Thread: Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin II

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin II

The Chinese alternative to Austria's NH-D15.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin II

" We'd like to see Deepcool offer more thermal paste at this price point - the bundled tube is only good for one or two installations - "

Personally I think anyone spending over £50 on a cooler is going to get 3rd party paste anyway but yeah an AS5 sized tube is about as small as I would like with any cooler these days.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Whilst I really liked Deepcool's previously reviewed cooler for it's price competitiveness this runs far to close to the Noctua at the same price.

You're about £15 too wishful Deepcool. Warranty, noise, performance, Noctua has you beat at them all. Even if Deepcool has an easier mounting system and a superior aesthetic.
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

We'd like to see Deepcool offer more thermal paste at this price point - the bundled tube is only good for one or two installations
    I've two questions about this comment. Firstly am I the only person who prefers to skip "bundled" t.p. and use something bought specially (ok, Arctic Silver 5). Secondly, I thought that the "perceived wisdom" was that you didn't mess around with a cpu/hsf install once it was in. For example, my creaky ole Phenom got installed in 2010 and then again this year - the 2nd install being forced on me because I had to upgrade motherboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post
    You're about £15 too wishful Deepcool. Warranty, noise, performance, Noctua has you beat at them all. Even if Deepcool has an easier mounting system and a superior aesthetic.
    I'm kind of in agreement there - if the better performing, (and better packaged), Noctua is about £70 then I'd expect this Deepcool to be £50-55. Okay, the Deepcool has fans with removable/washable blade (which I like the sound of), but the Noctua has dual 140's v's Deepcools 140/120 combo. Not sure about the D15, but the packaging/presentation of the D14 screamed "premium product".

Interesting comment about the Noctua's mounting system - I didn't have much of a problem installing the NH-D14 on my AM3+ board, and I thought the D15 used the same system? Actually, I did have the usual D14 problem that it covers the first DIMM slots. Aesthetics are a personal thing but I think I'd prefer the Noctua's quiet understatement.

Biggest problems with my D14 are the sheer size of the thing (having to work around it all the time!) and defluffing all those radiator fins! Which is why I'm seriously contemplating a Corsair AIO for the next build.
    Last edited by crossy; 11-11-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Good news, folks. In response to the HEXUS review, Deepcool has temporarily lowered the UK price to £59.99, making it around 15 per cent cheaper than the Noctua.

We're told this is a promotional offer that will run for an unspecified period and the price change is already in effect: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00V62I9U4/

Thanks
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Here in Australia it is just under $100 and the Noctua NH-D15 is at least $125 (prices quoted from several shops which have both in stock and are not promotional or sales discounted prices)
    So they got it close to right to account for differences.
    Still think for around the same money you can get a reasonable AIO (examples - DeepCool Gamer Storm Captain 240 CPU Cooler for between $115 to $120, or a Cooler Master Seidon 240M for about $10 more, all at the same shops).

Which would you prefer if you had the option?

I had swapped all my fans (except the 4x 200mm - in my last case - a CM Hafx 942 with a external bracket for radiators) for Noctua and it made a noticeable difference in noise, plus these were more productive (just going off the stats). I accidentally got 2x Noctua PPC fans (140mm 3000rpm) fans, and OK they were a bit louder :-), but boy did they move some air.
    Last edited by whatif; 12-11-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Thread Information