Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team Group Cardea Liquid M.2 PCIe SSD (512GB)

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Team Group Cardea Liquid M.2 PCIe SSD (512GB)

This idea of cooling the underside of motherboards keeps nagging me.

The experience I had with a Rosewill tower chassis may be educational:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681114...82E16811147107
    (cycle thru the images, for a photo of the right-side panel, directly below the CPU socket)

https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntel...-147-107/2.jpg

My first attempt to install a fan in the right-side panel failed: the larger 120mm fans in the top panel did overpower that little fan in the right-side panel, and forced it to spin backwards.

So, that was an easy fix: I turned that little fan around so it blows INWARD, towards the underside of the CPU socket.

Instead of getting too fancy with a design that water-cools the underside of a motherboard, what do you think of this next idea?

First of all, recognize that hot air rises.

As such, perhaps the very bottom of the right-side panel could be modified with a horizontal row of circular holes for mounting 2 or more intake fans. They would be blowing directly against the bottom end of the motherboard tray.

Then, with exhaust fans in the top panel, those larger exhaust fans will draw that cooler up, along the entire underside of the motherboard tray.

If Porsche can design excellent air-coolers, this simple mod may help to draw heat from the motherboard tray and exhaust it out the top panel.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Team Group Cardea Liquid M.2 PCIe SSD (512GB)

Along those same lines, we could re-think the entire geometry of an ATX motherboard tray.
    Instead of large solid areas, narrow U-shaped channels could host the stand-offs, but
    otherwise the underside of the motherboard would be "open" for direct contact with
    the cooling air that is "rising" up the underside, using the concept discussed above.
    Most modern chassis already have large access holes for installing aftermarket CPU coolers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information