Thread: Palit GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Palit GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC

Can Palit topple the preeminent Founders Edition?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Palit GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC

I don't suppose AIB's are to happy with Nvidia, if you can't buy a basic partner card for less than an FE (not that you can really buy either of them currently) it makes the basic partner cards rather redundant.

Thanks

I know it doesn't actually matter, but that's a supremely ugly card. That cheap-looking moulded black plastic shroud, the 'Geforce RTX' logo stuck awkwardly on top, the plastic backplate with a brushed aluminium finish... It's all really bad!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    I know it doesn't actually matter, but that's a supremely ugly card. That cheap-looking moulded black plastic shroud, the 'Geforce RTX' logo stuck awkwardly on top, the plastic backplate with a brushed aluminium finish... It's all really bad!
    it's like food I guess, you've already part decided taste based on what you think it looks like. It's how we're wired to work, so it does matter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I don't suppose AIB's are to happy with Nvidia, if you can't buy a basic partner card for less than an FE (not that you can really buy either of them currently) it makes the basic partner cards rather redundant.
    Considering we're struggling to buy ANY 3xxx series I think everyone wanting one is a little annoyed too lol.

There was a report of the cost of this board being so high that the AIB's were literally making a few quid on it so yeah I'd say they're a bit annoyed, especially with this price point being one of the more popular ones... I'd say nvidia have overpriced the part to them too. This Palit one literally looks like they've saved money on everything just to fit in some shiny lights.... personally I'd rather have a clean 'minimalist' design over rgb, hence why I'm after a founders card (which looks far better quality than most of the AIB ones too) even if I need to wait for it.

To be honest though I've kind of seen nvidia going down the route of being the only seller of their cards and with the way they've improved their gpu cooling this time round I don't think there will be many if any AIB partners soon. The 'stock' coolers on founders editions are in some cases boosting better than the AIB according to some of the reviews I've seen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I don't see why we have anything to complain about however. If Nvidia produce really nice reference cards at the RRP and keep them for the life of the card then it forces partners to up their game - as they can't really charge more then RRP unless the partner card is really special and they can't cut too many corners for an RRP card as the nvidia reference is so good. If they loose a few partners who weren't up to it and just wanted to sell cheap n nasty, or overpriced cards I don't see that as a great loss.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • squirrelz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V LK
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair CMX16GX3M2A1600C11 XMS 16GB 1600MHz CL11 DDR3 Memory
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Windforce GTX660
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! CM BQT L8-630W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E228WFP
      • Internet:
      • Yes

Are Founders Edition cards likely to come back into stock at some point, or is that it now that they're showing sold out?

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelz View Post
    Are Founders Edition cards likely to come back into stock at some point, or is that it now that they're showing sold out?
    I expect they'll be back in stock. They would be utterly stupid to do just one run of such things and then stop production whilst fans have their enthusiasm for an actually worthwhile generational GPU improvement dribbling slowly down their legs. By the sounds of it, the issue is the wafer supply or something otherwise affecting the production of the GPU chip, rather than it being specific to Founder's Edition boards.

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm has found its way into a hastily binned Kleenex after Nvidia's utterly dire treatment of their reviewers. I'd just taken them off "the list" after their last utterly disgraceful screwing of their customers. Now they're back on it and I'm going to have to buy AMD again... and their treatment of customers with SAM being a bespoke feature when it's actually part of the PCI-e featureset really hasn't done much to impress me.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    and their treatment of customers with SAM being a bespoke feature when it's actually part of the PCI-e featureset really hasn't done much to impress me.
    I'm sure if they wanted AMD could have put something non standard in their GPU PCIe implementation to lock it down, but clearly they didn't if Intel support is well on the way and it sounds like Nvidia will be close behind.

It strikes me more as grandstanding with a marketing name instead of saying they support the so consumer friendly named "resizable BAR". Much like when they added the ability to drive 6 monitors they could have called it "6 monitor support" rather than "Eyefinity", and there was nothing to stop any else from doing the same. AMD merely got there first.

This isn't like GSync, or Nvidia's locking out the Linux open source drivers (which is why I haven't felt I could buy Nvidia since I think it was Pascal came out). AMD's posturing has been confusing, and I'm still waiting to know why my 3700X can't support resizable BAR, but in the end they do seem to be adopting the industry standard.

Edit: If Nvidia call their version something like "Standard Access Memory" I will laugh rather hard.
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 13-12-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I'm sure if they wanted AMD could have put something non standard in their GPU PCIe implementation to lock it down, but clearly they didn't if Intel support is well on the way and it sounds like Nvidia will be close behind.

It strikes me more as grandstanding with a marketing name instead of saying they support the so consumer friendly named "resizable BAR". Much like when they added the ability to drive 6 monitors they could have called it "6 monitor support" rather than "Eyefinity", and there was nothing to stop any else from doing the same. AMD merely got there first.

This isn't like GSync, or Nvidia's locking out the Linux open source drivers (which is why I haven't felt I could buy Nvidia since I think it was Pascal came out). AMD's posturing has been confusing, and I'm still waiting to know why my 3700X can't support resizable BAR, but in the end they do seem to be adopting the industry standard.

Edit: If Nvidia call their version something like "Standard Access Memory" I will laugh rather hard.
    Aye, I've got a 3900X and wouldn't mind a bar. Unfortunately they've closed them all down round me. They don't want us talking about them, that's what it is. They're afraid they'll get another brexit. As it stands, all my drinking is having to be done at home. Luckily the missus wants to eat early today, so I get to cook at 1700, moving beer o'clock a whole hour earlier.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

(and yes, if Nvidia ends up being the ones copying AMD's marketing to show feature parity, I'll join you in a chuckle).

Registered+
    Thanks
    • squirrelz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V LK
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair CMX16GX3M2A1600C11 XMS 16GB 1600MHz CL11 DDR3 Memory
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Windforce GTX660
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! CM BQT L8-630W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E228WFP
      • Internet:
      • Yes

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Unfortunately, my enthusiasm has found its way into a hastily binned Kleenex after Nvidia's utterly dire treatment of their reviewers. I'd just taken them off "the list" after their last utterly disgraceful screwing of their customers. Now they're back on it and I'm going to have to buy AMD again... and their treatment of customers with SAM being a bespoke feature when it's actually part of the PCI-e featureset really hasn't done much to impress me.
    Time to dig out that old S3 Virge card lol

Thanks
    • Ciber's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X470 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group
      • Storage:
      • ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB + 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX960 Strix
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Snow Silent 650W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG329Q
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

The elephant in the room is that you can't actually buy any of the 3060ti in a normal way at a normal price. Even on the Nvidia FE page there is no way to be notified when it's back in stock. For that reason I'm out.
    My blog

I used to play BF3, Battlefield BC2, BF4 and TF2

Do something amazing.... Give blood

Thread Information