Thread: Dell Dimension XPS Gen-4

Thanks

Dell Dimension XPS Gen-4

Dell is both large enough and savvy enough to engineer and market the best gaming system around. This Dimension XPS Gen-4, however, is overpriced and, from a package's point of view, hasn't been specified too well. Dell, I feel, needs to reduce the price to below £1,500 inc. VAT and offer a choice between CRT and TFT at no extra cost. Custom touches, such as a gaming mouse and windowed panel wouldn't go amiss, either. It's surprising to say this, but Dell, with this XPS system, isn't doing what it does best, that is, offering unbeatable value for money. The deep-walleted gamer should look elsewhere.

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xMTMw
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    I just love their cooling system, y can't case makers use that. It is soooo quiet and efficient.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_s
    I just love their cooling system, y can't case makers use that. It is soooo quiet and efficient.
    That would be BTX then . Dell have been using it in the 5000's, 8400's and I assume XPS boxes for a while.

The XPS is a reasonable PC if you don't pay anywhere near the RRP on it and get a good deal from the outlet or one of Dells 'price error' days.

It's not a bad PC as such but not in the same league as your average Hexus fanboys uber rig .
    Last edited by DJWillis; 29-04-2005 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "John Willis is a toaster that talks! - It knows your name.".

Thanks
    XPS is just Dell marketing suits trying to appeal to the gamer / enthusiast market without really understanding it - it's just a profit margin thing for them. That's why you get the LED at the front...which is only blue by default BTW - you can change it in the BIOS (about the only thing you CAN change). The XPS cooling is just a by-product as the case they're using is the Precision workstation case, so the cooling is designed for a dual CPU setup - hence all the empty space at the top of the case. BTW as a Dell field engineer just a couple of tips for buyers of this PC - Dell have a nasty habit of putting the Audigy2 card right next to the video card, blocking the video card fan. Also, I've seen many Dell PC's shipped from the factory with Hyperthreading disabled in the BIOS - always worth checking. Also if you want RAID the board DOES support Matrix RAID but Dell don't offer this config as an option so if you want it you have to config it yourself...Oh, and the drive cover door falls off ALL the time...

Thanks
    One typo..
    Here, for the first time, is where the extra cache on the Pentium 4 660 makes a real difference. Dell's use of an ATI RADEON X850 XT PE PEG16X card helps bump up its score to 24,413.
    but in the chart it says 23,413, if it was 24413 then it would have been second in that chart.

yer...about this rig...dell isnt trying hard enough, anyways anyone who is reallly intrested in gaming would choose a more suited processors like amd athlon fx.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusen
    but in the chart it says 23,413, if it was 24413 then it would have been second in that chart.
    Fixed
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Registered+
    Thanks
    In my Opinion if Dell really wanted to create a SERIOUS Gaming rig they should call AMD, not Intel. When will they realise

As an Gaming enthusiast, many recognise AMD as Dop Dog especially when paired with the top of the line ATI Card !!

Anyway, a decent review, and the pitfalls were perfectly highlighted (Even if i was begging for the reviewer to highlight the AMD vs Intel aspect) In addition perhaps DELL should consider using AMD. Because until they do, me and many more i suspect will never consider using them for a Gaming Experience !!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [OK²]Pihrana
    In my Opinion if Dell really wanted to create a SERIOUS Gaming rig they should call AMD, not Intel. When will they realise
    i'm afraid i fear there is a little more to it than making them 'realise', their financial interests may be closer at heart?!!

Thanks
    Because Intel give huge discounts to those who refuse to buy AMD

Thread Information