Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12GB

Thanks

Re: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12GB

gamersnexus included it in their video.

Thanks

Well that was an exercise in futility, no way I'm paying the prices they're asking and at least in one case the site seemed to be holding stock back so they could increase the price as they went along (bit shady imo)...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Scan listed £299 then with 5 minutes to go removed it. Their cheapest one was £360 but you could even buy it.

Nvidia have to stop lying about its RRP,which is clearly a load of nonsense,and blatant false advertising.

Edit!!

Also I hope all the reviews actually show true launch pricing and not give AMD/Nvidia free marketing with their false RRPs.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 25-02-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarby View Post
    Is it worth grabbing one to upgrade from a Vega 56 for 1440p?
    3060ti is probably more suitable for 1440p. If you're considering upgrading, the Vega cards are notably good for mining so the going price for a V56 on ebay right now is £450-500. It's a terrible time to buy a new card but it's a remarkably good time to sell older ones, too.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I find it weird no reviews seem to be running CB2077 on this GPU?? Can Hexus include it in future reviews please??
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Is the game mature enough? Would be distressing to benchmark 10 cards, and then a patch comes out drastically changing performance and you are back to card 1.
    Its literally the most taxing game out now,and one of the main reasons people want a new GPU today!. The one review I saw(Arstechnica) which had it,only ran a pointless 4K benchmark where the RTX2060 Super looked faster in it.
    While I agree that CP2077 would be a great addition to the benchmarks (both for it's Ray Tracing as well as non-RT aspects), is the game actually mature enough to not have to re-benchmark all the cards if there are some tweaks later down the line? Control certainly helps to cover this aspect quite nicely and can be quite brutal I found on my older 2080 without DLSS at 2K resolution. Anyway, if the card can't cope with Psycho settings in CP2077 it's probably not worth trying is it?

Anyway, all the new cards seem to be a little bit of a moot point in terms of bothering to benchmark them when you can't buy one from an actual retailer (so it seems).
    Last edited by Iota; 25-02-2021 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    While I agree that CP2077 would be a great addition to the benchmarks (both for it's Ray Tracing as well as non-RT aspects), is the game actually mature enough to not have to re-benchmark all the cards if there are some tweaks later down the line? Control certainly helps to cover this aspect quite nicely and can be quite brutal I found on my older 2080 without DLSS at 2K resolution. Anyway, if the card can't cope with Psycho settings in CP2077 it's probably not worth trying is it?

Anyway, all the new cards seem to be a little bit of a moot point in terms of bothering to benchmark them when you can't buy one from an actual retailer (so it seems).
    It is stable enough for performance testing IMHO - I can literally point out areas on the map,and what time of the day test runs can be done easily. For example some of the underpasses have a lot of lighting and reflections going on,and not too much in the way of NPCs either.

Thanks

GPGPU Mining will keep most of Nvidias cards super expensive though, in that field I see a gain in advance for better availability for consumers on AMD though or something down those lines.

Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Thanks

As a 1060 6GB user for 4 and a half years, this card is not good enough for the price it is listed at - barely double the performance of a card that's nearly half a decade old is pretty poor, especially when the price point is much higher. It's a card I'd only aim for if I had a failure, or managed to get one well below £300, which is about as likely as winning the Lotto jackpot right now. The 3060ti makes so much more sense, and would be the minimum I'd want after waiting for so long.... There shouldn't be such a performance difference between a 3060 and 3060ti, this is obviously something that should have been called a 3050ti, and priced much lower. The practically useless 12GB on a card of this class probably doesn't help with pricing....

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by =assassin= View Post
    As a 1060 6GB user for 4 and a half years, this card is not good enough for the price it is listed at - barely double the performance of a card that's nearly half a decade old is pretty poor, especially when the price point is much higher. It's a card I'd only aim for if I had a failure, or managed to get one well below £300, which is about as likely as winning the Lotto jackpot right now. The 3060ti makes so much more sense, and would be the minimum I'd want after waiting for so long.... There shouldn't be such a performance difference between a 3060 and 3060ti, this is obviously something that should have been called a 3050ti, and priced much lower. The practically useless 12GB on a card of this class probably doesn't help with pricing....
    Nvidia is pulling the same trick(like AMD) with its partners. Its quite clear to support their industry leading profit margins,the RRP is too low for AIB partners to survive on. So they set pie in the sky RRPs,then can blame partners,miners,etc for the RRP not being kept to. They did the same with Fermi IIRC(maybe even GT200 if memory serves me correct),when XFX basically flipped to ATI because many partners found it hard to make money on lowish prices and limited GPU allocation.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 26-02-2021 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Well £300 for something with 1080ti raster performance (from other benchmarks I've seen) and 2070 ray tracing performance isn't bad, this has been aimed heavily at 1060 owners (that was £260ish at launch) and would be a good solid option . . . if you could get it for the £300 price
    As the market currently stands I've lost all interest in new hardware until things calm down.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Well £300 for something with 1080ti raster performance (from other benchmarks I've seen) and 2070 ray tracing performance isn't bad, this has been aimed heavily at 1060 owners (that was £260ish at launch) and would be a good solid option . . . if you could get it for the £300 price
    As the market currently stands I've lost all interest in new hardware until things calm down.
    More Nvidia bait and switch like what AMD is doing,just to have favourable reviews. The problem is in 2019 and early 2020,you could get RX5700 8GB,RX5600XT and RTX2060 6GB GPUs for under £300. Even the RTX2070 was re-released for a while and they were £350~£400.

Registered+
    Thanks

Good review. Reading this line does hurt a bit inside "it's for those who come from older hardware and want to play the newest games" - if only this was possible!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • thewelshbrummie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87Deluxe/Dual
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2.5TB in SSDs, 24TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200 V3
      • Operating System:
      • Win8.1/10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • terrible BT fibre

Nvidia have to stop lying about its RRP,which is clearly a load of nonsense,and blatant false advertising.
    This. I'm in the US Midwest and have a MicroCenter 10 mins away, who were only selling them in store (no online sales).

They had 50+ cards in stock when I looked about an hour after launch (midday Central Time) and all the cards had sold by 6pm. And it really doesn't help that people are buying them at the inflated prices.

Nvidia's RRP is $329 but the cheapest card was £389.99 (11 stock) and other models were at least $450, one being $510. There's no way I'm buying a 3060 for $10 more than the 3070 and even $60 over RRP is too much (18.5%).

Nvidia really have a lot to answer for right now with regards to the $329 price they quoted when nothing was remotely close to that price.

14. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (26-02-2021)

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Apparently the suggested retail price is USD 329. In Danish Kroner that's about 2000 DKK. Well, I had a quick glance at one of our major retailers here in Denmark (Proshop) and the price range is between 3700 and 4800 DKK (USD 600 - 785). And of course not even one of the 10 listed models is in stock or even has any kind of date attached to it. Colour me surprised...

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

this is all highlighting one of the major problems, supply chain and how little information we (consumers) have on all the steps.
    AFAIK nvidia own no manufacturing, the fe cards are made by an oem for them, how much does it cost them to have them made? What are the supply chain steps to get to us?
    the rtx 3060 is even worse because there are no direct nvidia cards, we have no idea how much influence nvidia has in that supply chain.
    We don't know how many hands the product passes through and at what point the price rises are happening.

I will hold nvidia to account for having better knowledge of the supply chain than we do and should of had a better grasp as to the final rrp, I'm thinking they just ran the numbers through the historic supply chain numbers to get the rrp and ignored the current situation.
    Did they do it wilfully to make lower prices for marketing? or was it a simple mistake that no one actively double checked because the numbers were so good?
    this is unfortunately all too common in corporate culture, no one wants to double check good numbers (even internal numbers) because it'll make your department and you look bad.

Is this a criminal action . . . that's a tough one, we don't know the full information on the state of the supply chain, we have hints about the component shortages and price rises affecting manufacturing but we have no details.
    the difference between rrp and actual price could be, nvidia honestly believing their rrp and messing up or messing up the rrp and wilfully not double checking or flat out giving misleadingly false rrp or some other part of the supply chain sabotaging it with price gouging esp at a distribution level.

it could well of been miners buying at the distribution level pushing the wholesale price up and the nvidia rrp was based on the false notion that their actions would of curtailed it.
    But that's just my speculation, it might be wrong, nvidia might of just increased the unit cost on the gpu's to boost profit margin and lied through their teeth about the rrp
    that too is just speculation as we just don't have any hard info on the supply chain details speculation is all we have.

That and welcome to the free market, this is what happens when prices are driven by supply and demand.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I think Nvidia is doing what they did during the Fermi days and knows exactly what the numbers are,but are forcing their AIB partners to RRPs they can't keep to,whilst asking top dollar for the parts they supply. Remember what happened back then - instead of Nvidia getting the poor PR,it was the AIB partners who got blamed,when prices for many models were not as good as expected. A number such as XFX suffered a lot,because they couldn't make enough money and didn't get enough supply. Yet the same reasons were wheeled out,ie,GPU shortages,bad nodes,etc.

Despite this Nvidia didn't take the hit for most of it - TSMC,AIB partners,etc all did.

Nvidia knows if they set a realworld RRP,they would look bad. Its all PR numbers to give hope to people(and reviewers) that you "might" get a GPU at RRP. This is just another way for Nvidia to hide stealth price increases,by pointing fingers at their partners instead,and is the same tactic AMD has used recently with the RX6800 series RRPs. Nvidia did the same nonsense when the Titan GPUs were released at nearly £1000. Conveniently some Nvidia slide got leaked showing 28NM costed more,etc so people said poor Nvidia they needed to charge more. So despite all these added costs,see how the results don't really reflect it(basically more record revenue and margins). Nvidia like Apple is very adept at pushing down its supply chain prices as much as possible,and it wouldn't surprise me one bit Samsung offers them a much better deal than TSMC offers AMD. They have been around for decades and JHH is one savvy businessman.

Same old tactic,get you to feel "sorry" for multi-billion dollar companies.

Get gamers used to paying more,and next generation the RTX4060 will be a £400 GPU at RRP,because they wouldn't blame Nvidia for essentially making sure the RTX3060 sells at that price. Now GPUs which used to sell for £150~£250,now sell for essentially £350~£450.

Expect the next few quarters of Nvidia profits and margins to hit new highs.

Also I beginning to question the real point of selfbuilt gaming PCs - gaming laptops and prebuilt desktops seem much better value. Its quite clear Dell,etc are not paying the same prices we are paying for CPUs and GPUs. Even consoles are increasingly looking a decent alternative for the normal gamer. If better keyboard and mouse support comes out it could make more people switch over IMHO.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 26-02-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information