Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 15

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Dell XPS 15

Is this the ultimate 15.6in Windows laptop?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Dell XPS 15

A guy at work has the 4k version and although it cost him an absolute fortune I must admit the screen coupled with the almost non existent bezel looks amazing.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

I'm impressed with them.
    Our work standard kit will either get you an XPS 13, 15 or Precision 5510 (XPS 15 with Xenon and Quadro options) depending on job role.

We've decided on the non-touch options, even so great machines.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I'm impressed with them.
    Our work standard kit will either get you an XPS 13, 15 or Precision 5510 (XPS 15 with Xenon and Quadro options) depending on job role.
    We wanted to, but Dell were trying to rip us off so we use other makes now.

Registered+
    Thanks

Are you able to create a full list of all comparative benchmarks? Eg this review compares 6 models but I'd like to be able to see a FULL list of benchmarks for all reviews so I can compare say this XPS15 against a 4790K or 6700K. I understand the charts are comparing similar products but please also show ALL data on a link or specific area on your site.

Thanks

Two USB port is far too few especially if you are going to drop the optical drive. I have an older XPS 15 (L502x) which comes with three USB ports AND a BD drive. One USB port is permanently occupied (and stuck) by my wireless USB mouse receiver. So on the new XPS 15, I'd only have one USB port which is not enough to, say move data from a USB drive/stick to another, or attach and use an optical drive at the same time as having an external drive attached etc. Far too limiting especially on a 15.6" laptop.

Once again, the review doesn't really make any note on how easy it is to clean those vents. Well, I can say that my older XPS 15 would need you to disassemble most of the machine (including removing the screen, optical drive and a whole bunch of other pieces) if you really wanted to a blast of air on the fans. You can try a hack job by blasting through the vents/exhausts but it is hard to get the dust *out* that way, and after "band-aids" my machine can only run at 85% of maximum frequency when the GPU is working hard, and this can easily drop down to 40% or less when the vents get clogged again.

I'd say that my laptop could maintain a pristine performance for about 2 years before the first sign of degradation from heat starts to appear. Food for thought for anyone thinking of spending £1,649 to get the same as the review unit. And I will once again suggest that ease of maintenance be at least mentioned in laptop reviews. It could be as simple as "Those who want easy access to the fans for routine maintenance will be out of luck" (which I am not saying is the case with this unit - I do not know).

Thanks

I've spent many hours looking at the XPS13 and 15 over the past months. Ones small, light, but low on grunt. The other much bigger, bulkier, but actually has the power to play games and everythng else I need.

To be fair I've found it so hard to choose I've decided just to leave it for now and carry on usng the iPad mini.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

You need to cut your grass

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    We've decided on the non-touch options, even so great machines.
    I'm not really sure who the QHD Touch screens are aimed at, except the people who have to have what is perceived to be the best of everything. The ones that drive AMG Merc's to do the School run and go to Tesco's at the end of the road.

QHD has to use Windows scaling to make text legible, which is notoriously flaky. Games cannot run at QHD because the 960M can't keep up.

Touch Screen. I can't think of anything worse. Dirty, smudges from greasy fingers all over & constant cleaning. And it's just easier to press TAB, use a mouse or use the trackpad.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy14 View Post
    I'm not really sure who the QHD Touch screens are aimed at, except the people who have to have what is perceived to be the best of everything. The ones that drive AMG Merc's to do the School run and go to Tesco's at the end of the road.

QHD has to use Windows scaling to make text legible, which is notoriously flaky. Games cannot run at QHD because the 960M can't keep up.

Touch Screen. I can't think of anything worse. Dirty, smudges from greasy fingers all over & constant cleaning. And it's just easier to press TAB, use a mouse or use the trackpad.
    Oh I'm not a fan, just read back what I wrote. Really can't see the point on a pure Ultrabook/laptop. The higher res would be nice, but no complaints with the panels in the units we've got.

Registered+
    Thanks

This is cool design! GTX960M should make the casual gamers happy.

pri
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy14 View Post
    I've spent many hours looking at the XPS13 and 15 over the past months. Ones small, light, but low on grunt. The other much bigger, bulkier, but actually has the power to play games and everythng else I need.

To be fair I've found it so hard to choose I've decided just to leave it for now and carry on usng the iPad mini.
    I've had the XPS12 for awhile now and absolutely love it and have been thinking about upgrading to XPS15 but have been holding back as it would be much bulkier to carry around

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

I have the 4k 32gb ram 1tb Toshiba SSD model, 3 months in now & very happy. Gave it a repaste to keep the heat in check, it gets very little dust and a good vacuum is enough to clear the vents.
    The screen is very good for a laptop.
    2400mb/s read and 1500mb/s write on this one.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

pri
    Thanks

I've had the XPS12 for awhile now and it's absolutely graet, have thought about upgrading to the XPS15 but have been putting it off as it would be heavier/bulkier to use during the commute.

Registered+
    Thanks

They kept the same camera placement as the new XPS 13? Laptops are communication devices and having such weird camera placement is pretty stupid.

Thanks
    • rhx123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-3470
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SFF 450W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT03-Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • TVera 2560x1440 S-IPS

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Two USB port is far too few especially if you are going to drop the optical drive. I have an older XPS 15 (L502x) which comes with three USB ports AND a BD drive. One USB port is permanently occupied (and stuck) by my wireless USB mouse receiver. So on the new XPS 15, I'd only have one USB port which is not enough to, say move data from a USB drive/stick to another, or attach and use an optical drive at the same time as having an external drive attached etc. Far too limiting especially on a 15.6" laptop.

Once again, the review doesn't really make any note on how easy it is to clean those vents. Well, I can say that my older XPS 15 would need you to disassemble most of the machine (including removing the screen, optical drive and a whole bunch of other pieces) if you really wanted to a blast of air on the fans. You can try a hack job by blasting through the vents/exhausts but it is hard to get the dust *out* that way, and after "band-aids" my machine can only run at 85% of maximum frequency when the GPU is working hard, and this can easily drop down to 40% or less when the vents get clogged again.

I'd say that my laptop could maintain a pristine performance for about 2 years before the first sign of degradation from heat starts to appear. Food for thought for anyone thinking of spending £1,649 to get the same as the review unit. And I will once again suggest that ease of maintenance be at least mentioned in laptop reviews. It could be as simple as "Those who want easy access to the fans for routine maintenance will be out of luck" (which I am not saying is the case with this unit - I do not know).
    According to the service manual, to remove the heatsink and fans all you need to do is remove the back cover, then you will be able to immediately remove the heat sink assembly with 6 screws.

As for the USB situation, it isn't ideal, but at least there is the Type-C port too. I use a bluetooth mouse on the go (MX Master), and a USB Hub anyway when at my desk for fast docking. Native Type-C hubs with video output are even getting fairly cheap.
    I can however see if you frequently use an ODD, then how it could be a problem.

A far cry away from my trusty Precision M6300 with 6 USB2 ports, expresscard, VGA and DVI.

Thread Information