Thread: Rented house >Faulty door lock >Stuck child > Hammer/chisel > open door >responsible?

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Rented house >Faulty door lock >Stuck child > Hammer/chisel > open door >responsible?

Long story is my 3 year old went into my bedroom on sunday and closed the door; he was supposed to be having a nap but instead went exploring. I went to find him and couldn't open the door. This is pretty stressful as yo have no idea what the little monster is up to. No other accesss to the room; 2nd story locked upvc window unit.Confirmed with my wife there was no lock on the door; he could not open the door. I tried sliding something under the latch; no joy. I had a quick go at kicking in the door; my puny body was not up to it.

I got the chisel and hammer out and chiseled out the strike plate. Door opened fine. After being told to lie on our bed I was really impressed he obeyed me.

Now, as this house is rented. Is the damage my responsiblity? Should I have got a lock smith in? This must happen a few times. I should tell them or do I get the liquid wood and white paint out for a cover up job?

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Re: Rented house >Faulty door lock >Stuck child > Hammer/chisel > open door >responsi

I suspect the way you've gone about it makes it your responsibility. Presumably the bar had slipped out of one of the handles and you could have sorted it with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

That being said, if you're happy with the way it functions now, give it a coat of gloss and claim it was already like that.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Re: Rented house >Faulty door lock >Stuck child > Hammer/chisel > open door >responsi

The latch does not fully retract into the door. Only half way which meant there was no way it was opening.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

this is for you to sort out. internal door latches are not part of the landlord's responsibility to maintain. Door handle springs do wear out. Just like a lightbulb that goes during the tenancy it's up to you to sort it out. Just buy a new handle. Or did you break the wood of the door frame? unscrewing the door handle cover plate would give access to the square axle that a pair of pliers can be used on to turn the latch more fully. Chisel? What did you do that for?

pics would help us understand the question...

in short, repair the damage, make it look nice. chances are they won't notice. And your obligation would be to make good the damage anyway. So just do that. If you get on well with landlord tell him it broke and you had to fit new door handle + latch, send pic of the good work and job sorted. If you don't get on, and think he will get crappy, wait to see if he spots it. Not like you'll lose anything.

Oh and wood filler + wood epoxy are very useful things.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    this is for you to sort out. internal door latches are not part of the landlord's responsibility to maintain.
    If I ever rent again, I'll just remove all internal door furniture when I leave....

Registered+
    Thanks

Had similar things happen in my rented property and had a few problems that I have ended up fixing myself. I think most landlords are happy providing you repair/replace to get it looking the same as you moved in.

Thread Information