HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra Gaming and Black Gaming

Which is the better bet? We find out.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra Gaming and Black Gaming

Almost £500 to slightly better a 1080 that was released in may 2016.. Er NO.

This might be "better" technology on paper than a 1080 but for 2 and a half years work call me underwhelmed. In fact call me underwhelmed on all of these RTX products apart from the 2080TI which is really the first card possible to play 4k games at decent frame rates. Note please I am talking performance not pricepoint which I find akin to daylight robbery.

RTX overall offers ray tracing and other goodies but why are people getting sucked in, even optimised these technologies hamstring the cards ability to function at any decent frame rate over 1080p resolution. At best the 2080ti £1000 card will eventually enable you to play at 1440p with ray tracing - wooopy doo.

Looking forward Navi AMD's next offering GPU wise might be a sensible price point <<applaud>> but it's mid range. If Raja K can do something at Intel, great, bring on more competition. I just feel like many others still with their money in their pocket I want to upgrade but can't support stupid prices or drip fed limited advances in tech due to a lack of competition.

Thanks
    • Bagpuss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9-9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3400
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 512GB NVMe SSD, Crucial 1Tb NVMe SSD, 6Tb Seagate 7200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Black Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850 RMx 850 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify C Copper Front Panel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG UK850 27in 4K HDR Freesync/Gsync
      • Internet:
      • Three Mobile 4G Unlimited Data (35-45Mbit)

Go die, EVGA.

Money grabbing @#X#!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Go die, EVGA.

Money grabbing @#X#!
    Interesting that you're targeting your ire at EVGA. For one, at least they're offering a 'base' model around the suggested RRP that isn't a waste of time. It's Nvidia you need to direct your anger toward. They are throroughly abusing their market position and they have lot of these board partners by the balls because, like us, they have little alternatives. The margins on these cards are tighter than a nun's snatch so they're having to work hard to turn a profit. Most of the money is going to Nvidia, not EVGA but be glad that EVGA and other partners exist because if they didn't you can bet the only models you could get would be Nvidia's own, more expensive FE ones and you REALLY don't want that.

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by syristix View Post
    Almost £500 to slightly better a 1080 that was released in may 2016.. Er NO.

This might be "better" technology on paper than a 1080 but for 2 and a half years work call me underwhelmed. In fact call me underwhelmed on all of these RTX products apart from the 2080TI which is really the first card possible to play 4k games at decent frame rates. Note please I am talking performance not pricepoint which I find akin to daylight robbery.

RTX overall offers ray tracing and other goodies but why are people getting sucked in, even optimised these technologies hamstring the cards ability to function at any decent frame rate over 1080p resolution. At best the 2080ti £1000 card will eventually enable you to play at 1440p with ray tracing - wooopy doo.

Looking forward Navi AMD's next offering GPU wise might be a sensible price point <<applaud>> but it's mid range. If Raja K can do something at Intel, great, bring on more competition. I just feel like many others still with their money in their pocket I want to upgrade but can't support stupid prices or drip fed limited advances in tech due to a lack of competition.
    This is the big point though isn't it. All these tech sites, not just Hexus, are focusing on the wrong thing. Technology advances should give an increase in performance for a fair increase in cost. The RTX cards simply don't do that.

Same goes for the 9900K, I've seen weird arguments being made to explain how the price is OK. It's only expensive when you measure vs the old one! But if you break it down to how much it costs per core, then it's a bargain! But then they go on to make that measurement against older tech. Why have we suddenly stopped expecting an improving curve at a similar price point ? Now it's all "you want the improvement, better pay more!"

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Why have we suddenly stopped expecting an improving curve at a similar price point ? Now it's all "you want the improvement, better pay more!"
    On the CPU front, I'm not sure. But for GPUs, I assumed that the bitcoin fad had everything to do with it.

Usually, GPUs had to outperform at the same price point by a fair margin every new generation to give people a reason to buy, no? But what happens if the market stops being so saturated (miners swallow up every reasonably priced card for an extended period of time) and there's only one supplier waiting at the end of the fad with a set of new products (RTX series)? You have a market which *will* want to buy, nobody to compete with, and you don't even need to discontinue your old line because it serves lower end gamers just fine now that you can keep it in stock and compare it upwards with your new RTX cards to enforce a belief of "value". I mean, even for Nvidia, bashing Vega must be a bit of a dead horse thing by now...

Thanks

I don't get the hype, you are going to pay too much for a new generation card... when previous generation of eg. 1080ti beats it?

Looking at all these charts it seem too litle gain vs what you pay for as it is... jump 2 generations instead of one before getting anything of worth is what it look like, so if stuck on GF970 or 980 or older, definately go for the new GFX, otherwise don't bother I guess.

Either way if I get min 5FPS additional out if would not be able to see the difference for real as it is.

Thanks

I must be an outlier then as the RTX 2070 seems to make more sense than the RTX 2080, at least in the £500 range it does, you're getting 1080 like performance for the same price but with RTX thrown in if it ever becomes a thing.

Obviously that goes out the window if you increase the price by £50+ but given the choice between a last gen 1080 for £500 or a 2070 at the same price i know what one I'd choose.

Thanks
    • gordon861's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX2070
      • Operating System:
      • Win7-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Benq 2760

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I must be an outlier then as the RTX 2070 seems to make more sense than the RTX 2080, at least in the £500 range it does, you're getting 1080 like performance for the same price but with RTX thrown in if it ever becomes a thing.

Obviously that goes out the window if you increase the price by £50+ but given the choice between a last gen 1080 for £500 or a 2070 at the same price i know what one I'd choose.
    This pretty much sums up my view at the moment. I'm currently running a 980 and have been considering an upgrade for the last six months or so.

If I had to upgrade now I'd have a choice of two cards for £500, the 1080 or the 2070. So do I buy the 2 year old 1080 that is a known quantity, or do I buy the brand new 2070 which performs as good as the 1080 but also has extra features that newer games are likely to use (because Nvidia will 'encourage' them)? I think I would pretty stupid to go for the 1080 in that situation.

As I have posted previously though, if the 1080 was cheaper than the 2070 by a significant margin then the decision becomes less clear. If the 1080 was reduced to £450 I would probably still go with the £500 2070, at £400 the decision becomes less clear cut, but at £350 I would snap up the 1080 (as would most people I expect). But Nvidia cannot lower the price that far because it'll damage the lower end market too much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Syphadeus View Post
    Interesting that you're targeting your ire at EVGA. For one, at least they're offering a 'base' model around the suggested RRP that isn't a waste of time. It's Nvidia you need to direct your anger toward. They are throroughly abusing their market position and they have lot of these board partners by the balls because, like us, they have little alternatives. The margins on these cards are tighter than a nun's snatch so they're having to work hard to turn a profit. Most of the money is going to Nvidia, not EVGA but be glad that EVGA and other partners exist because if they didn't you can bet the only models you could get would be Nvidia's own, more expensive FE ones and you REALLY don't want that.
    Yeah, that 60+% gross margin on $3,123 million is really tight!

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

I originally was going to accept as valid the defence of Nvidia's strategy as adding a new tier of R&D materialising as a higher tier of performance and commanding a higher price. This would effectively mean the 2080Ti was a new tier but stupidly named. Then they put this out at the same price as I paid for the absolute top of the range a few years back. And the performance is JUST better than my Vega 64 (which was cheaper) and frankly at the resolutions I play at, I'd expect a 1070Ti to match it.

And as for ray tracing, if the 1080Ti is struggling to churn out playable frame rates at 1080P, what chance has this got?

This is pathetic, it really is and it's not EVGA's fault, they've recognised the situation for what it is and realised that in order to compete they need a base level card. It's Nvidia who are causing this problem and frankly we can only hope AMD have something decent and reasonably priced in the works. Given the performance increase on these cards, I doubt AMD will need to perform miracles to top them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    It's Nvidia who are causing this problem and frankly we can only hope AMD have something decent and reasonably priced in the works. Given the performance increase on these cards, I doubt AMD will need to perform miracles to top them.
    Indeed. To be honest, I've been clinging onto my 970 for a while. It looks like I will be holding onto it until AMD come along with Navi. This might be the first AMD card I get since I had an original Radeon!
    Really don't care even if they're on par with the 10*0 cards, as long as the keep with the original pricing brackets. People really might as well just get a ps4 pro otherwise.

Registered+
    Thanks

Interesting some are still split on this - I still cannot agree with current pricepoints on this or any other RTX purely down to performance the same as current cards with a view that new features which will become available can actually slow this performance down.

Quick spanner in the Works for those thinking of upgrading what about a 1080ti for £499.... I almost pulled the trigger earlier:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-windforce-8192mb-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1a4-gi.html

Registered+
    Thanks

[QUOTE=syristix;1255253]Interesting some are still split on this - I still cannot agree with current pricepoints on this or any other RTX purely down to performance the same as current cards with a view that new features which will become available can actually slow this performance down.

Sorry meant £599:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080ti-gaming-oc-black-11264mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-19h-gi.html

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by overpowerlol View Post
    Indeed. To be honest, I've been clinging onto my 970 for a while. It looks like I will be holding onto it until AMD come along with Navi. This might be the first AMD card I get since I had an original Radeon!
    Really don't care even if they're on par with the 10*0 cards, as long as the keep with the original pricing brackets. People really might as well just get a ps4 pro otherwise.
    Just beware the drivers ARE still an issue. I have had 3 driver related issues in short succession (6 weeks?) when with 4 or so years I had zero driver issues with Nvidia. I think it has all settled down recently but it is still a weakness worth bearing in mind.

Thanks

I'm very disappointed with Nvidia, I thought these new cards would handle 4k 120+ fps on most games....

i have a 970 so it will be a very good upgrade for me, but if u have 1080/ti u dont have to upgrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information