nvidia 650i Chipset on BIOS 0401
    CURRENT PSU:- 600W Seasonic S12 24 Pin Native (SLI Compatible)
    MEMORY:- 2Gb (2x1Gb) GEIL PC2-6400 (400Mhz @ 2T 5-5-5-31) Again Not OC'ed Yet
    GRAPHICS:- Nvidia MSI Ge-Force GTO 512Mb- PCIe (GPU @ 709Mhz, Mem @ 784Mhz)
    MONITOR:- 19" Samsung TFT 913N 8ms
    HARDRIVE:- 320Gb SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.10Hardrive (+ 5 Others giving >1TB Storage)
    OPTICAL - NEC 16X DVDR 3520A
    OPERATING SYS:- Windows XP Pro SP2
    CASE:- Cheap and Cheerful
    3DMARK06 - 6967 3DMarks
    3DMARK05 - 12303 3DMark

csl
    Thanks
    I much prefer the styling of the P150-style cases, with simple lines and plain no-frills looks. Not sure why they include the extra top-blowing fan - surely all but the most insanely overheating equipment will be just fine with two 12cm fans. The tray is a nice touch for phones or mp3 players though, granted.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Its a nice case, i have the rev 1 version and it does cool really well. Also with all the fans on low its very quiet! The modular drive cages are a fiddle and the plastic fan mount on the window feels fragile but all in all a nice case. Just wish it had 3 pin fan connectors.

Who the $%£# told you you could eat my cookies?! Oobie-'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for reviewing it. 2 Things I wanted to know:

1) The noise generated (I know the gamer doesn't mind noise, but Im a gamer and it annoys me), is it something that would be heard if you had headphones on and watching a movie/listening to mp3's?

2) what revision does scan sell?

I've read a mixture of reviews on it and they say its quite loud even on low, and the fact that there isn't anywhere to move/hide the wires makes it quite messy.

I really want it! and I need to choose the appropriate PSU!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Registered+
    Thanks
    • darkblueslider's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2D 2.4ghz Notebook
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Case:
      • Apple Macbook Pro 13.3"
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 2443BW
    Hey, Great review, thanks, came just in time for the after-christmas cash spending
    I was really interested in buying this, but your review threw a spanner in the works.

I'm really not sure my PSU has 4 spare Molex connectors - do the fans come with like a daisychain? Its one of the Early Antec Neopower 480W's - it might have a few spare molex's... but four seems a bit much to ask.

I've got a couple of questions, if you don't mind (Along with Oobie's query on what revision Scan sells)
    Usually with fans you can 'daisy-chain' them, connecting them in a chain to a single molex slot from your PSU, do these fans have the connections to enable you to do that?
    What fan speed are the fans running at in the thermal comparison?

Thanks,
    dark
    Last edited by darkblueslider; 27-12-2006 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Clarity

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpearce View Post
    Its a nice case, i have the rev 1 version and it does cool really well. Also with all the fans on low its very quiet! The modular drive cages are a fiddle and the plastic fan mount on the window feels fragile but all in all a nice case. Just wish it had 3 pin fan connectors.
    You can of course replace the fans with 3 pin header models, it can get expensive if you go for tri-speed ones again, but I would recommend going for the 120mm Sharkoon 'Golf Ball' fans at Scan - excellent for the money. PLEASE NOTE - this would apply to the rear fan and the fan mount for the graphics card. Short of taking my own system apart I don't have a spare Sharkoon fan to test the length of the 3 pin wires for the fans at the front of the caddies. If I didn't use those really hard-to-remove rubber grommits for mounting my fans I would have checked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oobie- View Post
    Thanks for reviewing it. 2 Things I wanted to know:

1) The noise generated (I know the gamer doesn't mind noise, but Im a gamer and it annoys me), is it something that would be heard if you had headphones on and watching a movie/listening to mp3's?

2) what revision does scan sell?

I've read a mixture of reviews on it and they say its quite loud even on low, and the fact that there isn't anywhere to move/hide the wires makes it quite messy.

I really want it! and I need to choose the appropriate PSU!
    From a noise perspective in the scenario you quote, you wouldn't hear it. The only thing I would say is due to the number of fans its worth making sure your system would be on an even footing as further vibration help isn't needed heh.

Scan sells the revision two fo this chassis now - Antec pulled all stock back for it to be reworked, rather than causing the customer to lose thier case after purchase. As defined in the review, look out for the rear fan colour for a quick indication of the version.

p.s. this is also shown on the outside of the box in the product photos to be able to tell quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by darkblueslider View Post
    Hey, Great review, thanks, came just in time for the after-christmas cash spending
    I was really interested in buying this, but your review threw a spanner in the works.

I'm really not sure my PSU has 4 spare Molex connectors - do the fans come with like a daisychain? Its one of the Early Antec Neopower 480W's - it might have a few spare molex's... but four seems a bit much to ask.

I've got a couple of questions, if you don't mind (Along with Oobie's query on what revision Scan sells)
    Usually with fans you can 'daisy-chain' them, connecting them in a chain to a single molex slot from your PSU, do these fans have the connections to enable you to do that?
    What fan speed are the fans running at in the thermal comparison?

Thanks,
    dark
    See above for the Scan details.

Yes, you can daisy chain the fans together, but this would still require you to have 2 molex connectors free as the wires are not long enough to reach one spot. As per first quoted question, you could of course replace four of the fans with the 3 pin varient.

Thanks for the comments about the review, appreciated

Matt.
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Who the $%£# told you you could eat my cookies?! Oobie-'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Matt
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Registered+
    Thanks
    Can definately suggest going for a modular psu, its pretty tight to work in but ninja scythe fits (bit of a fiddle!)

http://xflux.com/photos/misc/DSC02126.jpg

Thanks
    I have the first version (with the plane black rear exhaust fan) and it does have hardly any to no clearence for the monitor connections, but I was able to fit my VGA connection in (yep, I have an old CRT). I'm also running 5 hdd's inside the thing and it's worth noting that the 120mm intake fans do a really good job of cooling them off, but running that many drives will increase the internal temp. by a few degrees.

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    Bandit5317, get in touch with your reseller or if they won't entertain you, Antec directly, you should be able to get it swapped out for one with proper clearance if you have to go to DVI and still use the 900.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    Bandit5317, get in touch with your reseller or if they won't entertain you, Antec directly, you should be able to get it swapped out for one with proper clearance if you have to go to DVI and still use the 900.
    Will that work?.. Might have to give it a try myself as i have version1 of the case also, luckily my current mobo has the 16x pci-e in line with the 2nd slot. But it was a tight squeeze with last mobo. Will Antec really swap the old rev for new?

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    they should do I would have thought, ask them see what they say

Registered+
    Thanks
    will do! thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information