Thread: asus v9950 user review

Registered+
    Thanks

asus v9950 user review

Thanks for the very nice review you did recently on the video card
    I purchased myself in fact this past friday.

Just thought I'd pass along a few thngs i've noticed about the card myself to you all.

YES it's very quiet.....I cant hear it at all in any application it uses so the solution to the leafblower fiasco has been solved.
    first impressions of the card in action(Vulcan God of Fire demo on Nvidia's site)was nothing short of jaw-dropping....holy cow!!!

The past 3.5 yrs I've used another Asus card.(7700 Deluxe)......which never gave me any hassles and just ONCE in my lifetime I promised myself that one day when the technology had been developed enough to the point of justifying itself that I would get one....and friday was that day.
    The main thing i've noticed so far about this card is how much faster it is from the old GeForce2 card and in most of your cases you'd probably notice the same thing about it so it's kind of a no brainer there.
    I was sort of surprised tho when I opened up the card and first looked at it to find my NON-Ultra card in the blue PCB board and not the green...for a minute I thought someone made a mistake and had shipped me an ULTRA ....evil grin.
    The card installs quite easily....no issues at all with it interfering with anything on my motherboard.....(Asus A7N8X-UAY ver 2.0)....and getting it up and running was a snap.I had to also install a new power supply to meet this card's power requirements and all in all inside of an hour I was on the go.
    In all my testing done yesterday I have noticed one thing about my system....this card needs a fast cpu and fast Ram to really reap it's benefits but on my current system I didnt find any really bad bottlenecks when I threw anything at it.I'm still using a single stick of PC2100 ram combined with an AMD 1700+ xp CPU and in a couple of weeks will move up to a 2500+ with 2 sticks of 3200 ram and that should do the trick.
    Heat wise the card runs very cool in comparison to the old GF2 card....in fact alot cooler so the dual fans on this beast indeed are well thought of in case anyone thinking of that as a possible reason NOT to buy one.
    I am a bit disappointed in the current ASUS SmartDoctor ver 2.7 from the older ones I used for the GeForce2.....I cant seem to get it to bring up any of the same monitoring gauges to see the TEMPS it gets to after giving it a good shakedown in any game i throw at it.Hope Asus fixes that......as an overclock utility it sucks as well.THis card will overclock very good indeed and the ASUS utility is limited to just how high you can O/C it.COOLBITS for this card is the best to use at the current moment and i've got this card as HIGH as 453/950 with no issues at all to speak of.
    I must agree the high cost of this card will be it's main drawback to some who would like to seriously look at it and I dont blame you if it stops you from buying one.....but I got a pretty good deal on this card at a computer store I buy at quite a bit,,,they opened up a brand new store this weekend and they had just about everything on sale so it was a timely buy.
    I ran 2 benchmarks yesterday...the new 3dMark3 and the last 3dMark2001se as well and here are the results I got on both......5103 and 10600.These seem a tad bit low to me and both were in 1078x1024 32 bit with nothing overclocked.SO it appears to me that i need that cpu and RAM upgrade to get the kind of benchmarks I saw you post on the review.
    the docs/manuals also were a bit of a disappointment to me as well....ASUS really got cheap in this generic issue they ship with this card seeing as this is thier first SOLID FX high end card to make it to market.
    Other than that the card is fantastic.....glad i got it and once again thanks for providing all us geeks with your review of the card HEXUS......well done.
    Last edited by smilincanuck; 24-08-2003 at 03:58 PM.

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks
    Glad you liked the review of the card, I've got the Ultra version in my test rig just now, review soon.

You bought well, I really liked the non-Ultra version. I share your comment on the presentation, especially with the manuals. They were a little light, I must admit. Just the bare essential information to get you going.

Look out for the Ultra review next week some time.

Rys
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Registered+
    Thanks
    i certainly cant wait......love this card once you get it smokin.And thank you...

Thread Information