Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon RX 480 (14nm Polaris)

Thanks

Re: AMD Radeon RX 480 (14nm Polaris)

Quote Originally Posted by ricksavoie View Post
    Yes, right now I would buy the 8GB RX 480 and OC it. I think you'll hit 970 speeds easy. Don't forget, there is also lots more room for driver performance enhancements with the newer card too. Secondly, Nvidia will be putting all their driver development time on the new 1000 series.
    Given there's now an alternative I'd personally avoid the 970 like the plague, even if it's a few quid cheaper. Nvidia's last few generations of cards have been notorious for falling behind when referencing Nvidia's new cards and AMD's cards. Combined with the FUBAR memory controller on the 970, which is currently being worked around largely by constant driver patches - I wonder if they'll keep that up now the 1000 series is out?

Quote Originally Posted by jag272 View Post
    Well thats..... disappointing. Equivalent or even weaker in some cases than the 390, and a fair way off the 970 which can now be had for pretty much the same price. Guess we wait for the 490.
    Fair way off the 970? O_o
    There's the odd game where it strangely lags but it's mostly ahead, often by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by pvtbanner View Post
    The price is massively disappointing to me.
    8gb 480 $229 which according to xe.com equates to £169 at the current lower exchange rate (which seems to be slowly going back up)

Not sure on the import duty rate though.
    As scaryjim said, add VAT and it's actually priced quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    I find it a bit off putting with it not having a DVI connector on there so if I upgraded to this card I would need to buy a new screen or get a HDMI to DVI connector or Displayport to DVI adapter, I do run a long HDMI out to my TV so would have to look at the displayport adapter.
    Are you running really high res? If not, why not just use a HDMI>DVI passive adapter? HDMI is basically just single-link DVI electrically.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    That's why it's always fun throwing in a comparative card like that But then look at the number of transistors - the 480 is double the number of the 7870, so lots of opportunities to consume power. What the node process shows is you can cram that many into a similar die size, albeit with a higher power draw.
    Yeah, power per area has been increasing for a while - even if power/transistor drops, it's going up against transistors/area which more than cancels it out with recent nodes. Comparing with CPUs is a little misleading as they have a big GPU taking up a lot of the space but often sitting idle in benchmarks - Intel's CPU cores are IIRC below 10mm2 each now and yet power is roughly the same as when they were many times that size. With GPUs, most of the silicon is actively used in tasks so that power scaling isn't hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post
    A quality Asus or Sapphire cooler ought to keep temps in check and allow the RX 480 GPU to hit its frequency stride more often.

We're down for getting one of the very first Sapphire own-designed cards in the next few days; its review scores will make for an interesting comparison.
    You'd think AMD would, one day, learn not to give a worst-case impression on release day reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Boon72 View Post
    I was looking to get one of these to replace my old HD6590 but Scan only have the 8GB versions which are a little to rich for my liking, so i guess i'll hang on as long as i can (burning hole in pocket syndrome ) to see what happens with the non ref boards.
    Check overclockers - they have the 4GB version for <£180 last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    But it clearly isn't a performance card.
    This. As far as I can tell it's intended to replace the 380/X and does a pretty stellar job of that, and it's pretty much where I expected in terms of performance (once you ignore the outlying results from rumour sites). Efficiency isn't where I'd hoped but it's a big improvement over the cards it replaces, and we should wait and see what partner cards are like - I don't expect much difference but better quality VRMs and a better cooler might improve things a bit.

2. Received thanks from:

Platinum (30-06-2016)

Thanks

It looks a very solid replacement for the R9 380. I'm toying with picking up a 4GB version at £175 along with a 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 FreeSync monitor.

Thanks

I am shocked the 8gb version is no better than a 970, I would of thought it would have better 1440p performance only 3 fps better than a 4gb 970?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lon3wolf2002 View Post
    I am shocked the 8gb version is no better than a 970, I would of thought it would have better 1440p performance only 3 fps better than a 4gb 970?
    GPU performance involves far more than the amount of VRAM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Apparently OcUK sold 700 cards on launch day and I think a fair number were the 4GB model too!! That is like 70% of the number of GTX1080 cards they sold since launch AFAIK!!

It seems AMD stopped making the 4GB model and the price has gone up a few more quid sadly:

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo
    In short margin was pretty tight, but I was happy with making very little margin on the 4GB part as I could simply order more.

I raised a PO for a further 1000 units and it was rejected, AMD stating no more 4GB parts shall be built, so make what you have last or take offline and use for systems.

So this is the reason. I am going to AMD HQ in Munich tomorrow to discuss this because it seems like an error to not produce any more of this part when its success is huge. Makes no sense!

But that is the reason for the increase.
    If only AMD had a better cooler on the reference 8GB card and an 8 pin power connector,they would have had a much better launch!! They have not learned from the R9 290X and that is more worrying that the card itself!!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 29-06-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks
    • [DW]Cougho's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3 1900 FLCK
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group DDR4 @ 3800 C16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 870 EVO NVME & 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 1

Underwhelming, again. The EOL 290x I bought for £228 a year ago is looking better and better value for money as time goes on, it was only meant to be a stopgap too.

Polaris was just 16nm Maxwell in my eyes and this is almost a 16nm Tonga. I know this is only a midrange card at best so it's performance was never going to be earth shattering but it's only just beating a 2 year old 28nm GPU (and I was not impressed with that at the time).

Have the days of the 9700pro and 8800GTX-type launches gone? The ones where you instantly feel your existing system age and die as you read the reviews.

*wanders off muttering to himself about the good-old days* (I'm getting old)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by [DW]Cougho View Post
    Underwhelming, again. The EOL 290x I bought for £228 a year ago is looking better and better value for money as time goes on, it was only meant to be a stopgap too.

Polaris was just 16nm Maxwell in my eyes and this is almost a 16nm Tonga. I know this is only a midrange card at best so it's performance was never going to be earth shattering but it's only just beating a 2 year old 28nm GPU (and I was not impressed with that at the time).

Have the days of the 9700pro and 8800GTX-type launches gone? The ones where you instantly feel your existing system age and die as you read the reviews.

*wanders off muttering to himself about the good-old days* (I'm getting old)
    I think after the HD5000 series generation,it all started going entirely wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    This is also an issue with my Qnix, which only has a single DL-DVI connector, one of the reasons it overclocks so well. I'd need to add an active DP-DVI adaptor to the overall cost which makes it uncompetitive at the moment...
    Hey Pleiades I was just looking at the card to see if I could keep the memory/VRM plate and fit a core only water block and noticed the PCB has DVI. I'm pretty sure the non reference cards will offer DL-DVI.

10. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (29-06-2016)

Thanks

The wrecked currency markets well and truly scuppered this...

12. Received thanks from:

Platinum (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    • [DW]Cougho's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 1

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I think after the HD5000 series generation,it all started going entirely wrong.
    You're probably spot on there CAT, the 5870 was nice (helped by it's pricing, I had one) but after then I can't recall anything that's wowed me.

Most recently I was impressed with the Titan X performance but it was LOL priced and in my eyes was a bit of cheater, having stripped out all it's compute performance to survive on 28nm.

CPU's are the same too, last time I was impressed was with Sandybridge which I still hang on to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    GPU performance involves far more than the amount of VRAM.
    True but more RAM should help at higher resolutions especially on a newer card, maybe updated drivers will help performance I am just underwhelmed after the 2 480's match a 1080 claim.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by [DW]Cougho View Post
    You're probably spot on there CAT, the 5870 was nice (helped by it's pricing, I had one) but after then I can't recall anything that's wowed me.

Most recently I was impressed with the Titan X performance but it was LOL priced and in my eyes was a bit of cheater, having stripped out all it's compute performance to survive on 28nm.

CPU's are the same too, last time I was impressed was with Sandybridge which I still hang on to.
    I think the weak pound has bumped up prices by around 10% which has not helped AMD,but I thought by now they had learned about the "hot and throttling" moniker from the R9 290 series launch. Seriously they should have launched it with an 8 pin power connector and a better cooler. Apparently,they didn't so not to step on the toes of AIB partners,but it means the card looks worse than it might have done(although not sure what is going on with GF 14NM too) and first impressions count.

Edit!!

I hope AIB partner designs are not overpriced. AMD has the impending GTX1060 to thing off and Nvidia has a stronger following too.

Thanks
    • [DW]Cougho's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 1

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I think the weak pound has bumped up prices by around 10% which has not helped AMD,but I thought by now they had learned about the "hot and throttling" moniker from the R9 290 series launch. Seriously they should have launched it with an 8 pin power connector and a better cooler. Apparently,they didn't so not to step on the toes of AIB partners,but it means the card looks worse than it might have done(although not sure what is going on with GF 14NM too) and first impressions count.

Edit!!

I hope AIB partner designs are not overpriced. AMD has the impending GTX1060 to thing off and Nvidia has a stronger following too.
    I hope business studies students use AMD as an example of how not to do product launches. The last 5 years+ have been a comedy of errors.

I'm less-than optimistic for Zen too, AMD will find a way to mess that launch I'm sure and then as you say there is the basket case that is GF involved.

Still, there's always Vega

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Strange about the temperature and throttling issue, prior to release reports were pointing towards it as cool and a good overclocker.

So a 8GB card for 1440p, with the 4GB card be better suited just for 1080p then?

Looking forward to 4GB and crossfire reviews to see what can be done for less and 1080 money!
    These days, 8GB would be a safe bet even at 1080p, Its just like when 2GB or 3GB seemed like too much VRAM back in the old days and now, 2 GB and 3GB are not enough. Better to have more than less.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lon3wolf2002 View Post
    True but more RAM should help at higher resolutions especially on a newer card, maybe updated drivers will help performance I am just underwhelmed after the 2 480's match a 1080 claim.
    Not necessarily, if the game is only actively using say 2/3GB then throwing all the VRAM in the world at the problem isn't going to make a shred of difference. Lots of games will happily fill up all the VRAM you give them with a sort of cache, but they won't generally suffer a great deal without the extra.

Comparing the 290X to the 390X (basically just differ in amount of VRAM), even at 4k the 4GB shows no signs of struggling. http://techreport.com/r.x/vram/mordor-390x-furyx.gif

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

I'm personally disappointed. I mean it's good but not good enough. Nvidia was hyped but delivered very good performance IMO whereas AMD was equally hyped but just delivered "good" performance to roughly match the GTX970 but nothing more...

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread Information