Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loft Conversion - Yay or Nay? Advise please!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Loft Conversion - Yay or Nay? Advise please!

Quote Originally Posted by fuddam View Post
    I did it myself, with help from a qualified builder. Point was that we didn't make it into a formally recognised room - as Saracen stated, there are so many regs esp around the permanent staircase/ firedoor etc, for which there wasn't space. Didn't move the struts, since was do-able but going to cost a whole heap. I had to make it usable within 2 weeks while my wife was away, lol.

New ceiling insulation, loft window installed, standing desk/s, plasterboarding etc

When we come to sell the place, will simply be a glorified loft, so not added REAL value, but turned it into my office. Made space. Cost was minimal.

erm, you may well find you're in trouble when you come to sell, if not sooner. The addition of windows without planning+ conversion and alteration of space without building regs approval could leave you well and truly in the proverbial cack. How long ago did you do it? And you've made it into your office. Ie. habitable space. Eek!
    Last edited by ik9000; 03-02-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks

A loft conversion is the best option to increase the space of living for family members. It's also more benefits to increase more value to a home. You can convert your extra space in playroom, living room, small kid room, bathroom etc. So loft conversion idea is best.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raynespark View Post
    A loft conversion is the best option to increase the space of living for family members. It's also more benefits to increase more value to a home. You can convert your extra space in playroom, living room, small kid room, bathroom etc. So loft conversion idea is best.
    Welcome to HEXUS - however I expect that nearly 5 years after asking the question, the original poster will have made a decision
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

4. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Welcome to HEXUS - however I expect that nearly 5 years after asking the question, the original poster will have made a decision
    Some people do hum and har about big decisions, though.... My wife is like that.

6. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (10-11-2018),Zak33 (09-11-2018)

Registered+
    Thanks

After building a large 2 story extension on the side of my house (Doubled the size of the house and a double garage, the only place to look next would be the loft, Priced up loft conversation (1: Builder did everything 2: Builder rearranged joists and i do everything else) when i had these figures i contacted local estate agents to see what extra value it could add and that i wasn't going to put house into a negative equity.. there was still room for a large profit margin and now the idea is sat on the back burner as i really dont need the extra space but if i sell its a extra point with regards the sale.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwug View Post
    After building a large 2 story extension on the side of my house (Doubled the size of the house and a double garage, the only place to look next would be the loft, Priced up loft conversation (1: Builder did everything 2: Builder rearranged joists and i do everything else) when i had these figures i contacted local estate agents to see what extra value it could add and that i wasn't going to put house into a negative equity.. there was still room for a large profit margin and now the idea is sat on the back burner as i really dont need the extra space but if i sell its a extra point with regards the sale.
    Some builders are fine, but I have seen far too many where they have caused serious problems which could have easily been avoided had a structural engineer and architect been asked to look at things before the hammers started flying. I would always recommend gettings designs from qualified professionals, or at the very least having your builder's designs independently reviewed (which in itself makes sure he actually has some designs) before signing any contract or letting them start work at your house.

Let's face it, the house is for most of us the most expensive asset we will ever own. It's not good enough to simply ask a builder to turn up and let him "make it up as he goes along." You'd better hope nothing goes wrong and you can get a Building Control completion certificate at the end of it all. Sadly that isn't always the case. Especially when there are no designs to begin with. And there's nothing like a lack of Building Control to knock significant sums off a sale price - or even collapse a sale completely. (or in some cases collapse the building altogether, though thankfully those are rarer).

Edit: Also remember to get proper planning approval. Permitted development limits the amount of additional floor area that can be created by a series of independent extensions/loft conversions. So you may now need a full planning application to go up, whereas it's not uncommon for builders to assume (and incorrectly advise) their standard loft plan is compliant under permitted development. It might be for the original house unchanged, but possibly not for one already extended as yours.
    Last edited by ik9000; 09-11-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

First Stage of my extension was designed by me, first draft drawings by me, then passed to planning just for perusal to see if there could be any issues.. this way i saved time and money. Second Stage i then went and got plans drawn up by an architect and structural engineer with regards the large garage door opening and large rear kitchen glass doors to allow for the second story.. Stage Three get quotes. Blah blah blah

The loft conversation i had planned was at the First stage costs nothing but a little my time.. i now know it would be cost effective, so i could do drawings and take them to planning for perusal as before..

But as i said i dont need the space.. Yet

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwug View Post
    First Stage of my extension was designed by me, first draft drawings by me, then passed to planning just for perusal to see if there could be any issues.. this way i saved time and money. Second Stage i then went and got plans drawn up by an architect and structural engineer with regards the large garage door opening and large rear kitchen glass doors to allow for the second story.. Stage Three get quotes. Blah blah blah

The loft conversation i had planned was at the First stage costs nothing but a little my time.. i now know it would be cost effective, so i could do drawings and take them to planning for perusal as before..

But as i said i dont need the space.. Yet
    You can go to planning with pretty much anything - it's up to them if they accept it. I've seen someone get planning permission for a basement on 3 sides of hand-drawn A4!* However building control will need some proper design, and under CDM2015 all clients, including domestic ones, have a legal obligation to ensure that all people working on a project have sufficient competence to safely undertake that work. That includes ensuring those designing it are appropriately qualified to do so. One to watch out for, because if something goes wrong and you can't demonstrate that to the HSE's satisfaction? ... well, that's a tricky situation to get out of.

*It's worth noting that when their neighbour tried to copy the approach, they too got planning based on the same "drawings". They then didn't get any proper designs and their "builder" (who was actually more of a plumber) collapsed the entire house, taking out their ground floor apartment, the flat upstairs, damaging the adjoining two houses either side, and ultimately making several national newspapers as they faced bankruptcy, finding (unsurprisingly) that not notifying your insurers in advance of building work is not a clever idea.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

blimey...its a proper thread res

good work guys

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information