Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Intel Core i9-11900K

Thanks

Re: Intel Core i9-11900K

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I looked on Newegg,Amazon US and a few UK retailers. The only RKL SKU which might be a bit hit and miss appears to be the Core i9 11900 series,but the Core i7 and Core i5 series seem OK.Again we will have to only ascertain if availability is truely poor when CNL stocks and production are rundown in favour of RKL. There is that to consider - Intel needs to sell the current CNL stock unless they want to suffer excessive inventory.

You could be right but if they are having issues then it will known by June/July. You saw that with Zen3,when it was quite clear it was either yields or lack of TSMC capacity being available. Even the Ryzen 9 CPUs have been rare as hen's teeth too,although stock does seem to be getting better now. So it seems to be the battle of the CPUs which are hard to get.

However,WRT to the Core i9 CPUs,yields are not the issue here at least with this one model. It will be the Core i7 and Core i5 models availability being lower which is an indication.The Core i9 and Core i7 CPUs this generation are only differentiated by clockspeed. Yet look at their cost and power consumption. This tells me the Core i9 CPUs are essentially a RKL Extreme Edition,ie,binned leaky parts which can clock higher,and have all the boosting tech enabled on them. They are a marketing exercise and why they cost so much.
    Yup I'd agree broadly with that. My US buddies are telling me they have it much easier than us right now though.... (both in stock and prices after scalping effectively disappeared in the last day or 2 because it appears people were NOT willing to pay extra for the cpu's - go figure)
    In the last 24 hours the stock has increased massively - does that mean that availability is better or demand is weak? Bit of both I'd suggest
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Yup I'd agree broadly with that. My US buddies are telling me they have it much easier than us right now though.... (both in stock and prices after scalping effectively disappeared in the last day or 2 because it appears people were NOT willing to pay extra for the cpu's - go figure)
    In the last 24 hours the stock has increased massively - does that mean that availability is better or demand is weak? Bit of both I'd suggest
    Honestly unless you have a workload that needs AVX512 or runs much better on Intel,I don't see the point of the Core i9 11900K CPUs IMHO. You might as well get a Core i7 11700K....or a Ryzen 7 5800X(which seems to have been consistently easier to get than a Ryzen 5 5600X). ATM,the only RKL CPUs which seem to be make sense for me,are thew 6C models and that is because below £300(especially under £200) AMD has kind of let things stagnate a bit IMHO.

Edit!!

The main problem here is that CNL Core i7 11700KF/F and Core i9 10850K are both cheaper than the Core i7 11700K,so I suspect many people who want Intel will go for the CNL CPUs,maybe with one of the newer 500 series motherboards.

Thanks

Honestly unless you have a workload that needs AVX512 or runs much better on Intel,I don't see the point of the Core i9 11900K CPUs IMHO. You might as well get a Core i7 11700K....or a Ryzen 7 5800X(which seems to have been consistently easier to get than a Ryzen 5 5600X). ATM,the only RKL CPUs which seem to be make sense for me,are thew 6C models and that is because below £300(especially under £200) AMD has kind of let things stagnate a bit IMHO.

Edit!!

The main problem here is that CNL Core i7 11700KF/F and Core i9 10850K are both cheaper than the Core i7 11700K,so I suspect many people who want Intel will go for the CNL CPUs,maybe with one of the newer 500 series motherboards.
    It does seem like Intel is in the lookout on the Titanic going who's got the telescopes boys, I've seen them somewhere.

Oh no it's a big white thing!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    It does seem like Intel is in the lookout on the Titanic going who's got the telescopes boys, I've seen them somewhere.

Oh no it's a big white thing!
    I think that white thing might be the ice forming over the top of the phase cooler needed to cool the CPU!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I think AMD didn't order extra wafers from GF as their WSA is coming to a close,and expected TSMC to be able to supply enough capacity. It appears TSMC can't dial up enough extra capacity for AMD,despite Huawei being booted off TSMC 7NM and 5NM.
    I was looking for WSA info the other day for some reason, it looked like it had a few years to go. But even so, that is a contract for a minimum order, if AMD asked for more it wouldn't be a block. OFC GF might well be fully booked as well, it sounds like their ditching 7nm research worked out quite well in the short term at least.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I was looking for WSA info the other day for some reason, it looked like it had a few years to go. But even so, that is a contract for a minimum order, if AMD asked for more it wouldn't be a block. OFC GF might well be fully booked as well, it sounds like their ditching 7nm research worked out quite well in the short term at least.
    Bit of a perfect storm with that thing that cannot be named happening as well...
    That really hammered the supply chain around the world

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The Core i5 11400 looks decent for the money:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdHTSQxdCM

Thanks

I've been laughing today....

In the US they are discounting 11th gen Intel already because sales are so poor....
    A couple of US buddies told me that there are so many available it's unreal 11700K I've been told has sold about 20% of projected amount

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information