Thread: Qnap TS-453mini

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Qnap TS-453mini

A smaller, stylish alternative to the award-winning TS-453 Pro.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Qnap TS-453mini

Very nice. I own a much older QNAP 4 bay NAS and it is rock solid - maybe no longer the fastest but for what I use it for, good enough. With the demise of Windows Media Centre, the inclusion of Kodi server as an alternative to Plex is interesting.

Being paranoid about HDD failure, I consider 4 bay NAS to be the minimum for safety, but as disk capacities get ever bigger the question must be is that really necessary? Would a simple 2 Bay NAS in Raid 1 be enough for most people? In my current NAS I use about 4TB, mostly Blu-ray movies, largely uncompressed (well if you have the space why compress and lose quality), that is roughly 150 movies and a load of TV series. It will be years before 4K movies are the norm and even then I probably would not upgrade my collection. My use is, I hope, probably fairly typically - 2x 10TB HDD in Raid 1 would be a jump in capacity.

What do others think - what home use requires a 4 bay NAS these days

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by cjs150 View Post
    What do others think - what home use requires a 4 bay NAS these days
    Excluding the mid-range Hexus dweller (the high-end folks won't bother with a pre-build NAS, they'll roll their own...) the only justification for a 4-bay NAS I can think of is if you need more capacity than is available on a single drive. Totally agree that a multibay home NAS should always be configured as at least RAID1. Mid-range Hexus folks might need the performance etc of RAID0+1, RAID5+ so for them a 4-bay is the minimum acceptable leve I'm guessingl.

Getting back to the article - interesting set of numbers. I'm also struck that the WD kit comes out as "middling" in everything. So not the best at anything, nor the worst neither - presumably making it a good "safe" (but unexciting) choice. Good news for me since I've got two WD single-bay units at the moment. Really would like to be able to consolidate to a single 2-bay (mirrored) unit, but funds don't permit at the moment.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I'm really interested in this NAS.... I'm choosing beetween the Pro and the Mini one. My concern is about the noise. The mini is sposored by

Qnap as a sleak model with "a quiet exhaust for heat dissipation" .. so I would to know how much silent is the 453 mini than the 453 pro ?

Thread Information