Thread: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming

Another quality card primed for the enthusiast.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming

Apologies if this has been done previously, but has Hexus ever reviewed a card, then OC'd the memory (only) for comparison? I only ask because it is something Hexus regularly mentions that memory is still at stock in GFX reviews as a negative, yet manufacturers, while more than willing to significantly overclock the core etc. rarely do this. Is it that it doesn't make much difference, or is there some technical reason why they clock everything else but not the memory, as from their point of view, surely even 1% increased performace on their OC model would look favourable compared to their competitors.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Mauley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 PC Mate
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-4590
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 250GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoPower 550w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flatron 23.5in LED
      • Internet:
      • Plusent 80Mb Fibre

I'm a bit miffed to not see the MSI GTX 970 compared with this in the benches. I have this card and I love it.

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    Apologies if this has been done previously, but has Hexus ever reviewed a card, then OC'd the memory (only) for comparison? I only ask because it is something Hexus regularly mentions that memory is still at stock in GFX reviews as a negative, yet manufacturers, while more than willing to significantly overclock the core etc. rarely do this. Is it that it doesn't make much difference, or is there some technical reason why they clock everything else but not the memory, as from their point of view, surely even 1% increased performace on their OC model would look favourable compared to their competitors.
    Are you saying you would like to see benchmarks with the core at the shipping speed but memory at, say, an effective 7,800MHz, to see what effect more bandwidth has on results? This would be a purely theoretical exercise as no-one clocks memory this high.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post
    Are you saying you would like to see benchmarks with the core at the shipping speed but memory at, say, an effective 7,800MHz, to see what effect more bandwidth has on results? This would be a purely theoretical exercise as no-one clocks memory this high.
    For the factory overclocked models, I think seeing if any memory overclock makes any difference (at factory GPU speeds) would be useful - presumably you have done the test already if you list the lack of a factory overclock on memory as a negative. Alternatively if not then doing the test and showing the results will enable you to stop listing lack of factory memory OC as a negative. Ie you'll be adding confidence to the Hexus statements.

6. Received thanks from:

Tpyo (15-12-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post
    If it hasn't already been done, then just taking a unit with/without factory core OC and showing what difference it makes. The level of OC can be whatever is practical to do/you would like to see the 3rd parties do as factory memory OC. As Kalniel says, if there isn't a significant difference, why is (almost) always listed as a negative on Hexus GFX reviews?

Thread Information