Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 600-700W PSU Shootout

Thanks

600-700W PSU Shootout

What we'll call workstation-class PCs are those on the market today that demand a PSU with outlandish output power, rail options and cabling runs to suit. You'll know instantly if you need one, and the likely spec. of such a PC means that you have the money to spend to grab a supply like those on test today. So to help you choose one from many, we've nabbed over half-a-dozen PSUs with high-end aspirations and subjected them to our test equipment. Read on to see what we found out.
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6507
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks
    It's all about the octopodes!
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    I think I mihgt ask scan to swap my dead enermax for one of those FSP PSU's. Nice review. Could of done with some reference to noise though. High rated PSU's tend to be one of the loadest things in the system.

Thanks
    Nice review, I'm about to buy the FSP 600W one myself. What were the noise levels like?

Out of the Loop
    Thanks
    • vrykyl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG X570 Strix-E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900 @ 4.5ghz 1.28v (Noctua DH15)
      • Memory:
      • 32gb (2x16gb) Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz @ 3800mhz 1.35v
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Corsair MP600 NVME, 256gb Samsung Evo, 4tb WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC 10gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860w + White Braided Cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Limited Edition (Soundproofed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 49" CRG9 Ultrawide 5120x1440 @ 120hz
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80mb fibre (80/20)
    the fsp psu's (i have the epsilon 700w variant) is DEAD silent... cant be heard over whisper quiet cases fans (7v akasa ambers)... Iv had tons of psu's including pcpower&cooling, and this fsp is by far the quietest psu iv ever had Just a shame there's not a 1kw+ fsp epsilon yet

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vrykyl
    the fsp psu's (i have the epsilon 700w variant) is DEAD silent... cant be heard over whisper quiet cases fans (7v akasa ambers)... Iv had tons of psu's including pcpower&cooling, and this fsp is by far the quietest psu iv ever had Just a shame there's not a 1kw+ fsp epsilon yet
    Thanks for that mate, I'm definitly getting the FSP one now. Can't wait for my first build!

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Right thats pretty much sealed the deal on me swapping my enermax for one, well presuming scan have probs with that (tbh I doubt they will).

Thanks

Where is it???

I've seen many a PSU Review and you guys have done a top notch one here the only problem is that people always forget one.

Not sure if it's because this company is not known for it's power supplies or what? All I have to say is I've had several name brand and top notch ones over the years and I've come to believe this is by far the best one I've ever had and I might add I now have 3 of them.

I've cleared up several blue screens and other issues with this over many of the ones in your review and the so called top of the lines. I might also add I think it also has the best warranty of any available...

Without further ado here it is: mdmm.com/products/techietoyz/power-SurePower_600.asp

The reason I bring this up is I'd really like to know how it really does add up to the big guns.

I just can't understand why they are NEVER on anyones review (Anywhere) for PSU's. Well my review is a solid 10 out of 10... Well thanks for reading... lol.

Very Quiet (3) Fans - (3) Speeds (Auto, Standard, Turbo)
    Modular
    5 Year Warranty
    Last edited by Cellar Dweller; 19-08-2006 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks
    i have a few questions about the test results. Why is it that the OCZ 700W gets an 89% efficiency rating while the unit it is based on, FSP Epsilon, gets a 81%? and not only does it have a higher efficiency, it has an unbelievable efficiency of 89%. something seems wrong there. any thoughts?

Thanks

Unhappy Error in review data.

Quote Originally Posted by sn_85
    Why is it that the OCZ 700W gets an 89% efficiency rating while the unit it is based on, FSP Epsilon, gets a 81%? and not only does it have a higher efficiency, it has an unbelievable efficiency of 89%.
    While it is possible that that there are efficiency differences with the same design due to slight manufacturing differences, a jump from 81% to 89% is only possible with a majorly different design. Another hint that there is something wrong here, are the temperature measurements. If the efficiency numbers were correct, then the OCZ is dumping 88.7W of heat into the air and the FSP Epsilon 164.4W. But the temperature measurements show only a difference of 0.5° over ambient. That is just not possible unless the FSP has a way faster moving fan (which I somehow doubt).

Now looking at the numbers again: I think somebody made a typo somewhere. The input power of the OCZ has likely been 870W in stead of 807W.

Nothing runs like a Deere cotswoldcs's Avatar
    Thanks
    • cotswoldcs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Northwood (@3.4Ghz on water)
      • Memory:
      • 1.5Gb Corsair TwinX PC3200/PC3700
      • Storage:
      • 150Gb Raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 6600GT 128Mb (w waterblock)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12-380
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata I
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Iiyama 19" LCD (5:4) on Comrac Tripple Mount
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 1.6Mb ADSL
    Interesting review although it's a shame you didn't mention anything about acoustics. My primary conern when choosing a new PSU would be noise - I'm a fan of quiet systems and am prepared extra for products which generate less noise.

Which PSU of the bunch was the most quiet? Was it the Seasonic - or perhaps the Tagan? Even a subjective opinion would be useful. How do they compare with a 300-400W PSU - are they generally noisier?

Thanks
    This must be one of the worst PSU reviews I have read in a long time. Not only there was no meaningful comparison between the PSUs, both the test data and calculations were off. There is no way OCZ GXS is 89% efficiency unless you guys got a super soup up version of OCZ GXS 700W. And, aren’t the efficiency supposed to be calculated with “actual output” divided by input AC? Also, the Corsair efficiency number doesn’t compute either with “ideal output” or the “actual output”.

I don’t know if your temperature results are right either. If they are, I don’t know how FSP and OCZ can be recommended when they are at least 7 degrees C hotter under load than the others.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psumann
    I don’t know if your temperature results are right either. If they are, I don’t know how FSP and OCZ can be recommended when they are at least 7 degrees C hotter under load than the others.
    Look again at the numbers AND at the text below them. The OCZ and FSP were tested with a higher room ambient temperature. It is the rise over ambient that is important, not the absolute temp.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibors
    Look again at the numbers AND at the text below them. The OCZ and FSP were tested with a higher room ambient temperature. It is the rise over ambient that is important, not the absolute temp.
    You are right. However, that data is still meaningless. Why? Because all of the PSUs tested are equipped with thermally controlled fan. Some fans might not kick in at high RPM if the ambient temperature is low and therefore the rise over ambient might look higher. What I need to see is all of the PSUs tested at the same ambient temp and the noise level comparison between them during idle and under load.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    i have the fsp 700w and i have to say that its really really noisy, annoyingly so. everything about it is "cheap" right from the connectors to the finish of the paint on the psu itself. it says on the box that it is a led fan, mine doesnt have an led (not that im bothered), its the noise thats irritating me. to put it into context, i have 7 yate loon 120mm fans running on full blast and you can hear the psu above them..turn all the yate loons off and the psu fan is blasting away. going to send it back to scan for a refund, its doing my nut in!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk
    i have the fsp 700w and i have to say that its really really noisy, annoyingly so. everything about it is "cheap" right from the connectors to the finish of the paint on the psu itself. it says on the box that it is a led fan, mine doesnt have an led (not that im bothered), its the noise thats irritating me.
    FSP changed the fan - you should be able to get the FSP rep here to check your ser. no. if it's the old or new (quieter) fan.
    My FSP 700W box doesn't say that - however, the fan has light blue blades & I've seen on many forums people thinking that means a blue light fan ... (think it was a translation thing)

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information