Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 37

Thread: Old Tools

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    179 times in 134 posts
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

    Old Tools

    Anyone else a fan of old school tools? From back when tools were built to last and a little over engineered.

    Picked this up on ebay a while back:



    A little TLC and I have this:



    It's rather good, it sharpened up a treat. Cost as much as a bargain basement plane off Amazon but so much better.

    I've got a few chisels and saws to sort out as well when I get time.

  2. Received thanks from:

    g8ina (19-02-2019),PC-LAD (19-02-2019),peterb (19-02-2019),Saracen999 (20-02-2019),TeePee (19-02-2019),Zak33 (19-02-2019)

  3. #2
    HEXUS.timelord. Zak33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I'm a Jessie
    Posts
    34,272
    Thanks
    2,612
    Thanked
    2,684 times in 1,689 posts
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1060
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

    Re: Old Tools

    yes me,,,, me

    //jumps up and down...

    me... me!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked
    12 times in 11 posts
    • PC-LAD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X370 GT7
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600 @ 5.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 GB TG Delta @2666. Apparently a matching kit wont let me reach 2933
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Sandisk SSD plus, 1tb SeaGate Barracuda, 640GB WD Black, 500gb WD Blue sata ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Lovely RX 570
      • PSU:
      • Evga G+650w
      • Case:
      • MasterBox 5 Lite TemG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix G24C
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 35 down :(

    Re: Old Tools

    dad has about 42 old wood planes in the shed, all rusted to hell. He has plenty of other old manual tools like hand drills. There is also nothing like using a ball peen and whacking the bejesus out of a rivet

  5. #4
    Old and VERY grumpy. g8ina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In a world of pain. Fibromyalgia UK.
    Posts
    6,093
    Thanks
    1,923
    Thanked
    1,257 times in 880 posts
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • QuadCore Intel Core i5-3570K, 3600 MHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system + 1TB data, + 6.5TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1 GB)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

    Re: Old Tools

    Brilliant. My kinds job that

  6. #5
    HEXUS.timelord. Zak33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I'm a Jessie
    Posts
    34,272
    Thanks
    2,612
    Thanked
    2,684 times in 1,689 posts
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1060
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

    Re: Old Tools

    you are un-officially our tool restorer now... welcome to your new thread... get cleaning please

    Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    179 times in 134 posts
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

    Re: Old Tools

    That plane is a Record no.4 smoothing plane circa early 50s from what I can tell. In pretty good nick really. I'll grab a few more pics tonight.

    Restoration was straightforward if tedious. Sandpaper + scotch brite + wire wool for the rust. A bit of buffing of some stuff with polishing compound. And a good sharpen on diamond stones.
    The handles I scraped clean and then coated with garnet shellac.

    I also have a Stanley no.4 plane (mostly restored), a Record no.5 plane, a plough plane, a rebate plane, a router plane, and about 10 chisels of various makes, mostly old Sheffield forged stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by PC-LAD View Post
    dad has about 42 old wood planes in the shed, all rusted to hell. He has plenty of other old manual tools like hand drills. There is also nothing like using a ball peen and whacking the bejesus out of a rivet
    I'll take any spare planes off your hands.

    On the other hand while I'm generally a fan of hand tools, for drilling I'm all about electricity.

  8. #7
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,234
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked
    556 times in 466 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: Old Tools

    Most of my woodwork tools are old, many pre-war I think.
    No 4, No 5, No 4½, various Marples chisels and a few other makes (Ward, Sorby, etc). Record combination plane, marking gauges, dovetail and tenon saws as old as 1880, Record 53 vice, spokeshave... Much of that ilk.
    I don't have much in the way of things like wooden planes, but I am considering giving them a try.

    Hang on to that router plane, though - Certain YouTubers have pushed the price of them way up. Used to be £20, but you're lucky if they're under £100 now and even modern brands like Veritas are usually sold out.
    _______________________________________________________________________

    Quote Originally Posted by PC-LAD View Post
    Tasky is right

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    179 times in 134 posts
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

    Re: Old Tools

    Few more pics.







    And one of the Stanley, its had a bit of recent use and just had a new rear handle as the old one split.

  10. Received thanks from:

    DanceswithUnix (20-02-2019),peterb (20-02-2019),Zak33 (20-02-2019)

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked
    189 times in 146 posts

    Re: Old Tools

    Yup, another fan here.

    Don't get me wrong - I like modern, good quality power tools too. They are great at getting a job done, quickly and easily though with many, it's also easy to mess up .... even more quickly.

    But there's something relaxing about old hand tools. I have saws, planes, chisels, drills, you-name-it.

    The way I see it is power tools are utilitarian and get a chore done quickly. But for a 'project', a labour of love, hand tools slow you down and then you can enjoy the craft, the skill. My favourite - shaping a square-edged bit of wood into something curved and elegant. It's doing it slowly that forces it to be done with thought and care.

    It's simply kinda ..... Zen.

  12. #10
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,066
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    1,037 times in 881 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Old Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    On the other hand while I'm generally a fan of hand tools, for drilling I'm all about electricity.
    I think my dad has an ancient hand cranked pillar drill which might change your mind on that

    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    And one of the Stanley, its had a bit of recent use and just had a new rear handle as the old one split.
    So you can get spare handles, or did you have to make one with your various restored woodworking tools?

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    179 times in 134 posts
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

    Re: Old Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    So you can get spare handles, or did you have to make one with your various restored woodworking tools?
    Bought a spare off ebay. In theory you could carve one, but I don't have a spokeshave or the like for that. I assume you could also turn one on a lathe.

  14. #12
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,234
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked
    556 times in 466 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: Old Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    The way I see it is power tools are utilitarian and get a chore done quickly. But for a 'project', a labour of love, hand tools slow you down and then you can enjoy the craft, the skill.
    The main failings I find in power tools, aside from those you've mentioned, are the noise and requirement for dust extraction, the tendency for people to cheap out on the bits and blades, and how long they actually take with all the setup of fences and guides and things... and that's not including those for which you need to build jigs first!
    Half the time I've cracked out the hand tools, done the job, resharpened afterward, and had my tea all before the power tool has been ready to turn on!

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    It's simply kinda ..... Zen.
    You need to watch some Paul Sellers videos... I think you'd enjoy his work!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Bought a spare off ebay. In theory you could carve one, but I don't have a spokeshave or the like for that. I assume you could also turn one on a lathe.
    For the rear tote handle, you could do pretty well with saws, chisels and rasps. Several videos showing this, my favourite so far being WoodByWright.
    It'd be harder, but you could do the same for a front knob. Start with a No 4 and plane a block into a cylinder, then chisel to rough shape, final form it with a rasp and sand it smooth before applying finish.
    _______________________________________________________________________

    Quote Originally Posted by PC-LAD View Post
    Tasky is right

  15. #13
    Senior Member Bonebreaker777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,002
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked
    190 times in 177 posts
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

    Re: Old Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Anyone else a fan of old school tools? From back when tools were built to last and a little over engineered.

    Picked this up on ebay a while back:



    A little TLC and I have this:



    It's rather good, it sharpened up a treat. Cost as much as a bargain basement plane off Amazon but so much better.

    I've got a few chisels and saws to sort out as well when I get time.
    Can see the links when quoting your post but can't access the pictures :| (could be they're blocked, I'm at work right now)

  16. #14
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    1,316
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked
    328 times in 211 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD, 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX-480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Antec Mini P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Origin Fibre Max

    Re: Old Tools

    I thought this was going to be another thread about MPs.

  17. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    179 times in 134 posts
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

    Re: Old Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    The main failings I find in power tools, aside from those you've mentioned, are the noise and requirement for dust extraction, the tendency for people to cheap out on the bits and blades, and how long they actually take with all the setup of fences and guides and things... and that's not including those for which you need to build jigs first!
    Half the time I've cracked out the hand tools, done the job, resharpened afterward, and had my tea all before the power tool has been ready to turn on!
    Don't forget space. All my hand tools fit on a couple of shelves. Power tools tend to take a huge amount of space for their large tables and motors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    You need to watch some Paul Sellers videos... I think you'd enjoy his work!!!
    He is rather good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreaker777 View Post
    Can see the links when quoting your post but can't access the pictures :| (could be they're blocked, I'm at work right now)
    Odd. They're shared off OneDrive, that might be blocked?

  18. #16
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,234
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked
    556 times in 466 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: Old Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Don't forget space. All my hand tools fit on a couple of shelves. Power tools tend to take a huge amount of space for their large tables and motors.
    If you have things like tables and feed trays, you're beyond power tools and now into proper machinery... but they're a fantastic excuse for getting a bigger workshop, so there are advantages there!
    I only have a bandsaw, but that's meant the entire garage has now become my workshop!
    _______________________________________________________________________

    Quote Originally Posted by PC-LAD View Post
    Tasky is right

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •