Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a new sofa

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Buying a new sofa

IMO don't go for any of those
    go for a custom one made locally [will not be cheap but will be excellent]

or if you want a cheap one nip down to your local charity shop and get something from there

or something like
    https://www.swooneditions.com/sofas [no a recommendation]

Thanks
    • rich835's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K @4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock
      • PSU:
      • Powercool X-Viper 80 Plus Bronze 950W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z3 Plus - White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer K272HL + Oculus Rift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150mb

I've had a few catalogue and DFS types over the years, all rubbish, not lasted long at all.

About 4 years ago, we decided to get something better. Spent some time looking round a local independent furniture company's showroom.
    We found a Parker Knoll one we really liked, not cheap! What I did was then go away and found a good deal online, took the quote back to the local company and they matched it.

Very happy with what we've got now, feels very strurdy, and still very comfortable 4 years on. I have a feeling it will last a good amount of time.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    Hi guys.

Currently looking at a new sofa. I have used the usual suspects:

Sofology
    DFS
    SCS

Where do you guys recommend buying from? Some prices are extortionate...
    Look locally first.

DFS/SCS is more or less the same.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256 Crucial MX100 +Kingston 256GB SSD and 500GB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit nVidia 1070Ti Rockgamer
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 650W
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse-32
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Dell 23" U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 60MB

Thread revival I know. Thanks for the help all. Due to other work, getting a sofa was delayed. Only just got round to it now. We bought local in the end. Made in the UK. Just waiting on delivery. 8 weeks or so

Now I just need to find a new entertainment unit for the tv. Nice and modern looking. Dark colours. Perhaps glossy.
    Home Entertainment =BenQ W1070, Samsung 65" HDTV, Denon AVRX6300H, Playstation 3 and Monitor Audio Silver RX 5.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Patriot 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 256GB Crucial SSD, Kingston 256GB SSD and 500GB Samsung F3, Palit GTX1070 GameRock Edition , Enermax Liberty 620W, Akasa Eclipse-32,Dell 2715H & Dell U2311H
    Home Server 2/HTPC - HP Gen 8 with 4GB ram, Windows 7 Pro and Crucial M4 128GB SSD, MSI AMD R7 240 2GB, 2x WD Red 3TB 1x 2TB WD Black running XBMC
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS2415+ with 18TB
    Tablet=Microsoft Surface Pro 4 & Huawei M5 10"

Thanks

Funnily enough, we are in the process of finalising the order to have our existing suite re-upholstered. Just finalising some fabric changes due to not being happy with "actual" samples.

Maybe I ought to explain that.

You pick fabric(s) from hundreds of options from a load of different fabric companies and are then sent "sample" pieces from stock. Once you order, the actual cloth that will be used is bought in, and you are sent an "actual"- sample from the roll(s) that will be used for your furniture, in case there are any differences to stock samples.

There was, on one fabric.

That caused significant problems, and about 2 months of delay, but finally we think we have "actual" samples we're happy with.

So then, our suite is collected (loan furniture left) and taken away. It's stripped diwn to bare wood. Any damage repaired, joints reglued/screwed, resprung, webbing replaced, and any damaged, flattened or degraded padding replaced, and the whole thing brought up to current stsndards in safety, fire-retardancy, etc.

Apart from minor cosmetic design features, it's rebuilt like-for-like. That is, no modifying of shaping, etc, but rebuilt to essentually look the same, but new fabric. Those minor changes could be repkscing old-fadhioned tassels with a "skirt", or twisted cord with single-colour piping, etc. But essentially, it's the same design.

This process is extremely labour intensive and, believe me, is not cheap. Put it this was, we could have brought a brand G-Plan suite, inclyding electric recliners, for less. And as for DFS, etc, from what I've seen, price up a suite then triple it. Or more.

It isn't worth it for a suite that was cheap to hegin with.

BUT .... we have a suite that, first, was custom-built (to body measurements) in the first place, and second, was very solidly constructed. It's now some 30 years old, some springs need replacing and some of the fabric is starting to look a little worn. It's also higjly due for a modernisation, colour-wise.

But the structure is rock solid, all solid wood built (no cardboard, chipboard, MDF, etc., and most importantly, we like it and find it extremely confortable.

My opinion, based on quite a bit of hunting around and question-asking, is that very few modern factory-built suites are built the way they were even 20 years ago. Prices may be very competitive, but at the cost of quality and solidity, even in fairly 'high-end' furniture.

We found ONE suite we actually felt was comparable in build and confort. Trouble is, and the name escapes me, it was premium, Italian, and a like-for-like replacement woukd have been about £15k.

And no, that isn't a typo.

Which is why I said earlier in this thread that, in addition to being prepared to pay fir it, this route is for people intending to keep a suite long-term, or prepared to pay several grand every few years to change the colour. We got this suite nearly 30 years and hope to never change it again. That means the current not inconsiderable fost should, hopefully, be it, for life. Not hunting around maybe every 3-5 years.

That doesn't suite everybody.

But if you have, ir can get, a really well-built older and comfortable suite, consider it. It ain't cheap, but it's hopefully a very infrequently repeated expense.

And it sure beats traipsing around numerous furniture shops.

6. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (06-05-2019)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1060
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I have a sofa that I purchased back in 2000. I ordered it with leather like rhino-butt....it's tough. I had dogs.

the years roll on.. dogs die... move house and think... I will upgrade soon.

Then I decided a dog was more important... it should do a few more years
    Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

bored of Vienetta now
    Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

we went with DFS. Lasted ok so far but no psycho pets/reckless kiddies or the like to abuse it.

Choose carefully some sofas are better than others. Ask to see inside the covers. It tells you a lot. (not all can do this, but the one we got you could unzip the liner at the base)

Wait for a sale. Do not buy the list price. If it's at the list price it's because they're going to put it in a sale. Know what you want and wait for it to appear. The scotch guard treatment is worth it for fabric. The easy slide ptfe feet are not worth it. If you need them buy your own on Amazon. They gave us pads that were far too small for the size of the feet. Not impressed with that. Everything else was fine.

as someone else said this is definitely one to put on the credit card.

Also remember to ask about delivery - as in physically getting it into your house and then into the room in question. We got a sofa where the arms are separate unboltable pieces from the main part. It's the only reason it got in. If we'd got the other one we were looking at that didn't do that we would have been stuffed.

bored of Vienetta now
    Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    My current lounge suite (sofa, three large chairs) must be 30 years old, and is getting to need reuphosltering. A fee springs have been replaced over the years. But the frames etc are built solidly and will probably outlast me.
    oh, picking up on an old thread I struggled to find before - I asked my folks who they used to re-foam theirs and 1) it took 3 goes to get right 2) they have now gone bust. Hence sorry, not able to come good on the promise to forward you their details. (though I'm guessing you'd realised that already)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    oh, picking up on an old thread I struggled to find before - I asked my folks who they used to re-foam theirs and 1) it took 3 goes to get right 2) they have now gone bust. Hence sorry, not able to come good on the promise to forward you their details. (though I'm guessing you'd realised that already)
    I had assumed so, yeah. Not a problem. We went with Plumbs anyway and, so far, it certainly hasn't been the smooth customer-centric experience we were led to expect. Nonethless, we'll see when we get the final, completed product.

Would I use Plumbs again? Well, experuence so far puts that in question but, again, it depends on the final product.

What I would say is that it's not a cheap service and, generally, when paying a premium price for a product or service I expect to get permium service. The airlines or at least the onss I've used, charge substantially for 1st class but you get hand-held, fuss minimised and oh-so pampered ... in as far as is possible on a flight. Ever stayed at the Savoy? Again, premium service but at a price.

The examples are numerous and I'm still hoping that the final product will be as good as others that have used them, including the in-laws, have said, in which case maybe I'd use them again, but so far .... not impressed. Except for the local 'consultant'. She's been exemplary. It's HQ that have been the pain in what I expect to be resting in my reupholstered chair

bored of Vienetta now
    Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I had assumed so, yeah. Not a problem. We went with Plumbs anyway and, so far, it certainly hasn't been the smooth customer-centric experience we were led to expect. Nonethless, we'll see when we get the final, completed product.

Would I use Plumbs again? Well, experuence so far puts that in question but, again, it depends on the final product.

What I would say is that it's not a cheap service and, generally, when paying a premium price for a product or service I expect to get permium service. The airlines or at least the onss I've used, charge substantially for 1st class but you get hand-held, fuss minimised and oh-so pampered ... in as far as is possible on a flight. Ever stayed at the Savoy? Again, premium service but at a price.

The examples are numerous and I'm still hoping that the final product will be as good as others that have used them, including the in-laws, have said, in which case maybe I'd use them again, but so far .... not impressed. Except for the local 'consultant'. She's been exemplary. It's HQ that have been the pain in what I expect to be resting in my reupholstered chair
    what? A daschund?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information