Thread: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 980 Strix

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 980 Strix

Worth the premium over GTX 970 Strix?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - Asus GeForce GTX 980 Strix

Looks like that weird fan design on the 700 series cards wasn't worth bringing forward, not really surprised.

Thanks

Even though its good to see new GPU series coming out often and good competition on the market, I still feel that the more consumer end zone doesn't leave in too many options if you want to buy a GPU and run the latest games at maximum graphic quality. It would be nice to see more GPUs in the mid range area with better performance and with the ability to be useful for more than just half a year or so. For example buying a mid range GPU now doesn't guarantee that you can have the best gaming experience with any of the latest GPU demanding games out (like BF4 or Rome II) which either forces you to go for a cheaper GPU and leave out those demanding titles, or makes you play them at a lower level of graphic performance, making it a not so nice gaming experience (which could in turn make you not want to continue investing in gaming components).

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by demothon View Post
    Even though its good to see new GPU series coming out often and good competition on the market, I still feel that the more consumer end zone doesn't leave in too many options if you want to buy a GPU and run the latest games at maximum graphic quality. It would be nice to see more GPUs in the mid range area with better performance and with the ability to be useful for more than just half a year or so. For example buying a mid range GPU now doesn't guarantee that you can have the best gaming experience with any of the latest GPU demanding games out (like BF4 or Rome II) which either forces you to go for a cheaper GPU and leave out those demanding titles, or makes you play them at a lower level of graphic performance, making it a not so nice gaming experience (which could in turn make you not want to continue investing in gaming components).
    The 760 does perfectly fine at 1080p gaming and will allow you to go to near-max settings in most cases. You can't ask for max quality across the board from a mid-range card.

I have dual 670s, but one is currently out of commission, and I gotta say it does very well for 1200p..I have to turn down AA and disable a few high end settings but generally games look superb, and the 670 is about on par with a 760

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demothon View Post
    with the ability to be useful for more than just half a year or so.
    I think the problem here is with game devs, not GPU makers.

Thanks
    • AD-15's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @4.45GHz!!!! (No HT)
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB G.Skill Trident
      • Storage:
      • 1x 160, 1x 250 (Both 16MB cache SATA2 WD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 460 1GB @ 815, 1013MHz
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX Series Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell E228WFP

How come there is such a huge difference in the power consumption between the Strix and the reference models according to the Hexus review, but in the KitGuru review the test has them almost identical?

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...oc-review/20/l

Nearly 50W extra according to Hexus, but no significant difference according to KG's test.
    Industrial espionage is simply the sincerest form of flattery......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    The 760 does perfectly fine at 1080p gaming and will allow you to go to near-max settings in most cases. You can't ask for max quality across the board from a mid-range card.

I have dual 670s, but one is currently out of commission, and I gotta say it does very well for 1200p..I have to turn down AA and disable a few high end settings but generally games look superb, and the 670 is about on par with a 760
    I do understand what you say about the 760 but even that is more of a high end GPU where I live. To make it a bit more clearer it costs around 200 Euro where as the minimum wage/month is 200 Euro in my country. Maybe a price cut would solve the problem, maybe pricing should also consider economics depending on each country where you want to sell your product.

Thread Information