Thread: Gigabyte P57W

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Gigabyte P57W

Gaming laptop or portable workstation? Gigabyte's 17.3in P57W is a bit of both.
    Read more.

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Re: Gigabyte P57W

A laptop that pairs it to a screen resolution it can handle, it's a miracle!
    There is such an over abundance of 4K screens with a 960, or 1080p screens with a 980, it did my nut right in

Thanks

A review of a gaming laptop without any actual game benchmarks..... how *useful* >_>

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

So they've fitted in a keyboard from a 15" laptop, as evidenced by the unnecessary cramming of the arrow keys displacing the Ctrl and 0 keys. That was tolerable on my previous 15" Gigabyte due to space constraints, and again on my current 15"er, but really, on a 17"?

The lack of high def displays on 17" laptops is the main reason I didn't go for a 17" 6 months ago, I would've had to shell out over £2k. It's frankly upsetting when I can get a phone with a 4k resolution but not a laptop with a 17" screen (smaller screen sizes have this option, bizarrely).

As for the 'can't game on 4k on a laptop comments', yes that's certainly true for most newer games, at least without knocking the quality down to levels where you'd be better off running at 1080p. But it should not be difficult to utilise perfect scaling down to 1080p for those times you're trying to play a demanding game with settings on max, leaving you with the increased screen real estate the rest of the time..

Thanks

Can we get a more useful battery life test? I appreciate that this gives you an idea of how the laptops compare against each other, but it's 2016 - who is playing 720p video from their storage with no wireless radios? A more useful test would be streaming 1080p video from YouTube, or Netflix. That would give potential buyers a good idea of what to expect when they're shelling out ££££, and they don't have to rely on marketing BS from the manufacturer or useless/unrealistic benchmarks from here.

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1 View Post
    A review of a gaming laptop without any actual game benchmarks..... how *useful* >_>
    Hi there, we do include gaming benchmarks as part of the review:

http://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2016...ac87ec0c72.png

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mapesdhs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock P55 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 870 @ 4270MHz (203.3 x 21)
      • Memory:
      • Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2) DDR3/2030
      • Storage:
      • 60GB OCZ Vertex2 + 1TB SATA (Spinpoint F3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX 460 1GB FTW SLI
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win7/U/64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" LP2475W
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbit

"however it's a shame Gigabyte continues to adorn its laptops with unwanted stickers."

Indeed, I had that with the MSI laptop I bought (GE72 Apache Pro), which has exactly the same spec for CPU, RAM and gfx (though I ordered it with a bluray rewriter and other warranty/calibration extras). The stickers meant using a simple wifi mouse on that area of the laptop is difficult (handy if one's on a train or something), so I covered them all up with black gaffer tape (several layers, tapered at the edges), which works well. Manufacturers really should provide these stickers as addon labels which the buyer can affix if they wish (I couldn't see anyway of removing the stickers on my MSI without making a mess), or just put them on the base.

My MSI was a similar cost (1450) and it has a better keyboard, though I did buy it with just a basic 500GB rust spinner (fitted my own 850 EVO 250GB once received, waiting on pricing to drop so I can fit a 512GB M.2 later), and it's a shame Gigabyte didn't use an EVO instead of the LiteOn. However, I do like the fact that Gigabyte bundles the system with an adapter so one can replace the DVDRW with another storage device, that's good.

It also looks like this P57W has quite a bit better battery life than my MSI, which is another plus, though I'm rarely in a situation where I have to rely on battery power for longer than two hours (and those are times I wouldn't normally be using it for gaming anyway).

S'funny, if the P75W had been available a few months ago, I might have chosen differently depending on pricing and whether there was a source for customised units.

Don't like the orange stripe though. Hmm, I wonder if they couldn't use red because MSI would complain...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mapesdhs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock P55 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win7/U/64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" LP2475W
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    As for the 'can't game on 4k on a laptop comments', yes that's certainly true for most newer games, at least without knocking the quality down to levels where you'd be better off running at 1080p. But it should not be difficult to utilise perfect scaling down to 1080p for those times you're trying to play a demanding game with settings on max, leaving you with the increased screen real estate the rest of the time..
    I'd hoped to get a 4K model, but indeed pricing (at least last Nov.) was out of my reach. However, laptop gfx isn't really good enough for 4K IMO. Remember, the 970M is roughly the same as a desktop GTX 580, ie. about half the speed of a desktop 970, give or take. I find the 970M perfect for playing the older games I like atm (Stalker, Oblivion IV, FC2, Crysis/2/Warhead, etc.) with very high settings, but I wouldn't want to try a newer title on high detail, biased as I am towards wanting high detail every time.

One thing I did notice last year: different manufacturers vary a lot in whether they sell their 970M designs with 3GB or 6GB. Mine has 3GB, but it doesn't suffer for that. Not sure whether 6GB would make any difference to a system that has the GPU power of a 580, but worth noting.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by mapesdhs View Post
    I'd hoped to get a 4K model, but indeed pricing (at least last Nov.) was out of my reach. However, laptop gfx isn't really good enough for 4K IMO. Remember, the 970M is roughly the same as a desktop GTX 580, ie. about half the speed of a desktop 970, give or take. I find the 970M perfect for playing the older games I like atm (Stalker, Oblivion IV, FC2, Crysis/2/Warhead, etc.) with very high settings, but I wouldn't want to try a newer title on high detail, biased as I am towards wanting high detail every time.

One thing I did notice last year: different manufacturers vary a lot in whether they sell their 970M designs with 3GB or 6GB. Mine has 3GB, but it doesn't suffer for that. Not sure whether 6GB would make any difference to a system that has the GPU power of a 580, but worth noting.
    This is what you need: http://www.metabox.com.au/store/b174...-P870DM-Laptop

Full fat desktop 6700k & full fat desktop 980 with 4k screen :-)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mapesdhs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock P55 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win7/U/64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" LP2475W
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    This is what you need: http://www.metabox.com.au/store/b174...-P870DM-Laptop

Full fat desktop 6700k & full fat desktop 980 with 4k screen :-)

Even with just a 970M, that product costs much more than the model I bought (over a third more expensive, way over my budget), and the one I chose contains an internal BDRW, and it came with cooling enhancements and pro screen callibration.

Having said that, I like the fact that the metabox's 970M has 6GB RAM, and I especially like that the product at least gives one the choice of better gfx options, with more space inside for extra drives too.

Registered+
    Thanks

Looks quite good, I really like the temp results for this laptop.

A 4k screen is only going to drop the battery life, while it is a nice feature it is not a necessity.

I agree with CustardInc on the battery life test, I can't think of a time I have turned the Wi-Fi off on my laptop.

Thanks

For any new and current gamers the Gigabyte will a fantastic addition,I am comfortable and would love to own one...just me

Thread Information