• 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC

Rumours from where though? there are rumours and then there are rumours. You know like Messi going to Newcastle Utd vs Bale going to Spurs level of difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    It's not cynical it's just...absolute nonsense lol. What are you even saying ? I legit can't understand the conspiracy theory you're even trying to make!
    Maybe it doesn't make sense because our assumptions are different? I don't know so let's have a look anyway.

Top binned parts are used for overclocking. The FE cards are the lowest clocked parts! All AIB cards come in with some form of overclock. And even if they didn't, they'd be the same speed. But I just don't get the point you're trying to make.
    I thought it was common knowledge that Nvidia keep the best binned (with most overclocking headroom) chips for themselves in their FE cards? At least they did this for 2000 series and charged a $100 premium for FE. This time around I don't see anyone saying anything differently so my assumption was that the 3000 series FE cards are also top binned with the best overclocking headroom so please correct me if I am wrong on this.
    Provided the above, what is interesting this time is that the FE cards are not priced $100 above AIB cards, in fact they have the same MSRP $700. What is known for sure is that the FE cards have a very expensive cooler installed. What is also widely rumoured is that yields are low.
    Assuming all of the above then, I don't think it's a wild stretch of the imagination to see that Nvidia have provided a FE edition card that overclocks the best out of all the cards possible, has an expensive cooler that will keep noise down and a lower than expected MSRP - the combination of which will garner the most favourable reviews possible at launch. It seems Nvidia are selling the FE cards at barely a profit, or at least much lower profit than they did with the 2000 series FE which had a $100 higher MSRP than AIB cards which made sense. The only conspiracy theory then is that Nvidia may have no intention of selling these FE cards at volume. This is conjecture so I don't know.

AIBs don't deal with the pricing mess tho, that is the retailers. The AIBs pay a fixed price for their chips, but retailers negotiate prices with them or distributors. But because of amount of stocks bought, and/or just general relationships, the prices can fluctuate due to vendors "bidding" for the stock - if retailer A says they want 1000 units for X price, but retailer B comes along and goes "no wait I'll pay X price plus 10% if you sell to me instead" then the AIB will shift stock around. On top of that you also just have retailers increasing prices because of demand. It's a poo thing to do, but it's business. (I'm applying my experience in another field here I don't know if this is 100% how it works with PC consumer parts)
    The point about AIBs having to deal with the pricing mess is that it is not possible for them to hit the MSRP of $700 with the above characteristics and still make a decent margin because, at the very least, an equivalent performing cooler will drive up the cost. So AIBs end up making models with RRPs greater than $700 and this is the real price of the cards consumers will see. So the MSRP from Nvidia is somewhat deceptive. I am not talking about retailers scalping due to high demand, that is on top of the AIB RRP prices and I agree with you it's nothing to do with AIBs and is separate to this.

A lot of shady stuff went on with the 2080Ti but it nvidia trying to make a few extra bucks wasn't one of em. You gotta remember, the 20 series had a buttload of money sunk into R&D costs, it was an expensive leap forward that we ended up paying for; they forced us to adopt technology that was nowhere ready because they had to recoup the insane R&D costs. A lot of people say it had something to do with mining which isn't true either, mining from dGPUs was a very short term bubble.
    I wasn't talking about embodied costs or the rights and wrongs of any of that. I was literally just taking and accepting Nvidia's own MSRPs at face value and comparing them to real prices. The 2080Ti was launched at $999 MSRP which EVGA produced a limited number of cards at that price which was for all intents and purposes enough for review samples and for the MSRP of $999 to be publicised. And then most AIB cards ended up costing $1200 or more. There is no conspiracy here, this is just a statement of what happened after the 2080Ti launch. It's not a comment on R&D costs or mining or any other factors, it's their own MSRP compared with final retail prices. What happened there was a little sly in my opinion.

I just can't figure out your conspiracy, and not because it's outrageous, but genuinely because I can't see the point you're trying to make from it. But overall it seems you're thinking nvidia is trying to chip a bit more money from consumers, when the effort needed to do that in conjunction with all the moving parts doesn't make sense at the best of times, but is extra ridiculous when you factor in they're a ginormous manufacturer of millions of GPUs, this is some petty bullpoop to them

Doesn't it just make more sense to you that A) demand is off the scale; it's an amazing card at the best of times, but considering how many consumers were outright disgusted with what they pulled in the 20 series, this felt like some serious redemption, and finally consumers are getting an actual full-fat 4K card (a card that I'll admit I genuinely didn't expect for another generation, AT LEAST), and the demand is so high that tons of websites were crashing left and right

And B) We're IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC THINGS ARE A LITTLE MESSED UP IN SUPPLY CHAINS.

Cmon buddy
    Yeah it genuinely could be. But if you look around the comments sections, not many people seem to have got hands on one yet. Even retailers are openly saying they haven't had deliveries or have had single digit deliveries of 3000 series cards. I'm not saying Nvidia are trying to chip a bit more money from consumers - they would have simply priced it higher and we know they are well capable of that when they know they can (2000 series). If I was to deduce why, it seems likely that they know they have poor yields and they are concerned about what AMD may bring shortly. So they are doing all they can to launch their cards in the best light possible, with some questionable marketing practices. I'm not talking about conspiracies, I'm just deducing from what I can see and what many reviewers and commentators have said along the same lines. I hope that makes sense and I'm happy to hear what you think.
    Last edited by Zhaoman; 18-09-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    Rumours from where though? there are rumours and then there are rumours. You know like Messi going to Newcastle Utd vs Bale going to Spurs level of difference.
    Indeed - I am a bit sceptical like you! But the usual suspects in the US like Moores Law Is Dead, and the other youtuber's that were 90% right about everything else. Heck even LTT are saying similar
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    ....so please correct me if I am wrong on this.
    Going on what GN said in their tear-down they're not doing that this time around, that was a 2080 only thing.

(23min timestamp)

Registered+
    Thanks

I want to get the Stix version, the style and colour are awesome

Registered+
    Thanks

Will be interesting to see how the Strix performs if the TUF is meant to be the "budget" option. Wish the founders edition used a 3 slot cooler like the 3090 to be honest, or at least offered it as an option.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I had a look on a website of a high street retailer who listed it on a search engine as they showed a price

It's had 54,000 views in 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    I had a look on a website of a high street retailer who listed it on a search engine as they showed a price

It's had 54,000 views in 24 hours.
    And this is the big thing people are ignoring. It's not so much that yields are low, or stock is low, it's that demand is high.

Uli
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orcworm View Post
    Will be interesting to see how the Strix performs if the TUF is meant to be the "budget" option. Wish the founders edition used a 3 slot cooler like the 3090 to be honest, or at least offered it as an option.
    I really want to see how the TUF non-OC performs vs the OC and how it overclocks against it.

The entire serious looks really weird because it doesn't really overclock too well from what we've seen from reviewers and the Strix non-OC factory clocks are lower than the TUF OC even though the Strix is mean to be a more premium product, hope Asus put out some binning information about them.

Registered+
    Thanks

How do you even get one though? You have reviews coming out for stuff you can't even buy, no eta, no updates no nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information