Thread: Reviews - Asus ET2321INTH

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Asus ET2321INTH

Hands-on with Asus's 23in touchscreen all-in-one PC.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

Re: Reviews - Asus ET2321INTH

How can you give this an 'Approved' award?

It's £1200 for a woeful CPU, a woeful GPU, only 8GB of RAM and NO SSD (!!!!).

I don't care how good the design is, at some point down the sliding scale of hardware power, there comes a point where the tradeoff between cost and performance tips far too far away from performance. This system can't even see that line, it's gone so far past it. £1200 for a PC with no SSD in is, quite frankly, beyond laughable.

Thanks
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

Quote Originally Posted by Roobubba View Post
    How can you give this an 'Approved' award?

It's £1200 for a woeful CPU, a woeful GPU, only 8GB of RAM and NO SSD (!!!!).

I don't care how good the design is, at some point down the sliding scale of hardware power, there comes a point where the tradeoff between cost and performance tips far too far away from performance. This system can't even see that line, it's gone so far past it. £1200 for a PC with no SSD in is, quite frankly, beyond laughable.
    Agree way too expensive for what you get

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by jnutt View Post
    For a standalone PC, yes, for an iMac competitor? Absolutely not. Compare the nearest priced iMac with discrete graphics then your 1299 gets you a smaller screen (21.5" vs. 23") slightly worse (although probably not hugely) i5 3470 a 1TB 5.4k diskand no external speakers.

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

I think herulach has hit the nail on the head. It has to be reviewed in context, not in the I-can-build-a-PC-for-less viewpoint.

It's a stunning bit of kit that would grace any creative office. Sure, we delve deeper and make suggestions as to how it can be improved, but as a premium all-in-one, yes, I approve of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jnutt View Post
    For a standalone PC, yes, for an iMac competitor? Absolutely not. Compare the nearest priced iMac with discrete graphics then your 1299 gets you a smaller screen (21.5" vs. 23") slightly worse (although probably not hugely) i5 3470 a 1TB 5.4k diskand no external speakers.
    The i5 in the £1299 iMac absolutely trounces the one found in this Asus machine. Go to Passmark's benchmarking website for an example. The QUAD CORE i5-4570S in the base level, 21.5" iMac is almost double the speed of Asus' DUAL CORE with hyper threading i7-4500U. This isn’t a misunderstanding or an anomaly. The processor Asus chose is a low power processor meant for ultrabooks. The processor Apple chose is a much more powerful desktop class processor. Above and beyond the clock frequency and the number of cores, there’s a difference in architecture ( as well as the number of units of each necessary type and level 2 cache ) that allow the desktop CPU to far exceed the mobile CPU Asus chose.

Not to mention the iMac includes the GT750M which is worlds faster than the GT740M. There’s a good chance the GT750M is over clocked, too, as it’s probably the same chip used in the Macbook Pros, which are over clocked to the speed of a GTX 660M/760M. I use this chip, it’s more than capable of gaming at 1920x1080. The GT740M is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post
    I think herulach has hit the nail on the head. It has to be reviewed in context, not in the I-can-build-a-PC-for-less viewpoint.

It's a stunning bit of kit that would grace any creative office. Sure, we delve deeper and make suggestions as to how it can be improved, but as a premium all-in-one, yes, I approve of it.
    It’s true, he has. There’s still something to it, though, and there’s the trade off. The Asus machine is far less powerful, but it offers a touch screen and some extra peripherals. It really depends what you’re looking for, but unless you’re doing extremely low power work at home where you want to basically browse media, the iMac is the WAY better deal.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by DotFreelance View Post
    The i5 in the £1299 iMac absolutely trounces the one found in this Asus machine. Go to Passmark's benchmarking website for an example. The QUAD CORE i5-4570S in the base level, 21.5" iMac is almost double the speed of Asus' DUAL CORE with hyper threading i7-4500U. This isn’t a misunderstanding or an anomaly. The processor Asus chose is a low power processor meant for ultrabooks. The processor Apple chose is a much more powerful desktop class processor. Above and beyond the clock frequency and the number of cores, there’s a difference in architecture ( as well as the number of units of each necessary type and level 2 cache ) that allow the desktop CPU to far exceed the mobile CPU Asus chose.

Not to mention the iMac includes the GT750M which is worlds faster than the GT740M. There’s a good chance the GT750M is over clocked, too, as it’s probably the same chip used in the Macbook Pros, which are over clocked to the speed of a GTX 660M/760M. I use this chip, it’s more than capable of gaming at 1920x1080. The GT740M is not.

It’s true, he has. There’s still something to it, though, and there’s the trade off. The Asus machine is far less powerful, but it offers a touch screen and some extra peripherals. It really depends what you’re looking for, but unless you’re doing extremely low power work at home where you want to basically browse media, the iMac is the WAY better deal.
    Thats my mistake, but just being a dual core doesn't write it off to extremly low power work at home. I've seen offices of 30 + staff kitted out with iMacs in ad agencies and the like that are basically used for facebook, twitter and word. Even the cheap one of these would do that fine.

Thanks

I would gladly sell 30+ of these to ad agency staff. I would push the wow factor and tell them anything but the truth until they bought the lot.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by DotFreelance View Post
    Oh give me a break, i largely agree with some of the points made on the "U" CPUs vs the ones Apple use, however a 4500U is still a great CPU capable of comfortably handing most things you could throw at it. You can run a couple of VMs doing relatively basic stuff, alongside office apps and a video streaming on the host. I know because i have done it on the Thinkpad Yoga i had before, and the 13" rMBP i have now. Just because the Apple CPU is a lot more powerful doesn't mean a 4500U is only useful if you want to 'browse the web'. Get some perspective guys seriously.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 13-03-2014 at 12:52 AM.

10. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (12-03-2014)

Thread Information