Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Batman Arkham City GOTY on Steam

BACKGROUND BIT- This is a review from the perspective of someone who never played the previous game, Arkham Asylum. And also from someone who isn't particularly a comics/Batman fan. i.e. I'm looking at this purely as a game and as someone not looking at this as a sequel. Also most of the early reviews spend 90 percent of the time talking about early graphics glitches - I won't.

Buying / Steam, Bought this a week back in the sales at £10 which for a AAA title ain't bad This is a big install with all the DLCs and wotnet. 19 Gb on the drive. It takes a fair while to install and is quite slow to load each time, even from my SSD. Install is a bit of a pain in the ass too. You have to install Games for Windows Live aswell as Steam for it to work - also GFW Live crashed out several times when first running as it got itself in an autoupdate tailspin. Te logon to GFW Live takes several seconds after launching the game, as does all the intro movies - which can be deleted with a bit of hacking. Lesson in how to annoy legitimate customers 101.

Graphics in the game are real nice. I dabbled with DX11 but gave up on it and went back to DX9 mode as it made things a bit jerky on my low end gear (Radeon 5750). Didn't like the volumetric lighting anyway. Great artwork style - the city looks awesome. You can move fairly freeform around the whole of the huge prison city in the game. Swooping from tower-block to building to street-sign using the grappling hook thing is great fun.

The story isn't bad either. I don't know a huge amount about the bad guy characters but basically all the main baddies seem to be running thug gangs and have various plots going on and stuff. Can't say much more without spoilers. however you can't really change much of what is going on in the plot, and there are a LOT of occasions where control of what happens is taken away from you to a cutscene. Annoying.

However one thing that really has absolutely ruined the whole thing for me is the controls. At best, combat tactics are great and require stealth and siently taking down opponents from sneaky hding under grates, ambushing from behind on swooping down from above. HOWEVER. The game is clearly designed for a gamepad and as such is a truly awful mess of a console port. Like old-skool beat-em'ups, Tekken and so on, the combat is all about hitting button combos to do special strikes and moves. This fails on the PC on multiple levels. One, the PC keyboard isn't as well suited to this style of play. Second, half the time it simply doesn't register the combos correctly or more often sends you flying off in the wrong direction. This is the big flaw of using this with a mouse. - it is directionally challenged. it only really understands forwards, left, right, back, not fine ranges in between. Try to change direction using mouse and it screws it up regularly. In normal early 'thug' street fights it doesn't mater much - just keep hitting punch and most of the time you win. On boss fights and trickier situations in later parts of the game it all goes to pieces. Having a boss fight where you are trying to leap sideways away from a giant sword, and half the time you end up leaping straight at them or you simply freeze on the spot in a odd distorted comic book pose. Awful.

Not tired the DLCs yet - I've just reached what I know is the final boss battle in the main game but have quit due to not wanting to punch my monitor in frustration at the jerky unresponsive confused mess of a control abomination.

Overall, great attractive looking concept marred badly by poor frustrating execution.

Thanks

Re: Batman Arkham City GOTY on Steam

I must say the Game For Windows Live is a complete pain, just as you think you are about to get into your game and get it started, up pops the GFWL login screen, its so disjointed its untrue, and I also had trouble with GFWL on this particular title, for some reason there is a separate program that the marketplace couldn't run and I had to start that manually before starting the game, loading my game, then logging into GFWL before actually getting to play anything lol
    Jon

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Meowmatt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67A-GD53
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Corsair Force 3 and 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX ATI Radion HD7950 Double D Edition
      • PSU:
      • thermaltake toughpower xt 775w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc Midi
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VH226
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 30Mbs

I really liked this game when I could actually play it but for some reason it crashed after about 20 mins of play every time. No idea what the problem was as I never had a problem in any other game. Re installed like 5 times no help; I just gave up in the end. Shame really.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

£10 for the game with all DLC is awesome.

One of the best platform/adventure games to date.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Absolutely it's a great game, I was a little disappointed with Harley's Revenge which unless it was just me didn't take very long to do.
    Jon

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    £10 for the game with all DLC is awesome.
    £4.99 is even better (though that offer is obviously over now).

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Yeah - I'm a bit annoyed about that as the flash sale at £4.99 happened about 6 hours after I bought the £10 version. Means I'm less likely to impulse buy on Steam sales next time in case they drop price even more.

To be fair at least they have a demo, which is more than most companies do these days, even if it is a little short.

Thread Information