Thread: Synology DS115

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Synology DS115

One of the best single-bay NAS solutions on the market.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Synology DS115

If you're going to backup to the cloud anyway, I'm not sure I see the need for this device - unless rapid local access is needed, the cloud itself is backed up and would suffice. If the aim is to have access but retain control over your data - the ability to pair two or more of these (kept in different locations) up so they keep the data synced between them would be far more interesting, as you'd have a real personal cloud with online access and distributed backup, all under your control.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    If you're going to backup to the cloud anyway, I'm not sure I see the need for this device - unless rapid local access is needed, the cloud itself is backed up and would suffice. If the aim is to have access but retain control over your data - the ability to pair two or more of these (kept in different locations) up so they keep the data synced between them would be far more interesting, as you'd have a real personal cloud with online access and distributed backup, all under your control.
    I'm not convinced this and cloud are mutually exclusive. Cloud - to me - is fine for small collections of files, whereas I'd want a local NAS like this for stuffing backups etc on (especially given that a highly-compressed backup can be more than a TB).

I like your thinking though about the possibility of getting multiple drives, say one for you, one for parents and one for brother/sister and effectively setup a personal cloud by replicating between the units.

One question I have though, if the dual-bay DS214e is "roughly the same price" as the DS115, then why would I chose the single bay unit if the dual-bay one can give me more space or better resilience?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

It may out perform the WD My Cloud but for the price of this you can get a 3TB My Cloud, you still have to factor in the cost of a 3TB drive for the Synology so thats around another £80. For the average consumer who just wants peace of mind backup for minimal outlay surely the WD is the best option.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    It may out perform the WD My Cloud but for the price of this you can get a 3TB My Cloud, you still have to factor in the cost of a 3TB drive for the Synology so thats around another £80. For the average consumer who just wants peace of mind backup for minimal outlay surely the WD is the best option.
    Last couple of promotional emails I've had from WD have hammered home the point that the MyCloud is (according to them) the best of both worlds, as it's an internet-accessible device (like Dropbox, Box, etc) but the storage is under your exclusive control.

Now while I've not used the MyCloud remote features yet, the Synology would probably have to offer similar in order to take sales from the MyCloud. That said, the consistently better performance of the Synology would be a big plus in my book.
    Last edited by crossy; 06-02-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

A NAS is a storage device not a backup device. It does backup, of course, but is used for sharing files amongst multiple users across a network. I think the WD Cloud is a wonderful solution if you require the cloud and simple plug and play storage, however a NAS offers so much more and at faster speeds. I have about 25gb of personal photos and videos, the rest is multiple TB's of films and music that needs to be shared accross the family to multiple rooms, this is where the NAS is more suited.
    I love the fact that Hexus is running some NAS competitions at the moment. As soon as they are closed and assuming I don't win, I am going for a Synology DS415+ as an early (very) 2015 xmas present...

Registered+
    Thanks

As long as you understand for what and how you're going to own a NAS or Cloud or both, as well as future expansion, you can make a right choice. NASs and Clouds don't deny each other. I myself am now using several NASs, 1 bay and 2 bay,for convenient backups and/or sharings across local network, and when necessar as temporary personal cloud.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake123 View Post
    A NAS is a storage device not a backup device. It does backup, of course, but is used for sharing files amongst multiple users across a network.
    Disagree. A NAS is a way to provide shared storage on a network. Thismakes it very convenient as a place to schedule automated backups to. Which, strangely enough, is the major use I'm making of my MyCloud at the moment. I've got a high ratio of laptops so the usual backup solution of a 2nd drive isn't doable.

Registered+
    Thanks

I will give Synology my vote for good company, good products and timely updates. MY DS-1513+ runs perfectly, is very quick, QUIET and cool. They seem to update the software frequently and their support is quick to answer any question. I am very pleased with them.

Thread Information