• Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Re: Lean-to Bike Shed

Yeah, I'm going to spreadsheet it up. The things I definitely need are a couple of batteries and an impact driver, the 'buy once' mentality is pushing me down the brushless route for that as well though! Everything else can wait for the next project, except the battery devouring 18V coffee machine...

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    I think my only big question left is how to attach the roof beams to the frames. Will have a flat piece of wood top and bottom but obviously a slope between. Back to YouTube and the internet I think!
    I imagine it would be rectangular timber plate laid flat on top of stud wall, bolted double timber trimmer beam along the wall face (if spanning unsupported ie not fixed to the wall). Rafters notched onto timbers at both ends with birdmouth joints (2/3 depth of rafter typically i.e. 2/3 timber remaining, 1/3 cut out. You can go to 50% max but for thinner timbers it's usually better to stay at 1/3, particularly the low end where you want the rafter to continue) and frame cramps/rafter cramps/truss clips to hold things in place. NB to nog the rafters to brace them and stop rotation. Rafters and roofing should oversail the walls to give rain protection. SFAIK roof finishes should lap over eaves board and membrane brought back under. (Think about where drips form/runoff goes).
    Last edited by ik9000; 13-05-2022 at 12:17 PM.

3. Received thanks from:

jimbouk (13-05-2022)

Thanks

.... except the battery devouring 18V coffee machine...
    ROFLMAO. I really made a rod for my own back with that saga (or Sage), didn't I? The gift that keeps on giving. Serves me right.

Despite my slightly less than totally serious comment about brushless, I am on the same page, there.

I tend to have a few guiding principles when buying things :=

- unless it's a very limited use item (like the angle grinder), then yeah, buy once, buy right.

- set an overall maximum spend, and don't break it unless the reason is very good indeed,

- but don't aim at the maximum. Aim lower, expecting to go up some, due to the second point. Be prepared for that.

- then, for whatever it is, look at the next model up, work out what I get, whether I need (or just really want) that, and what it costs.

For me, it's about the marginal gain by going a bit better, in the context of what it'll cost.

Some benefits are more important than others. For instance, at heart, I'm a truly lazy git. I value hassle-avoidance highly. Buying things is a hassle. Selling things is about 50x the hassle of buying, so I do not buy with a view to upgrading, unless I have no choice (like houses).

I'd rather buy a lot fewer things, but buy the best I can afford/justify, because it avoids the hassle of upgrading. I mean, upgrading by adding an extra bit on (like an extra PC hard drive), sure, no problem. Having to replace a bit, like changing GPU? .... Nah, not if I can help it, because doing so either means the hassle of selling the old one, or the wastefulness of leaving the old, working well but no longer sufficient, wasting away in a cupboad. Eiher the hassle of selling or the waste of not selling grinds my gears.

Case in point. Thinking about a new desktop. What memory do I need? Probably 16GB. What will I get? Probably 32GB (2x16). Why? Saves me doing it later, won't cost massively more (as a % of the PC), and leaves two slots (in any mobo I'm likely to get) for another 2x16 pair.

What GPU do I need? Urgh .... well, want/need, 3060-ish? What will I get? Partly due to anticipating not changing it, maybe 3070 but don't be surprised if I end up at 3080. Why? It's not that much more, and because i can. 3090? Now (for my needs and wants) that's just silly expensive.

So .... back on point. Brushless? Oh, hell, yeah. That one is nailed on, superglued, welded and fused in, for me.

Why? It's not that much more, and I just want it, okay? And .... because if I don't, buyer's remorse is going to ruin my retail therapy experience by making me wish I had, about 5 minutes after it arrives, whether I can actually tell the difference, for my needs, between brushed and brushless or not.

My actual advice (not that you asked for it) - decide on brushed vs BL based on the marginal cost, the marginal pain of spending the extra on it. And that depends on your circumstances, which only you know. My circumstances are based on being retired, no kids to support, house paid off and rarely going abroad these days, so I have a decent 'indulgences' pot. But it's not unlimited. If I spend it on 'A', I might or might not be able to spend it on 'B', or at least, not yet. Do I want 'it' enough to forego/defer 'B'? For the difference between standard and BL, it makes no odds. Between a Ford or an Aston Martin? Grrr, dammit.
    Last edited by Saracen999; 13-05-2022 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Tpyo
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

For occasional DIY brushed is fine provided you can service the brushes when the time comes.

I always buy cabled not battery as my usage tends to be in bursts and sporadic enough that batteries will start to decondition and become obsolete. Like our hedge trimmer that we now have to replace because GTech can't be bothered to sell batteries for it anymore. It's unsustainable BS. Perfectly good tools written off because of corporate laziness. I get if you're a tradesman going to different locations every day battery makes a lot of sense. For home DIY, give me 240V any day. The cable hassle is worth it for me.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I imagine it would be rectangular timber plate laid flat on top of stud wall, bolted double timber trimmer beam along the wall face (if spanning unsupported). Rafters notched onto timbers at both ends with birdmouth joints (2/3 depth of rafter typically) and frame cramps/rafter cramps/truss clips to hold things in place. NB to nog the rafters to brace them and stop rotation. Rafters and roofing should oversail the walls to give rain protection. SFAIK roof finishes should lap over eaves board and membrane brought back under. (Think about where drips form/runoff goes).
    Awesome thank you! Good to have the correct terminology as well. Spent a while looking through brackets but couldn't find one the right shape to hold a rafter on the beams!

Going round in circles looks at the power tools still though, found a reasonable looking set Makita DLX2221ST 18v Brushless Twin Kit DHP483 Combi + DTD155 Impact Driver Inc 2x 5.0Ah Batts but the driver (despite the higher number) seems to be significantly down on torque to the DTD153 which was the cheapest individual I was looking at (~£72 atm). Will keep searching!

Thanks

For occasional DIY brushed is fine provided you can service the brushes when the time comes.

I always buy cabled not battery as my usage tends to be in bursts and sporadic enough that batteries will start to decondition and become obsolete. Like our hedge trimmer that we now have to replace because GTech can't be bothered to sell batteries for it anymore. It's unsustainable BS. Perfectly good tools written off because of corporate laziness. I get if you're a tradesman going to different locations every day battery makes a lot of sense. For home DIY, give me 240V any day. The cable hassle is worth it for me.
    I agree on the issue of use and, to a degree, the 'infrequent use' point. I have to say, so far, I haven't had a problem with Makita batteries, or 48v Mountfield batteries for lawnmower, strimmer/brushcutter, etc. Or with availability of batteries. On that point, I'd stick with brands, being it Makita, deWalt, (or Mountfied), etc that are heavily used by trades and where they know they have to keep something as core as battery format for a good long time or they'll destroy their userbase. The whole point is a small number of easily replaceable batteries, that fit a wide range of tools over a wide period of time.

Even so, that won't eliminate the battery thing entirely, but it does (IMHO) minimise it, and you get the upside of not dragging power cords all over the place. It is so, so much nicer to mow the lawn, strim weeds, cut hedges etc without the cords dragging everywhere. My health does give me some limitations, I admit, so it focuses my attention on those differences, but it's the difference between those jobs being okay, kinda, and them wiping me out for a couple of days.

The Mountfield batteries are about 5 years old as of now, and still okay, but yeah, sooner or latter, they'll needs replacing. And they are emphatically not cheap. About £140 each, IIRC. But, it's worth it (to me) to avoid the cords .... and to not faff about with starting/maintaining engines.

Oh, and the battery in our Dyson portable cleaner must be a good 10+ years old now. It doesn't last as long as it used to but it is still going, and lasts long enough. Last time I checked with Dyson (2 or 3 years, I guess) they could still supply a replacement, but it turned out I didn't need it.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

My previous budget batter drill was on NiCad batteries I think, either way the performance dropped to nothing after a few years, no economical replacement options for it so had to go in the recycling. My current budget battery drill is going strong after a good number of years and stay charge pretty well for odd jobs, will probably pass it on if I do get another. I feel like the 18V tech has plateaued for a while now and it's simply manufacturers changes that are causing issues. Unofficial adapters appear to be available now, but like Saracen I'm hoping a professional leaning brand will not try and pull the same tricks consumer focussed ones do.

But I'm also aware that power tools are a luxury / fun item and I could probably complete my little project with cheap / existing / hand tools without too much more difficulty so no-one should feel sorry for me blowing some cash Battery powered is a huge convenience thing for me, can't imagine doing some previous jobs crawling around narrow areas with an extension trailing behind. I did go from a cordless hedge trimmer to a corded on after the former broke (was a double pack with a edge trimmer so second battery put to good use) - for the single job I could cope with the cable to get a lot better performance for the same money. Then I moved house after a couple of uses and gave it away...

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

I imagine it would be rectangular timber plate laid flat on top of stud wall, bolted double timber trimmer beam along the wall face (if spanning unsupported ie not fixed to the wall). Rafters notched onto timbers at both ends with birdmouth joints (2/3 depth of rafter typically i.e. 2/3 timber remaining, 1/3 cut out. You can go to 50% max but for thinner timbers it's usually better to stay at 1/3, particularly the low end where you want the rafter to continue)
    I'm curious about this now - is there a particular advantage of bolting two together rather than just using thicker wood?

Actually it looks like it's max 50mm on the C16 timber I can get. Sorry thinking out loud! So I'll go for a second piece on top of the lower side (stud wall). Less sure on the garage wall side. I was pondering the beam "on it's end" so I could bolt through it into the wall. If is was two on their sides then I would be best using brackets under the lower one I guess.

Will get back to the internet - struggling to get enough time to research, who knows when I'll actually get the rest of the bits I need!

And thanks to everyone for chipping in on this thread, keeping me motivated and moving forward

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I'm curious about this now - is there a particular advantage of bolting two together rather than just using thicker wood?

Actually it looks like it's max 50mm on the C16 timber I can get. Sorry thinking out loud! So I'll go for a second piece on top of the lower side (stud wall). Less sure on the garage wall side. I was pondering the beam "on it's end" so I could bolt through it into the wall. If is was two on their sides then I would be best using brackets under the lower one I guess.

Will get back to the internet - struggling to get enough time to research, who knows when I'll actually get the rest of the bits I need!

And thanks to everyone for chipping in on this thread, keeping me motivated and moving forward
    yes there is a benefit. 1) cheaper to order; 2) use of two members less susceptible to local knots, etc; 3) the design code allows a stress increase of 1.1x and higher modulus when pairs of timbers are used (due to the stats and probabilities of like-weakness in two separate timbers simultaneously); 4) easier to cut trunks into smaller sections without issues of grain patterns etc affecting properties (hence lower cost as 1); 5) less shrinkage and drying sensitivity, defects like wane, shakes etc reduced.

So yes, a big benefit to using pairs of bolted timbers. Primarily though, so far as the average chippy is concerned, it means he can just order one thing. And that, usually, makes everything easier for everyone.

The flat timber sits on top of the stud wall. Where this isn't the case the timbers should be in their strong orientation (2No 100dp x 50w bolted together in a pair to make 100w) To span your 3m (no support from brickwork) you'd probably be better with 3No 100 or 2No 125/150 dp if you think the roof is going to get any serious loading like someone standing on it, sticking a ladder on it etc. The only reason not to bolt into your wall (called a face fixed wall-plate, but often shortened to just "wall plate", which can also mean a flat timber sat on top of a wall) is if you think differential movement will be an issue (eg of the shallow concrete slab vs the house). Unless the wall is in very poor condition or very flimsy most brick walls should handle a modest loading from a small lean-to roof. My default would be to make the lean-to self supporting however and just flash/seal onto the wall but that's just so I could remove/replace it in future easily without affecting the main structure.
    Last edited by ik9000; 13-05-2022 at 10:44 PM.

11. Received thanks from:

jimbouk (14-05-2022)

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Managed to get some 2x4s from Wickes, picked up 12 of the best. B&Q were the cheapest but no stock. Lots with gashes on the corners or just not great - glad I picked myself rather than just getting delivery! A 'bonus' (or not consider the substantial price) was that it was actually C24 wood - I guess they just can't get stock of the C16. Will pop back again in a couple of weeks and get some more.

Also got myself a drill and battery set on order. Just pondering over the impact driver now. £40 for the cheapest brushed Matika atm, £65 for brushless - hopefully won't buy one again so I think I've made up my mind. Screwfix order in for the truss clips and the last couple of bits.

(Yet again) I think the only unknowns are the exterior paint (colour as much as anything!) and securing the top beam to the wall. No load on the roof except me when fitting it fortunately so don't need to massively over-engineer. Given the quality of off the shelf sheds I do wonder whether I've gone overkill on this one! But oh well hopefully it'll last a good long time.

The only other thought that keeps popping in my head is lighting. I do wonder if some perspex would make sense, can have a light but seems a shame to need it all the time. The long low wall will have a single piece of OSB for most of it, then a ~30cm strip at the top - I could use something in the middle section. Just looks at the fence and will be overhung by the roof - but long and wide could give a bit of general light (and shouldn't effect things too much). On the door side would be the obvious choice as it faces into the garden rather than a wall, but as my wee boy gets older it's going to be pelted with a football at some point I assume...

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

If it were me I'd just stick a light in there and pop a window in the door/wall rather than try to do a rooflight. They gunge up and often go brittle with UV. So solid looks a lot better if you ever need to sell. A basic glass window needs a lot less TLC. You could go for the third-world bottle ends through the roof if you want some eco-points but again, might raise a few eyebrows.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-bottles-light

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Oh no, wasn't thinking anything in the roof. Well I did briefly then I thought better of it with all the waterproofing hassle!

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

The first cut is the deepest, or so they say. It has begun! Sleepers chopped, currently sat on strips of wood on the garden table having been treated. The circular saw worked a treat, slight lip having to flip the sleepers mid chop but straighter than I would have managed by hand I'm sure! OSB boards for the walls have had an undercoat on one side, and gobbled up 2.5L of paint in the process! Currently one in the garage and 4 on the drive taking up a whole lot of room. Off to the shops shortly to pick up more undercoat and some impact sockets.

Dry run of the base before treating:

Think will go with the beam at the end making the side wall longer than 2.4m - will mean another join in the OSB but I can line this up with an upright and will now fully frame the door in 2x4 rather than attempting to make it round the sleepers. Glad to have a second pair of hands for a could of days, the full length sleeper is a bit heavy and the OSB boards are just awkward.

Second end treatment on the sleepers this evening. Tomorrow undercoat on the other side of the walls, sleepers together and secured, and maybe start construction on the end wall frame. And then probable a bit of a lull due to weekend plans. See what can be done in evenings but maybe another day off needed soon!

Edit: turns out I just bought 2.5L of undercoat not 5L as I thought, will but 5L next as I want to be able to do the edges with spare.
    Last edited by jimbouk; 31-05-2022 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

How big are your sleepers? I think my circular saw could do 100mm cut but then it depends on blade size and torque I guess. Perhaps I got lucky with the one we got.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

200x100mm profile sleepers, cut depth is 65mm. Seems pretty standard for the DIY end of the market.

So back to the original layout as I didn't fancy buying longer 2x4 which would be needed if the end wall was longer. And it turns out the search on Screwfix has let me down and I bought the wrong paint, swapped this morning for 2.5L of the correct primer again. This time managed to use less but coverage seems as good. Probably should have used a gloss roller as well, crossed my mind half way through the second side! Edges and both sides done, will put back in the garage tomorrow until some frame is constructed then can cut, edge prime then exterior paint.

And my new drill and impact driver are great. Haven't joined the sleepers together yet but hole made and screws almost through the first one like a hot knife through butter

Thanks

Did I miss which drill and driver you got? IIRC, you were tending towards Makita brushless, yes?

And it's surprising (well, to me, anyway) just how effective battery tools can be, at least until the batteries get old. They seem way better than my old (and admittedly, pretty cheap) NiCad versions. I was shocked at just how good the lawnmower and strimmer/brushcutter were .... at a price.

Thread Information