• Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Re: Reviews - Nvidia Shield Tablet

Trying to work out if this has more or less power than the Xbox 360 or Ps3?

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    Trying to work out if this has more or less power than the Xbox 360 or Ps3?
    In terms of raw numbers it has more RAM, a more powerful GPU, I don't know about CPU because that's a bit harder to test but it's certainly one of the best mobile chips out there (seen some other sites say it beats the ipad air so not sure what's going on here)... the question really is whether you'd see something as good as a console game launching on Android, being ported yes but launching I'm not sure.

Thanks
    • Sumanji's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C TG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GK950F 34" (3440x1440 @144Hz)
      • Internet:
      • Verizon FiOS (1Gb / 1Gb)

Perhaps I'm missing the point of this, but I just see this as a solid and cheap high-performance tablet.

Probably going to "early-upgrade" my LG G Pad 8.3 with the LTE Shield.

The front facing speakers, bigger battery and LTE radio makes it worth the upgrade... the
    game streaming, stylus etc. are just fluffy bits I probably will never use!

Su

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Sumanji View Post
    The front facing speakers, bigger battery and LTE radio makes it worth the upgrade... the game streaming, stylus etc. are just fluffy bits I probably will never use!
    Not that bothered about the LTE (when there's wifi everywhere these days) but I'll maybe disagree about the stylus. Okay, it's not as good as the one on the Note tablets, but it can still be handy for those "sausage finger" moments when trying to drive a badly designed website. There's also a reasonable review over at SlashGear of the DirectStylus2. If you've got an artistic lean, or just like to dabble, then it could be a useful tool.

Hexus, why compare this to merely two Apple products? Personally I'd like to have seen something like the Galaxy Note 8.0 thrown into the mix. That's got the quad-core, 8" screen and stylus so would be a good competitor surely to the shield. Heck, failing that what about the 8" Galaxy Tab or even the Nexus 7?
    Last edited by crossy; 30-07-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

not sure why they class 1920x1200 as a low res, especially on a 8" screen. that even looks pretty damn good on a 24" monitor.
    i doubt you can see much difference between that and the ipad mini new screen res.

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickWill View Post
    So, after making a point that this "review" seemed like an advertorial 3 days ago, I've just seen it jump to the top of the front page, with no discernible update to the content. I'm guessing nVidia's cheque cleared?
    Didn't they add in all the benchmarks? Hexus quite frequently adds content to an existing thread and bumps it to the top of the page - think you might need ease off on the conspiracy theories
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Quote Originally Posted by CK_1985 View Post
    Didn't they add in all the benchmarks? Hexus quite frequently adds content to an existing thread and bumps it to the top of the page - think you might need ease off on the conspiracy theories
    This article was written (first three pages) when pre-orders started, then a few days later it jumped to the top of the news pile with no changes. Finally a few days after that when they started shipping it got updated with an actual review of the product, bit weird but hey.

I'm not sure what I expected to read, it's a tablet and it's one that clobbers the nexus 7 in terms of specs and performance. This is pretty much what I bought it for, that and the aspects that've been upgraded over the tegra note 7 I'm writing this on.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
    This article was written (first three pages) when pre-orders started, then a few days later it jumped to the top of the news pile with no changes. Finally a few days after that when they started shipping it got updated with an actual review of the product, bit weird but hey.
    Heard of similar behaviour on another site that I used to follow. And like here there were accusations of "bias". In reality the explanation turned out to be a lot simpler (and boring). The CMS that they were using for the site setup the title page based on creation times of the story/article files. So if a journalist spotted a typo and decided to upload a new (corrected) version of the article then it got pushed as a "new" story.

Oh and personally I've zero issue with bias as long as everyone's up front about it. On the other hand nothing gets my back up like a "neutral" site that isn't. I stopped buying PC Pro magazine for exactly that reason.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

9. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by CK_1985 View Post
    There was an actual review added. It was just an overview before. The update comfortably has enough to justify a 'bump'.

Sure its a bit lame to do the whole half and half thing but advertised paid websites is a cut throat market.

Thanks

WHY would you review an Android tablet and not compare the performance to another Android tablet but to two iOS devices? Has the review team at Hexus lost the plot these days?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • slipthemonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A97 R2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8320
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128GB Force Series SSD & 1TB WD Caviar Green HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider Plus
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master N300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • IIyama 27" GE2788HS Black Hawk

I've read elsewhere that one of the apps the Shield can launch is a Steam Big Picture client enabling streaming from Steam to the tablet. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Steam big picture works on the old handheld, so I'd be amazed if it didn't work on the tablet. You can play games not on nvidia's supported list and add non steam games this way

Edit: you typically need to add custom key or controller mapping (pinnacle profiler) for unsupported games
    Last edited by naturbo2000; 05-08-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks

I gotta laugh at the "low-res" screen nitpick. Really, Hexus? A 1920x1200 resolution 8-inch screen is considered low-res? As if anyone can notice a few PPI difference with the crApple hypePad Airy? And while Samsung still uses 1024x600 resolutions on even their latest 7" tablets and 1280x800 on their latest 10" tablets???

This reminded me of the reviews of the LG G3 phablet's 4K screen on a 6" display, the reviewers kept downplaying the 4K screen claiming you won't notice the difference from a 1280x800 res screen. It's as if all the reviewers just mindlessly parroted the classic Reality Distortion Field marketing propaganda from the crApple iFruitcakes: downplay features/capabilities that you don't have until you (iFruity team) get them, at which point you proclaim it as the "best, most innovative" thing ever introduced. I can't believe Hexus would fall for the same old RDF spin.

Bottomline: 1920x1200 on an 8" screen is great; noticeably better than typical Android tablets with the same size and similar price, and indistinguishable from the Retina marketing name used for the non-standard proportioned crApple screens.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by mentat View Post
    I gotta laugh at the "low-res" screen nitpick. Really, Hexus? A 1920x1200 resolution 8-inch screen is considered low-res? As if anyone can notice a few PPI difference with the crApple hypePad Airy? And while Samsung still uses 1024x600 resolutions on even their latest 7" tablets and 1280x800 on their latest 10" tablets???

This reminded me of the reviews of the LG G3 phablet's 4K screen on a 6" display, the reviewers kept downplaying the 4K screen claiming you won't notice the difference from a 1280x800 res screen. It's as if all the reviewers just mindlessly parroted the classic Reality Distortion Field marketing propaganda from the crApple iFruitcakes: downplay features/capabilities that you don't have until you (iFruity team) get them, at which point you proclaim it as the "best, most innovative" thing ever introduced. I can't believe Hexus would fall for the same old RDF spin.

Bottomline: 1920x1200 on an 8" screen is great; noticeably better than typical Android tablets with the same size and similar price, and indistinguishable from the Retina marketing name used for the non-standard proportioned crApple screens.
    I must admit, I had a giggle at the resolution comments aswell. It would be interesting to see them side by side displaying an identical image to make a real judgement but there is no way that res will look anything other than brilliant on an 8"er.

I still haven't put my order for one of these in yet due to current budget situations... damn cars

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by mentat View Post

I'm going to agree with you to an extent - although if I'd written that post then there would have been less anti-Apple vitriol thrown. But those last two sentences of paragraph 2 is all too true I'm afraid.

<off-topic>
    I'll need to correct you on the G3 comments. LG regard it as a phone not a "phablet" and your quoted screen size is wrong - it's only got a 5.5" screen not 6". Like you though I got a bit tired of reading endless drivel that the "QuadHD" screen was merely a feature because LG had the screen available. Heck, if Samsung did the same then no-one would have complained. Other thing I take issue with on the reviews is that the G3's screen means that battery life is "severely compromised". Yes I agree that a 1080p screen would draw less power when lit, but for my usage case my G3 easily beats my previous Samsung S3 (with a 720p screen) for longevity, (and it charges faster to boot). Oh, and while Twitter etc probably don't benefit from that 4K screen, I can definitely see a slight increased sharpness compared to a Galaxy S5.
    </off-topic>

One point about the resolution that's been oft-quoted in the G3 reviews is that high-res screens draw more power themselves and need more powerful graphics to drive correctly. Both have an impact on battery life, so I'd argue for the Shield that I'd prefer this "low resolution" screen to one of higher resolution but which would have me reaching for that power brick sooner.
    Last edited by crossy; 12-08-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Ambiguous wording, said 4K but meant QHD.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I'm going to agree with you to an extent - although if I'd written that post then there would have been less anti-Apple vitriol thrown. But that last sentence of paragraph 2 is all too true I'm afraid.

<off-topic>
    I'll need to correct you on the G3 comments. LG regard it as a phone not a "phablet" and your quoted screen size is wrong - it's only got a 5.5" screen not 6". Like you though I got a bit tired of reading endless drivel that the 4K screen was merely a feature because LG had the screen available. Heck, if Samsung did the same then no-one would have complained. Other thing I take issue with on the reviews is that the G3's screen means that battery life is "severely compromised". Yes I agree that a 1080p screen would draw less power when lit, but for my usage case my G3 easily beats my previous Samsung S3 (with a 720p screen) for longevity, (and it charges faster to boot). Oh, and while Twitter etc probably don't benefit from that 4K screen, I can definitely see a slight increased sharpness compared to a Galaxy S5.
    </off-topic>

One point about the resolution that's been oft-quoted in the G3 reviews is that high-res screens draw more power themselves and need more powerful graphics to drive correctly. Both have an impact on battery life, so I'd argue that I'd prefer this "low resolution" screen to one of higher resolution but which would have me reaching for that power brick sooner.
    Isn't it 1440p rather than 4k?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information