• Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Re: AMD Radeon VII

Loud, hot, and power thirsty might as well be the AMD GPU slogan at this point. I don't get why anyone would pick this over a 2080 or a 1080Ti

3. Received thanks from:

Spud1 (07-02-2019)

Thanks

Hexus should give us a V2 productivity benchmark against the 2080. Blender/Solidworks... etc kind of good stuff.

5. Received thanks from:

eden188 (08-02-2019),Tunnah (07-02-2019)

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Loud, hot, and power thirsty might as well be the AMD GPU slogan at this point. I don't get why anyone would pick this over a 2080 or a 1080Ti
    To try and ensure Nvidia don't own the graphics card market? I deliberately chose an rx480 vs a 1060 for this very reason (and on the suspicion it would age better as AMD card usually do). Gaming on a PC is already stupidly expensive and nvidia having a free hand is something I'd pay to prevent.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

7. Received thanks from:

eden188 (08-02-2019),Tunnah (07-02-2019)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

1080Ti is an old, old design and will be very much second fiddle in the driver's development stakes going forwards especially as RTX, etc needs so much work doing on the software side. It's just too old and whilst you might make an argument for some compute tasks which need all that VRAM, you'd be silly to ignore the Radeon VII for that. Why? Aside from 16GB HBM, just look at the FP64 throughput. Combined with Nvidia's driver T&Cs potentially making commercial use of consumer products a problem (depending on the implementation) and you have a good argument to go red here. That said, if you're looking at datacentre level use where power hunger and the T&C I'm thinking of are coming into play, you're probably looking at professional cards anyway.

Why over a 2080? Good question and it's going to probably come down to pricing in the end. Nvidia will probably end up putting too much value on RTX, etc whereas us consumers don't really care right now. As a result, Nvidia might be more reluctant to drop their prices (indeed, they've already dropped a bit since launch and all that early-adopter gutting) whereas AMD might be willing to drop their prices a little further, especially as they're mirroring their pro series cards and therefore can benefit from economies of scale to some degree (although given relative market share this is probably just an essential if they want to compete at all rather than an advantage).

There's also the "up yours" to Nvidia and their recent business practices that led me to buy a Vega64. I got it reasonably cheap (£440, went up to ~£600 for the same model soon afterwards and my total cost to change was ~£300) given the market and frankly, I've seen nothing from either side in this latest round of releases that have made me regret my purchase. The ONLY issue I have with this card is the noise. But it rarely matters when playing games as I've either got the volume up on speakers or headphones on. Is the fan curve too aggressive? Almost certainly but it keeps it running cooler and as you say, these things run hot so reducing the degree of thermal shock would always be sensible if you want the card to last. I can imagine this noise would be a big problem for some people but I tend to be able to tune it out.

9. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (07-02-2019)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Indeed, the reviews have come out exactly as expected...well may not quite exactly - I really didn't expect these to be loud as well given the cooler, but hey ho. I would replace the word "anyone" with "most gamers" however, as there are some edge cases where you are better off with one of these (if you exclusively play Vulkan optimised games for example, or have a real need for 16gb of memory on your graphics card, or have an irrational hatred of Nvidia )

If they had released these at even just £50 cheaper....it would be a different story. They didn't though and instead have gone toe to toe with Nvidia's Non FE pricing.

11. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (07-02-2019)

Thanks

Do we know if ODM's are going to be allowed to design their own coolers, didn't AMD put some sort of restriction on 56/64 coolers and/or delayed their release? I only ask as apparently the AMD cooler is awful.

Also I'm surprised there's been no mention of the apparent awful state of the drivers/software that mean overclocking is completely broken at this stage.

13. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (07-02-2019)

Supermarket Generic Brand AETAaAS's Avatar
    Thanks
    • AETAaAS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Vengeance 3000
      • Storage:
      • Intel 660p 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI SC2
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP Envy 32
      • Internet:
      • 17mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Do we know if ODM's are going to be allowed to design their own coolers, didn't AMD put some sort of restriction on 56/64 coolers and/or delayed their release? I only ask as apparently the AMD cooler is awful.

Also I'm surprised there's been no mention of the apparent awful state of the drivers/software that mean overclocking is completely broken at this stage.
    Steve from Hardware Unboxed has said AMD told him they have not restricted board partners from making their own.
    https://youtu.be/6jP3tetYnVI?t=1000

I'll be interested to see in the coming days if software maturation and perhaps undervolting will help this card as much as it did the 56 and 64. Looks like again, AMD have cranked things pretty hard out of the gate at the expense of power and noise.

15. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (07-02-2019)

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Indeed, the reviews have come out exactly as expected...well may not quite exactly - I really didn't expect these to be loud as well given the cooler, but hey ho. I would replace the word "anyone" with "most gamers" however, as there are some edge cases where you are better off with one of these (if you exclusively play Vulkan optimised games for example, or have a real need for 16gb of memory on your graphics card, or have an irrational hatred of Nvidia )

If they had released these at even just £50 cheaper....it would be a different story. They didn't though and instead have gone toe to toe with Nvidia's Non FE pricing.
    Oddly the one thing I took away from this review is just how good the Palit GeForce RTX 2070 DUAL is, which is nearly £200 cheaper and has only marginal differences (aside from noise and power usage) in a lot of benchmarks, only really losing out at 4K (even then it's performing well considering its pricing).

Radeon VII as currently priced isn't worth it in my opinion, the Vega 64 is ~25% slower but ~40% cheaper. Seems like poor value.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Oddly the one thing I took away from this review is just how good the Palit GeForce RTX 2070 DUAL is, which is nearly £200 cheaper and has only marginal differences (aside from noise and power usage) in a lot of benchmarks, only really losing out at 4K (even then it's performing well considering its pricing).

Radeon VII as currently priced isn't worth it in my opinion, the Vega 64 is ~25% slower but ~40% cheaper. Seems like poor value.
    Depends on the stage of product lifecycle. Linear price/pef relationship happens with mature products. A mostly linear relationship (excluding top end cards) only emerges quite some time into the lifecycle. Also, you're making a comparison across generations.

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

anyone else noticed recent reviews : will cost 2 kidneys to own, doesnt perfom as well as others but looks ugly .......... MUST BUY!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post

The market seems to be just wrong atm. Companies are supposed to be trying to upsell stuff, but I find myself looking in the downsell direction. Yes, the RTX2070 DUAL is pretty quick, but compare the 2060 and that thing is right on the heels of the 2070. The 2060 is where it needs to be, they made the 2070 too slow which is odd as I don't usually expect Nvidia to get their artificial market segmentation wrong.

It surprises me how little the 2060 is impacted by removing a quarter of its memory channels.

The Ace
    Thanks

Have anyone else noticed they code-named it VII which may stand for VegaII and AMD doesn't know what to call their card so they went with a seven.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abychristy View Post
    Have anyone else noticed they code-named it VII which may stand for VegaII and AMD doesn't know what to call their card so they went with a seven.
    It is because it is really stop gap product. There will not be successor.Just to have something until they come up with their true next gen.
    The more you live, less you die. More you play, more you die. Isn't it great.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • tweake628's system
      • CPU:
      • I7 7700HQ
      • Memory:
      • DDR4 2400 16 GIGS
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD RX580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 230 WATT
      • Case:
      • 17 INCH OMEN LAPTOP
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17 inch 1080

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    To try and ensure Nvidia don't own the graphics card market? I deliberately chose an rx480 vs a 1060 for this very reason (and on the suspicion it would age better as AMD card usually do). Gaming on a PC is already stupidly expensive and nvidia having a free hand is something I'd pay to prevent.
    couldnt have sead it better !!! i picked a rx580 in my laptop over a 1060 and glad i did little time later eneded up being faster

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

Except that this AMD card outperforms the 2080 when it comes to some productivity software such as photo and video processing. Please test those!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information