• OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

Re: MSI MEG X399 Creation

There are, wait for it, a whopping 19 power phases on this E-ATX board - 16 for the CPU and three for the SOC. And these aren't the cheap and cheerful kind. A closer examination reveals the MEG uses 16 Infineon (TDA21472) power stages run via an Infineon 8-channel (doubled, 8+0) IR35201 PWM controller.
    I'm sure that "16 Infineon (TDA21472) power stages" are impressive, especially when "run via an Infineon 8-channel (doubled, 8+0) IR35201 PWM controller". The thing is, although I've learned a heck of a lot about components over the years, I've yet to read even the first thing about power phases, what they are, what makes one configuration better than another, why I should care, let alone why TDA21472 or IR35201 (doubled, 8+0, no less) would mean anything to anyone.

(This comment is not particular to the MSI MEG X399, except in as far as it uses it as an example)

Old Geezer
    Thanks

Why run the game tests at only 1080p? I can't imagine this being relevant to anyone using such high-end kit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devBunny View Post
    There are, wait for it, a whopping 19 power phases on this E-ATX board - 16 for the CPU and three for the SOC. And these aren't the cheap and cheerful kind. A closer examination reveals the MEG uses 16 Infineon (TDA21472) power stages run via an Infineon 8-channel (doubled, 8+0) IR35201 PWM controller.
    I'm sure that "16 Infineon (TDA21472) power stages" are impressive, especially when "run via an Infineon 8-channel (doubled, 8+0) IR35201 PWM controller". The thing is, although I've learned a heck of a lot about components over the years, I've yet to read even the first thing about power phases, what they are, what makes one configuration better than another, why I should care, let alone why TDA21472 or IR35201 (doubled, 8+0, no less) would mean anything to anyone.

(This comment is not particular to the MSI MEG X399, except in as far as it uses it as an example)
    Perhaps an opportunity for Hexus to put up a primer on the more advanced technical jargon common these days?

@devBunny - like pistons in an engine, more phases = smoother power; this reduces the excess CPU voltage (and thus power usage) needed to ensure stability - or alternatively you can clock higher for a given voltage. Dividing the power across more phases improves efficiency by cutting down current peaks. Also with more phases at its disposal the PWM controller can operate the power components more often in their most efficient load ranges.

PWM controllers with lots of phases are pricey so phase doublers can be used, but as these are still not cheap some boards even forego using doublers and just double the rest of the power components instead. Outwardly these look like more phases, but as they operate simultaneously there's no improvement to current peaks, CPU voltage or load range, leaving only a minor improvement to efficiency and operating temperature.

Edit to add: the quality of VRMs on motherboards is more important than in the past because modern CPUs are simultaneously more efficient and power hungry. At idle they draw very little power, but having the power of many cores & threads means that full load they demand much more; catering to such a huge range efficiently requires more sophisticated power circuitry than in the past.

TLDR: more phases = less power wasted, better CPU stability/higher overclocks
    Last edited by chinf; 06-09-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiansam View Post
    Why run the game tests at only 1080p? I can't imagine this being relevant to anyone using such high-end kit.
    Games are GPU reliant. Increasing the resolution won't be testing anything on the board

Thanks
    • devBunny's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7-3930
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x GTX 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

Thumbs up Re: Power phases

Quote Originally Posted by chinf View Post
    Perhaps an opportunity for Hexus to put up a primer on the more advanced technical jargon common these days?
    Yes, indeed.

Thanks for your primer on power. :-)

Thread Information