Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29,106
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,869 times in 642 posts

    Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Corsair finally arrives on the Mini ITX scene.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • SkarKrow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87 G45 Gaming Series
      • CPU:
      • Intel 4670K @4.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB (2 x 8) Corsair Vengeance LP @1.6GHz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Direct CUII GeForce 670 @1072MHz, 1150 boost. 2GB GDDR5 @6050MHz
      • PSU:
      • Corsair GS600 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit HP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VS247 24" 1920x1080 2ms.
      • Internet:
      • Somewhere in the 8 meg area...

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Actually doesn't look that oversized in the photos, and the fact it can have so much stuff in it is great, suits my needs for SFF quite well, may have to grab one when I get my own place and have need of an overpowered HTPC.

  3. #3
    Mostly Me Lucio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tring
    Posts
    5,163
    Thanks
    443
    Thanked
    448 times in 351 posts
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Darn! I've just build a full size machine because I couldn't find any ITX cases I liked and this comes out!

    (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")


    This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    WestSussex
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    11 times in 9 posts
    • CountBartok's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX8320
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Geil BlackDragon 1866
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Mushkin chronos + 2tb WD Black.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 290 4gb
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic G-Series 750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2312HM

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    What I do not understand is why ITX carries the same price as full size for some manufacturers.
    Would go for coolermaster Elite 130 myself.http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/produc...roduct_id=6923 Retails for around £40.00.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    27 times in 18 posts
    • Brian224's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 SSD 120GB, Seagate 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX760 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W EZCool Silent
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 230T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Acer G226HQLBbd
      • Internet:
      • 30 Mb cable (Virgin Media)

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Quote Originally Posted by CountBartok View Post
    What I do not understand is why ITX carries the same price as full size for some manufacturers.
    Apart from some steel, paint, and the saving from geting twice as many in a 40' box, there is little scope for cost saving with a smaller case.

    Similar number of fans and windows and fittings, almost identical manufacturing and assembly operations, and possibly greater development costs as parts and tooling from the larger cases couldn't be reused.

    I used to get the same comment about cost breakdowns (for greenhouses) and I would bet that the same is true in almost any "metal-bashing" industry, from tin cans to cars.

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • SkarKrow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87 G45 Gaming Series
      • CPU:
      • Intel 4670K @4.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB (2 x 8) Corsair Vengeance LP @1.6GHz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Direct CUII GeForce 670 @1072MHz, 1150 boost. 2GB GDDR5 @6050MHz
      • PSU:
      • Corsair GS600 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit HP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VS247 24" 1920x1080 2ms.
      • Internet:
      • Somewhere in the 8 meg area...

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian224 View Post
    Apart from some steel, paint, and the saving from geting twice as many in a 40' box, there is little scope for cost saving with a smaller case.

    Similar number of fans and windows and fittings, almost identical manufacturing and assembly operations, and possibly greater development costs as parts and tooling from the larger cases couldn't be reused.

    I used to get the same comment about cost breakdowns (for greenhouses) and I would bet that the same is true in almost any "metal-bashing" industry, from tin cans to cars.
    Not to mention with a case this size there's a significant amount of engineering to be done to fit things in, they don't just follow a basic blueprint for this stuff they have to figure out how to maximise it's potential as a complete system whilst minimizing size.

    Something I think Corsair have done well here.

    Also the Cooler Master thing has the PSU jut out the back and thats worth the £40 right there for me.

  7. #7
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,078
    Thanks
    1,208
    Thanked
    2,250 times in 1,851 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Quote Originally Posted by SkarKrow View Post
    Actually doesn't look that oversized in the photos
    Seriously? Yet another mITX case that is *LARGER*, in all dimenstions, than the mATX Antec NSK 1380. I know this is kind of an unfashionable point of view, but I thought the point of small form factor PCs was to be .. well ... small. I can build a more flexible rig, with a much wider choice of components, into a smaller case, by going mATX. I'll swing for mITX when some of the larger case manufacturers actually start taking size seriously in an mITX case....

  8. #8
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,349
    Thanks
    606
    Thanked
    1,590 times in 1,264 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Seriously? Yet another mITX case that is *LARGER*, in all dimenstions, than the mATX Antec NSK 1380. I know this is kind of an unfashionable point of view, but I thought the point of small form factor PCs was to be .. well ... small. I can build a more flexible rig, with a much wider choice of components, into a smaller case, by going mATX. I'll swing for mITX when some of the larger case manufacturers actually start taking size seriously in an mITX case....
    Silverstone SG-05/SG-06? I had an SG-06 a while ago and absolutely loved it. Was a cracking PC for the size. Not dramatically smaller than the NSK 1380, but it is smaller in all dimensions. And the graphics card will always be the sticking point in these machines. With an APU, something like an 8K01 would be great, although the limits on the size of the cooler could be problematic.

    I agree with you about this one, for sure. They'll need to come up with something a lot smaller, and it's clearly possible without sacrificing cooling capacity.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Silverstone SG-05/SG-06? I had an SG-06 a while ago and absolutely loved it. Was a cracking PC for the size. Not dramatically smaller than the NSK 1380, but it is smaller in all dimensions. And the graphics card will always be the sticking point in these machines. With an APU, something like an 8K01 would be great, although the limits on the size of the cooler could be problematic.

    I agree with you about this one, for sure. They'll need to come up with something a lot smaller, and it's clearly possible without sacrificing cooling capacity.
    You only need to take a look at what EVGA has done with the Hadron Air, and also Valve with the prototype SteamMachine, to realise what is possible.

    This Corsair chassis, like so many others out there, talk about small form factor, compactness and all manner of other things, yet the reality of it is that they are anything but small or compact.

    The BitFenix Prodigy was another one too. Everyone raved about how good it was, yet it had distinctly 'wobbly' legs and was only a few millimetres short of being able to accommodate an m-atx board.

    If these companies who are supposedly the best in the business, think things like this are small or compact, then they damn well need to think again, because they will never pry a single penny from my hands.

    Its time they started to show some real innovation.

    SFX power supplies are readily available and a real choice. SSD's are readily available and a real choice. Shorter and smaller GPU's are readily available and a real choice. Just about every component needed can be bought in the smaller size/form factor.

    Any more hints required ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member this_is_gav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alnwick, Northumberland
    Posts
    4,839
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked
    247 times in 214 posts
    • this_is_gav's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI DK X58-T3eH6
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair 1333MHz C9
      • Storage:
      • 2xRaptor 150GB (RAID0 300GB), 2.5TB permanent storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-series
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li A70B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 8M ADSL24

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    I know PCs generally are like this, but so much wasted space!


    Quote Originally Posted by SkarKrow View Post
    Actually doesn't look that oversized in the photos
    Not until you look and see what's presumably a 27" monitor and full size gaming keyboard. It's huge!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bermondsey
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    7 times in 7 posts

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Seriously? Yet another mITX case that is *LARGER*, in all dimenstions, than the mATX Antec NSK 1380. I know this is kind of an unfashionable point of view, but I thought the point of small form factor PCs was to be .. well ... small. I can build a more flexible rig, with a much wider choice of components, into a smaller case, by going mATX. I'll swing for mITX when some of the larger case manufacturers actually start taking size seriously in an mITX case....
    You're right the Antec NKS 1380 is tiny, cleverly designed but having a quick little google search, also tells me that it had a special kind of PSU? (Has a little bit of a cut away) where as the 250D takes almost any PSU
    There's also very little to no possibility of watercooling that case at all (which I personally think is what the 250D is about)

    I really quite like this case, it's just a pity that i don't think my H220 radiator will fit without slim fans
    However will wait for more reviews and see

  12. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    WestSussex
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    11 times in 9 posts
    • CountBartok's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX8320
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Geil BlackDragon 1866
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Mushkin chronos + 2tb WD Black.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 290 4gb
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic G-Series 750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2312HM

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    Quote Originally Posted by SkarKrow View Post
    Not to mention with a case this size there's a significant amount of engineering to be done to fit things in, they don't just follow a basic blueprint for this stuff they have to figure out how to maximise it's potential as a complete system whilst minimizing size.

    Something I think Corsair have done well here.

    Also the Cooler Master thing has the PSU jut out the back and thats worth the £40 right there for me.
    Well as I spend very little time looking at the back of my case I'll save the extra £40.00 thanks.
    And yes I did take into account tooling cost ect, but coolermaster and silverstone both have M-ITX cases for almost half the price.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London (almost)
    Posts
    1,078
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    34 times in 28 posts

    Re: Reviews - Corsair Obsidian Series 250D

    To be honest, whilst it looks like a fine case it's basically just a bit shorter. Look at what Apple has done with the Mac pro and some of the steam boxes and it's obvious that either the form factor standardisation is restrictive, or we are lacking imagination.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •