• i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Re: Dell XPS 15

The problem with thin bezel screens is no room up top for a camera. Not ideal but still functional at the bottom of the screen, people can see up your nose though.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks

Lol ... you have to laugh sometimes as to where they find reviewers.
    Its a virtually bezel less display widthwise so there is little one can do with the width save go completely bezel free or change the aspect ratio. Its a 15.6" form factor, if you want it less large then get a 13" or 14" ... Lol.

Thanks

I've had 6 of these for the work I'm at since January, of which 3 send in as "better batches replacements".

In three words, everyting about the XPS 9550: They are ####

Dell doesn't have their software sorted, and is horrible even with ProSupport:
    - They included a 2011 version of PremierColor which went on to 2GB+ memory leak within a few minutes;
    - These things have sleep issues
    - They artifact and BSOD regularly (daily), especially with peripherals (like an external monitor)
    - The list goes on, and on

Yeah, they're pretty to look at, but if you'd have fully tested / used them, you would know these models are not supposed to be sold.

You don't need to believe me, just search for XPS 9550 problems (it's a XPS 15 9550), and you're in for a world of incompatibility and bad engineeringship.

Cheers!

PS: I didn't even dislike Dell so much before this, but this product is a joke. I'm telling this so people can make up their mind about this product, instead of just reading about how nice it looks.

4. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (09-05-2016)

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Allubz View Post
    I've had 6 of these for the work I'm at since January, of which 3 send in as "better batches replacements".

- They included a 2011 version of PremierColor which went on to 2GB+ memory leak within a few minutes;
    - They artifact and BSOD regularly (daily), especially with peripherals (like an external monitor)

Yeah, they're pretty to look at, but if you'd have fully tested / used them, you would know these models are not supposed to be sold.

You don't need to believe me, just search for XPS 9550 problems (it's a XPS 15 9550), and you're in for a world of incompatibility and bad engineeringship.

Cheers!

PS: I didn't even dislike Dell so much before this, but this product is a joke. I'm telling this so people can make up their mind about this product, instead of just reading about how nice it looks.
    To counter that I've deployed 50+ now and colleagues of mine globally a similar amount. Think we've had 1 faulty unit, the rest have been fine.
    I'm not saying they don't have problems, but hey what machine these days doesn't?

As mentioned, our fleet consists of XPS 13 (9350), XPS 15 (9550) Precision 5510 and a handful of Latitude E5570's.

Just to balance the rant

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhx123 View Post
    According to the service manual, to remove the heatsink and fans all you need to do is remove the back cover, then you will be able to immediately remove the heat sink assembly with 6 screws.

As for the USB situation, it isn't ideal, but at least there is the Type-C port too.[...]
    That actually is a huge improvement. There is a "backcover" on the L502x, but it only gives you access the RAM and some other parts. To really to the CPU/GPU fan you have to disassemble most of the machine.

Still, a shame about the limited USB ports. The previous XPS15 (9530) had four USB ports looking seems (http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9530/pd) which is great. I can do with three ports, but two is uncomfortable. When transferring data from one drive to another (whether it is from/to external HD, pen drive, card reader because the one that came with the L502x is kinda dodgy) I still like to use different USB ports. Strictly speaking USB3.1 is more than enough bandwidth especially not using SSD drives, but I still feel more comfortable using different ports than relying on a hub (which is also an extra thing to carry when travelling).

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Allubz View Post

Cheers!

I am with you on this, on the notebook review forums not many people who were ordering got a perfect unit.
    I originally owned a 9530, trouble is it was the 4th 9530 replacement in 6 months (4 weeks build time for each one) #4 served me for a year and started to have fan issues, so they came out and swapped the fans 3 times but the replacements had various faults. When they said they would need to replace the mainboard to fix it (like it would fix a bearing fault) I questioned the replacement boards quality due to me getting through 3 units before getting one without bad Haswell coil whine. Dells response was new mainboard or we build you a new laptop.

As the 9530 was no longer built by my quick google fu whilst on the phone I saw a chance in getting a 9550 as a replacement, so obviously I did.

2 weeks later it arrived, 16gb RAM, 512 NVMe drive 4 k panel, I was over the moon until I cleaned the screen a month later, I found a panel flaw about 6 inch long that I assume was the ophthalmic coating as cleaning fluid stayed on that rough patch, a phone call later Dell tell me they will replace the screen, then during the engineer booking tell me they have no panels and could only offer to build me a new laptop *sigh*

2nd one arrived, and looked perfect until I did a monitor diagnostics and saw what looked like dust under the panel so a phone call later I am told the same crap, no panels we will build another.

THE NEXT ONE HAD THE IDENTICAL FLAW!

So I rang back and bitched it was a manufacturing issue and I wanted another building and properly testing. They initially agreed then after a long time on hold told me I would be receiving a full refund. So I kicked of and ended up at the resolutions team who agreed as it was obviously a manufacturing fault that this doesn't fall into the customer they cannot please so refund them category.

When I got back to my contact who had dealt with the case I explained Microsoft wouldn't let me reuse my win10 pro upgrade key again so I wanted the business spec that came with windows 10 pro. He asked the model name so I clicked on the top of the range 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD and quoted that. Without question he put the order in.

This one arrived with a perfect panel, no dead pixels like the 1st 9550, no defects and a good gorilla glass touchscreen.

This of course was a huge sign of relief as I now have a 2 grand laptop for one I paid about £1300 quid for 18 months ago

But it shows what poor QC Dell really have as both times it took 4 laptops to get a good one. Lets see how long this one lasts!

Yes the softwares pants, the 1st thing I do is toss on my personal copy of windows without the Dell crap installed and using the latest build of windows with the latest drivers bypassing upgrade issues. I ended up uploading the ISO and it has been downloaded by quite a few people having issues with good results.
    Last edited by GoNz0; 09-05-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Anyone know how the XPS compares to the HP Spectre? The new Spectre that is, or are details on the new spectre still sparse with it not actually being released yet? Looking for a decent ultrabook to replace my old laptop.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-wo....207848.0.html

Sorry for the link to another site but feel free to copy and paste it to get the word out as enough uproar may see them spend the very few minutes to enable this in the BIOS using EFI-Shell, ironically the option is there but hidden.

Thread Information