• Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Lightbulb HEXUS.Social FAQ

If you've got any General Questions about Meets in General please ask here and I'll flesh this post out with some proper answers over the coming weeks.

As a starter for 10:

Why?
    Well if you hang around Hexus you'll see that we're all a good bunch of people who are reasonably like minded. I thought it would be nice to put names to faces (and real names) and get some of these like minded people in one place for a day of fun. It seems to have worked.

Do people call me by my real name or my Forum Name?
    We do a quick introduction, usually starting with Forum name as that's what people will associate with. Usually accompanied by an "ahhh so that's who you are!". Then we'll go back round and introduce by real name. You can call me Rai, Rachel, Tigs, Tigger, Tiggerai. I really don't mind.

Why do you need my mobile number?
    If you're attending a meet, its very important that I have your mobile number, I will always send mine back again so you can get in touch if need be. If you're delayed, or our meeting place happens to be a building site, then it's important that we can call on Plan B. (This has happened before)
    You can also PM/text/call me if you've got any troubles or if there's a sensitive issue you'd like me to take account of (skintness, eating issues, mobility issues)

I'm quite shy, is a Hexus meet for me?
    Oh hell yes. I've had all sorts of people turn up, from the downright OTT to the overly shy. We don't do cliques, we don't stay in our little groups and we definitely don't leave people out. If you are a bit shy, come along and just have some fun.

HELP!
    A lot of people have lots of questions or fears about meeting random (and we define random) people from the internet. I will assure you that we are not weird, overly geeky or just downright psycho. We're normal people getting together to share a common ground.
    Please feel free to contact me, or any other social veteran (in green) who I'm sure will be more than happy to answer any questions.

What do you guys do at these meets?
    The normal patern is usually meet for lunch and cake, some drinking and cake, chatting and cake, more drinking and cake, then off to do something slightly touristy. Visits to parks are good, so are sea life centers, Stately Homes come secret WW2 research centers, and large victorian bridges. We have been known to go out at night as well, but this all depends on where the meet is, where people are staying and what is on in the area.

Doesn't the conversation get a bit too geeky?
    Not really, it can at times, but that is by no means the main topic of conversation. We mostly talk about our jobs, hobbies and other interests. It's a fascinating bunch of people!

I'm under 18 can I come along?
    All are welcome, however the usual meeting places are pubs so we would need to work round that limitation. If you are under 18 and would like to come along please let us know in the thread well before hand so arrangements can be made. A responsible adult would need to be in attendance with you too.
    Tigs edit: We will try to state if there is an age limit for any activites, generally the "Day" part of a meet will be suitable for Families and those under 18.
    "Evening" activities will start after dinner, we will make sure anyone who cannot attend from this point on is safely back on transport home before we leave!
    If you are under 18, please make sure that someone responsible knows where you are, guardians are more than welcome to get in touch if they have reservations.

When are you going to have a meet in <insert home town here>?
    Eventually... maybe. Some places are easier to get to than others, some places have more Hexus members than others. There is a lot more chance of a meet happening near you if there are others in the areas that are going to show up as well.

Can I bring a friend/better half along
    Answer: Yes it is actively encouraged. The more the merrier.

What if I get lost?
    Before the meet, the Social Organiser will PM you a mobile phone number that you can ring at any time in case you get lost, turn up late etc.
    Please ensure that you have sent a contact number back again in case plans change at a moments notice!

I'm not particularly flush at the moment, will a meet cost a lot?
    At all times we try and keep the cost of a meet to a minimum, we're all being credit crunched at the moment!
    We will try and use any vouchers or other cost saving devices when choosing an activity!

I have special requirements (disabilities, eating requirements, religion etc)
    Please let us know, we try to be completely inclusive to everyone on HEXUS.
    If you have a special requirement, please let the Social Organiser know by PM and they will do their best to accommodate you.
    We have in the past chosen wheelchair accessible eateries or accommodated special eating requirements. These aren't an issue, but we need to know for some forward planning!

Help I can't get there/I live too far away etc
    Dont worry, if you want to come to a meet, stick a post up in the social forum or in the actual even thread itself, and theres a good chance there will be someone else coming from your general direction, so you may be able to hitch a lift, or at the very least can get advice on how to get there and rough pricing.

The Original Post is here: http://forums.hexus.net/general-disc...ocial-faq.html

A few of the older links for some nostalgic reading:

History of the "Green" name changes: http://forums.hexus.net/general-disc...tch-space.html

The December "Birthday" Meet - 10 Years AGO! (yes, the clever amongst you will be able to work out how old I am this year) - http://forums.hexus.net/general-disc...on-keynes.html

Roll Call - August 2008 - http://forums.hexus.net/general-disc...roll-call.html
    So up to November 2008 we had done 11 Meets and 2 LANs! Wow! I didn't realise I got about so much!
    Last edited by tiggerai; 27-07-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: More Juicy tidbits

2. Received thanks from:

Disturbedguy (29-07-2017),MLyons (28-07-2017),peterb (27-07-2017)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: HEXUS.Social FAQ

Thanks Tigs - great summary of what, why and how!

(The eagle-eyed might notice a brief mention of cake - beer also features from time to time )
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

4. Received thanks from:

tiggerai (27-07-2017)

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

can attest to the 'being friendly on shy people'.

I'm very very very shy. even get cold sweats before going outside, even to places I've been to hundreds of times.

but even though it took me a year of saying 'yes ill go.. oh wait no nevermind'. 'maybe this time'. 'nope..' then eventually just jumped into a beat up old civic with a fellow northerner, then off we pootled down the motorway to Uttoxeter, not sure I even talked to anyone that first time past the initial 'hello'.

then I went back again, then again, then maybe talked to a bunch of the green names. then one last final time so four in total.
    got a hug from tigs, totally worth

pretty much all of them were the friendliest nicest bunch of people i've ever met.
    I used to work at shopmobility and help sweet old grannies, some of whom knitted scarves, so I know friendly people.. and HEXITEs - theyre nicer than grannies! you cant get nicer

not been to a non LAN meet, i'll probably be the one to get lost.

I will assure you that we are not weird, overly geeky or just downright psycho. We're normal people getting together to share a common ground.
    speak for yourself. I define weird and not normal. I mean. I do have a fibreglass 8ft grizzly bear in the garden next to a penguin.

6. Received thanks from:

Disturbedguy (29-07-2017),peterb (27-07-2017),tiggerai (27-07-2017)

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    When are you going to have a meet in <insert home town here>?
    Eventually... maybe. Some places are easier to get to than others, some places have more Hexus members than others. There is a lot more chance of a meet happening near you if there are others in the areas that are going to show up as well. There is a map of members locations to help with this, so register yourself on it.
    Is the map still in use?

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Is the map still in use?
    Alas not... I have no idea where it was in the first place. My old brain is obviously failing me!

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Thanks Tigs - great summary of what, why and how!

(The eagle-eyed might notice a brief mention of cake - beer also features from time to time )
    I actually added more cake than was in the original... as I do like it. (as the more "nostalgic" Meet attendees will remember - luckily it looks like the Photobucket shutdown has taken the photographic evidence with it.... shame....)

Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    I'm very very very shy. even get cold sweats before going outside, even to places I've been to hundreds of times.
    but even though it took me a year of saying 'yes ill go.. oh wait no nevermind'. 'maybe this time'. 'nope..' then eventually just jumped into a beat up old civic with a fellow northerner, then off we pootled down the motorway to Uttoxeter, not sure I even talked to anyone that first time past the initial 'hello'.
    then I went back again, then again, then maybe talked to a bunch of the green names. then one last final time so four in total.
    got a hug from tigs, totally worth

pretty much all of them were the friendliest nicest bunch of people i've ever met.
    I used to work at shopmobility and help sweet old grannies, some of whom knitted scarves, so I know friendly people.. and HEXITEs - theyre nicer than grannies! you cant get nicer

not been to a non LAN meet, i'll probably be the one to get lost.
    And I was proper proud of you for that one. People don't know this (and I'm only really figuring it out for myself) but I have massive Social Anxiety, doing HEXUS meets was the best thing to happen to me socially. The Boys and Girls I've met through this forum will be friends for life.

And yes, I've been told I give good hugs. I love a good hug.

Hope to see you very soon Stevie

10. Received thanks from:

Disturbedguy (29-07-2017),stevie lee (27-07-2017)

Thanks

I actually added more cake than was in the original... as I do like it.
    I know - I think one meet emptied the cake stand at the Bletchley Park cafe!

And yes, I've been told I give good hugs. I love a good hug.
    Hugs are good!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    ^This. Rai is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Super easy to talk to and get along with, makes you feel totally at ease

*snip*

but I have massive Social Anxiety, doing HEXUS meets was the best thing to happen to me socially.
    I also..struggle with social anxiety, has gotten worse over recent years (one of the reasons I stopped attending LANS) but I feel I have recently regained some of my previous confidence and I think a Hexus meetup would be a good step and then maybe a LAN . I can honestly say you are one of the nicest people someone will ever meet.

As a side note, if memory serves, I showed you the way of the "cardboard mouse mat" at one LAN, if I remember correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Is the map still in use?
    Alas not... I have no idea where it was in the first place. My old brain is obviously failing me!
    The thread is here http://forums.hexus.net/general-disc...tml#post618584 but the map was on frappr.com - and yes, I had forgotten about that, and it seems a lot of other people did too, as the domain name is up for sale. So I suspect the map is long gone and never to return (unless it's cached somewhere )
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Man, hadn't realised I'd actually been to two of these things. Even found a review hidden away from one of the visits.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    Man, hadn't realised I'd actually been to two of these things. Even found a review hidden away from one of the visits.
    Just need one more then Lucio
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thread Information