Thread: Reviews - Scan 3XS Z87 Hadron Hydro

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Scan 3XS Z87 Hadron Hydro

Core i7-4770K and GTX 780 Ti in a small, liquid-cooled PC.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - Scan 3XS Z87 Hadron Hydro

Paying £1950.16 for a system that comes in as £1673.72(asus DCUII/ek Ni w/o dvdrw) in parts is a bit much. I would have understood if they used the Classified watercooled cards (£1702.79 w/o dvdrw) would have been much more understandable for this price as the card cost £647.74 and the one they use £628.84, that £20 cost can be easily recovered by what they pay the guy who removes the ACX cooler to replace it with the ek waterblock

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Scan are pretty good when it comes to assembly price, I reckon the extra cost is because of the extra work required to build this.

Gotta be quite the ballache putting this together, not only working with tight constraints but making sure the liquid cooling runs fine/no leaks etc. so the asking price isn't that bad, it's probably a few days work..and before anyone says "£300 for a few days work I doubt they pay their staff that much", it's a company which works on the principle of making a profit, charging only what it costs them defeats the purpose of a business

Also I reckon it's a comfortable price point for those who would want this - it's not something a "real" PC person would pay, as any worth his salt would both wanna build it himself, and not go for unnecessary liquid cooling (seriously, air cooling is just fine), it's more a boutique product...in my opinion anyway.

Gotta say wouldn't say no if I had one lobbed at me for free though, but I'm a sucker for a monster case, give me a full tower any day

Thanks

Comparing this to an Intel NUC that is over 4 times cheaper ?

This is like Top Gear comparing a ferrari against a Ford Fiesta ! I'd of prefered a comparison to a similar PC pre-build from scan that has similar specs, than a NUC that is in no way aimed at the same crowd at all.

Or did you compare it to such lacklustre systems in order to make it purposefully jump out of the graphs more, artificially making it look better than the others ?

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

@Sim0n - did you read the bottom of page 2? where it says

Notes

Scan's 3XS Z87 Hadron Hydro is the first overclocked gaming rig to enter the HEXUS labs since the introduction of our new test suite. We're including benchmark results from a selection of much cheaper small-form-factor PCs, though do bear in mind they are only a point of reference and cannot be compared directly.

Other gaming rigs will be added to the line-up in due course, but for now we're only interested in seeing what sort of numbers the 3XS Z87 Hadron Hydro can achieve.

its just to build up a big table of results from different price points, and by using one set of tests you can easily see what throwing more money at a PC can get you.

there's nothing nefarious going on from what I can see anyhow.

6. Received thanks from:

Tarinder (01-04-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Scan are pretty good when it comes to assembly price
    But they are pretty bad if it goes wrong - read the small print very carefully before you buy anything from them.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post

Gotta say wouldn't say no if I had one lobbed at me for free though, but I'm a sucker for a monster case, give me a full tower any day
    Gotta say I agree with lovin the large full towers. Don't understand the craze of making the desktop pc smaller and smaller the tower sits in 1 spot and never moves why does it need to be small and light when ur never gonna move it around. Liquid cooling is almost pointless and adds more risks. A full tower with 3-4 quality large quiet case fans a noctua d-14 cpu cooler (works better then most water cooling setups but its massive in size) and a gpu with arctic accelero extreme cooling the 3 fan option and ur set and it's so easy to build and route wires and fit everything in a full tower.

I guess im getting old, refuse to downsize my pc and refuse to downsize my laptop to a tablet like all these kids nowadays. For reference I have a corsair 850d tower and an alienware m18xr1 that i upgraded to an r2 inside an r1's chassis basicallly with gtx 680m sli and the triple heatpipe cpu heatsink still has the r1 mobo and i7 2960m cpu

I do like the new 8hr+ battery life ultrabooks tho. With heavy tweaking I've got my m18x runtime up to 5 hours browsing the web around 3 if i watch a lot of video, to game u got to plug in or be prepared to be cut off in an hour if ur lucky.. Might just have to get me 1 of them newfangled ultrabooks maybe after 14nm broadwell since its close.

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

The benchmark suite was changed at the start of 2014 and thus rendered all older results incomparable.

We have other ultra-high-end systems in the labs - think AMD FX-9590 and two watercooled R9 290X cards - and they will also be compared against the Scan. We'll begin to remove the less-pertinent ones as time goes on.

Thanks
    • jackjack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • VColor 8GBx2 DDR4 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • SK Hynix SSD 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2060 OC
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR CX550F RGB 550 Watt
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27G2

Excellent review Parm Mann for Excellent system the Scan 3XS Z87 Hadron Hydro!

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

A 300Mhz overclock on the CPU is a bit conservative for water cooling. Considering all the expense involved, is it really worth it?

Registered+
    Thanks

£2k is a bit much for something that looks dated with green tubbing with anti kink springs. if it is aimed at gaming, a 4770k is a bit overkill.

Thanks
    • .havoc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Auros
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700x
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb DDR4 @ 2993mhz
      • Storage:
      • Plextor m2 / Samsung 850 pro / Crucial M4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1500w
      • Case:
      • Caselabs Bullet BH8
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x 24in 1440p 165hz, 1x 1080p 144hz
      • Internet:
      • 220mb

Quote Originally Posted by Laststop View Post
    Gotta say I agree with lovin the large full towers. Don't understand the craze of making the desktop pc smaller and smaller the tower sits in 1 spot and never moves why does it need to be small and light when ur never gonna move it around. Liquid cooling is almost pointless and adds more risks. A full tower with 3-4 quality large quiet case fans a noctua d-14 cpu cooler (works better then most water cooling setups but its massive in size) and a gpu with arctic accelero extreme cooling the 3 fan option and ur set and it's so easy to build and route wires and fit everything in a full tower.
    I got a love for large towers - eyeing up the 900d for my next rig.

Gotta disagree with the liquid cooling statement though. It has its place.

Liquid cooling equipment is getting better and better each year, with safer, more reliable fittings and better coolant. Maintenance is a still pain in the private areas, although if you set up your rig to include to a drain tube then it makes life a little easier. That D-14 is a behemoth of a cooler in both size and weight - I never like anything could potentially warp the board. No such risk with LC. And whereas yes the Accelero is a great GPU cooler, it takes up 3 expansion slots and requires 3 fans to do so, so you are limited to 2 gpus. Its a fine single GPU solution, but if you are an enthusiast looking to LC, chances are you looking at a 2 card minimum setup, thats when things start getting toasty and noisy. Any more than 2 then you'd be pretty brave to not LC. Your system will also start to sound like a wind tunnel when things start warming up. Liquid cooling will always be silent (unless your pump breaks...then panic), which for some is reason enough to use it.

LC isn't pointless, it just depends on the context in which you plan on using it.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Gotta say I agree with lovin the large full towers. Don't understand the craze of making the desktop pc smaller and smaller the tower sits in 1 spot and never moves why does it need to be small and light when ur never gonna move it around.
    If you're talking desktop PCs then it depends how big your desk is. A smaller unit might mean you have room for a bigger monitor

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

If I was in the market for a high end gaming PC, and by high end I mean ~£2k for the base unit only like this, I'd want it to be able to drive 3 monitors for a more immersive gaming experience.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

The 'craze' is you can fit that entire system into a much smaller chassis. Why bother with a chassis with a cubic metre of empty space inside? It serves no useful function, and it's just a thermal liability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thread Information